CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stoneg1
Posts in topic: 1

Minimum Caliber for Handgun Proficiency Exam

Post by stoneg1 »

Senate Bill 263  Effective: September 1, 2017
Caption: Relating to the handgun proficiency required to obtain or renew a license to carry a handgun.
This bill removes the minimum caliber of handgun to be used in the handgun proficiency examination.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Minimum Caliber for Handgun Proficiency Exam

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

IIRC, the old minimum was .32.

Since the minimum has now been removed, people with recoil sensitivity issues
may now use a .22 or .25.

Even a .22 is much better than harsh words. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

NotRPB wrote:I guess even a .17 hmr pistol ?
https://www.google.com/search?q=.17+hmr ... PAZK7LCFCI
A .22 short revolver would have less recoil.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

A 4" or 6" revolver in .22 shooting Calibre's would have less recoil than just closing the cylinder on the reload. "rlol"

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

Not that I would expect it to happen often, but since there is no caliber restriction, could one use an AR pistol with a brace, and then since the atf has decided it's ok, shoulder it?
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Medley86 wrote:Not that I would expect it to happen often, but since there is no caliber restriction, could one use an AR pistol with a brace, and then since the atf has decided it's ok, shoulder it?
I would allow it. But remember, you are not allowed to use optics, red dots, lasers, etc. Only open sights.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

locke_n_load wrote:
Medley86 wrote:Not that I would expect it to happen often, but since there is no caliber restriction, could one use an AR pistol with a brace, and then since the atf has decided it's ok, shoulder it?
I would allow it. But remember, you are not allowed to use optics, red dots, lasers, etc. Only open sights.

Yeah I knew about the no optics restrictions, honestly the shooting part of the class wasn't hard enough I would ever feel like I need that kind of advantage. It was more of a stray thought I had. Having shot the qualification already, I feel like I would have a reasonable chance of passing if I got to take a good look before every string then was blindfolded.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

As long as the brace has not been modified and the shoulder use is incidential, sporadic, or situational.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

jmorris wrote:
As long as the brace has not been modified and the shoulder use is incidential, sporadic, or situational.
True about the modification. But about the shouldering, that is your interpretation. Texas DPS does not dictate how you must hold a pistol to qualify, and ATF has since "updated" 'their opinion that shouldering a brace does not re-classify the firearm. So in my opinion as an instructor, shouldering would be ok. Not preferred, but ok.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

locke_n_load wrote:
jmorris wrote:
True about the modification. But about the shouldering, that is your interpretation. Texas DPS does not dictate how you must hold a pistol to qualify, and ATF has since "updated" 'their opinion that shouldering a brace does not re-classify the firearm. So in my opinion as an instructor, shouldering would be ok. Not preferred, but ok.
It's late for me so I'm not going on go cut and paste but in my reading of both memos the concern was the incidental shouldering of the pistol and that was what the ATI clarified.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

jmorris wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
jmorris wrote:
It's late for me so I'm not going on go cut and paste but in my reading of both memos the concern was the incidental shouldering of the pistol and that was what the ATI clarified.
I gotcha. What I took away was the intent when building the pistol originally. If the intent was to put on a brace and use that as a stock, then they made an illegal SBR. But if they built it to use as a pistol, and then shouldered it later, as long as that was not their intention when building it, then it is ok to shoulder at a later time.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

couzin

Post by couzin »

I'll bite - why would you want to? How do you plan on packing that thing around dude?
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

couzin wrote:
I'll bite - why would you want to? How do you plan on packing that thing around dude?
Texas LTC doesn't list the guns you qualified with and doesn't restrict what you can carry based on caliber or action type. You can qualify with a .22LR revolver and carry a Desert Eagle or vice versa.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

couzin

Post by couzin »

Heck - I know that, nor am I oblivious to the whole BATF "brace" issue on pistol ARs. I also am aware of Medley86 just posting a straw man question/comment. I was simply asking, why, pray tell, would anyone even consider showing up at the range qualification with a short barrel AR with (or without for that matter) a brace?
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”