What’s with the gun community

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

What’s with the gun community

Post by cmgee67 »

I have never understood why the gun community can be so judge mental on what firearm an individual chooses to carry. I understand we have freedom of speech (praise the Lord) and can give our opinions but, does it really matter what someone else carries? I was always told to carry the gun that you are GOING to carry. People go out and buy a full size 1911 and think that toting 40 oz plus is no big deal but figure out wow this was a bad idea and it’s to heavy. Well if it’s too heavy they are going to leave It at home. Some people can carry a gun that large daily I’m not one. If you can and do more power to you. I have heard people say if you don’t carry a glock 19 or sig p320 or a 1911 then you are dumb. I have heard others say a revolver is obsolete. That is a farce in and of itself. I don’t care what gun you carry whether it’s a Ruger LCP or a high point C9. I might make suggestions on good carry guns if asked but I won’t ever criticize someone for what they choose. Sometimes its a money thing and that 200$ Taurus millennium g2 appeals to them and their budget and works for them. Sometimes it’s a weight issue. I know some people who can’t carry a heavy gun due to back issues and have to carry something light.

Sorry about my rant but it has been on my
Mind for a while.

mot7981
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What’s with the gun community

Post by mot7981 »

Right on cmgee67. Make your own decision based on your own research/experience and carry on!

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Mostly just because were human. I agree with you 100% and I would be lying if I said that I haven't fallen into that category a time or two in the past. But as the older I get and hopefully a little wiser I tend to not be as judgmental and like you say prefer if asked to share my opinions without hurting the other persons feelings. And again I agree on the point that the gun you have with you is better than the one at home. I am currently in the market right now to change out my CC after only 1 week of carrying. The gun I am giving up and the new one that I am looking at is due to my personal feelings as far as caliber, weight, etc... and it's just that MY personal needs and feelings as to what works best for ME... Fortunately at my age I have no problems telling anyone else who wants to thumb their nose down at any of my choices where to stick it... I guess it just boils down to getting a thicker skin and being more confident in yourself..

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

cmgee67 wrote:I have never understood why the gun community can be so judge mental on what firearm an individual chooses to carry. I understand we have freedom of speech (praise the Lord) and can give our opinions but, does it really matter what someone else carries? I was always told to carry the gun that you are GOING to carry. People go out and buy a full size 1911 and think that toting 40 oz plus is no big deal but figure out wow this was a bad idea and it’s to heavy. Well if it’s too heavy they are going to leave It at home. Some people can carry a gun that large daily I’m not one. If you can and do more power to you. I have heard people say if you don’t carry a glock 19 or sig p320 or a 1911 then you are dumb. I have heard others say a revolver is obsolete. That is a farce in and of itself. I don’t care what gun you carry whether it’s a Ruger LCP or a high point C9. I might make suggestions on good carry guns if asked but I won’t ever criticize someone for what they choose. Sometimes its a money thing and that 200$ Taurus millennium g2 appeals to them and their budget and works for them. Sometimes it’s a weight issue. I know some people who can’t carry a heavy gun due to back issues and have to carry something light.

Sorry about my rant but it has been on my
Mind for a while.
:iagree: :patriot: :txflag:

While I have seen examples of this attitude here, and been its target, it has been my experience that our fellow forum-members are usually polite and helpful.

I carry a S&W M&P Mod 2.0, 9mm, 5 inch, FDE. It fits my needs and capabilities. My wife carries a Ruger LCR .38. It fits her needs and capabilities.

Some folks seem to have similar issues with carry method. I prefer to carry openly. My wife prefers to carry concealed.

My hope for others is that they will pick a legal self-defense tool and carry method that works well for them, work to become proficient in its use, and carry safely.

I spent 34 years in the Army. I have been thoroughly conditioned in meeting the violent threat with superior violence. My wife, on the other hand, is only slowly coming to that place. This is to be expected as she has not benefited from Uncle Sam's tutelage.

We each enter the realm of self-defense from our own place/experiences. We each adapt in our own way. It seems to me that those of us with more experience should be working to politely help those with less.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us. Y'all carry on!
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I agree. The gun community is no different than any other "community" of flawed human beings. Making it worse is the modern disease of social media which tends to make people speak at times without thinking, reasoning, respect or common sense. Guilty of this myself.

What makes the gun community different is that we should be more thoughtful, reasonable, respectful and exhibit more common sense as we fight together for our natural right to self defense and the protection of that right via the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

Carry what's comfortable and you will carry every day, carry what you train with and carry what you will defend freedom with. It's your life and no one has any right to disparage your choices because they choose differently.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Nano

Post by Nano »

Good rant. You should feel better now. I don't run with the same gun crowd that you run with. None of the folks that I associate with are judgemental at all about the gun one carries. Most carry 9mm or .45 but not the really large variety. I carry a 380, 9 or 45 depending on conditions and the mood I'm in. I have never been criticized about what I choose to carry.
NRA Member

flechero

Post by flechero »

Carry what your wardrobe, job, back and lifestyle allow you to get away with.... Some days it actually IS a steel 1911 for me. Other days it's a keltec, or a j frame.

Now I might rib you a little if you carry a .22 derringer under a winter coat, just because you could carry something much bigger, just as easily! :lol: But it would be in good clean fun. :cheers2:

GreenMan0352

Post by GreenMan0352 »

For me and my friends its just a friendly rivalry. Kind of like the old Chevy vs Ford thing or your team vs my team. In reality I don't actually hate the gun someone else is carrying and I could care less the make of vehicle. It just makes things more interesting when theres a little rivalry.

On the forums though as well as other internet pages such as YouTube or Reddit I have seen what you are talking about. I think you can generally boil it down to one of three categorys.

1. The person genuinely believes that they have the best carry firearm and they will list all the reasons why it is superior to all other firearms and why you need to buy one. I once got into a pretty explicit argument with this kid trying to tell me the Beretta 92 is the greatest handgun ever made and he referenced so many branches and agencies that use/used them and tried telling me I've obviously never handled one even though I owned two at the time. They preach their "gospel" loud and proud as if it were true. Its like C.S Lewis said, "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals."

2. They are ignorant and either believe we all are the same or they have little experience and believe they are "good" shots when they never have actually seen good. They believe all of us have the same income the same health the same strengths etc.

3. The trolls and the ones joking. Some of these people just gets kicks out of making people mad and getting under your skin the other half in this category I believe are just teasing as my friends and I do with each other. Just a friendly rivalry.

Whatever group or category they fit in it shouldn't bother you. I understand there will always be that small part of us that desires acceptance and approval but we shouldn't let it get to us. Who are they right? Just humans like you and I. As my people say easy come easy go friend.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Carry what suits your personal preference is my idea in regards to the topic. Safety first is a must and safe handling of a firearm is still the highest priority!

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

While I like to kid those that carry 1911s as folks who like to carry antique firearms, I consider that in good fun. I expect the same in return for preferring my plastic guns. What to carry and shoot are definitely a personal choice.

Having been involved in several different types of forums I can say that this isn't limited to the firearms community. Many folks in all sorts of circles get quite defensive that their chosen/preferred thing is the only proper choice and those that disagree are total rubes.

Speaking of guns, there are holy wars in history that are less contentious than the battles that erupt between folks defending their brand of AR-15. Those get downright merciless.

This forum is one of the best firearms forums I've come across in my travels across the internet. While we aren't perfect and perhaps not as high volume, this is a great and friendly place.
Last edited by SQLGeek on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psalm 91:2

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I say carry what feels best to you. If you are fortunate enough where your budget does not dictate what you can own then great. That does not mean the most expensive is the best thing for you to carry. If budget does pay a big role in what you carry, then there are many choices that are better than a "pocket of rocks". ( a pocket of rocks is better than nothing IMO)
If you do not carry because what you have is too heavy or uncomfortable to wear, then get something that is better. If you carry, you will always have to make adjustments in your wardrobe if you want to carry concealed.
Bottom line, if you do not carry because you do not want to carry, that is up to you and it is your choice. If you do not carry, let it be because you do not want to carry, not because you have not taken the time to find something that you want to carry. I have been told that less than 15% LTC holders do not carry on a regular basis and the majority rarely carry at all. I do not know where these figures came from or how valid they are but they make sense with what I have found out on my own.
Just to answer the question in the OP, there is really nothing wrong with the gun community. It is just like most groups, you have those who understand one's ability and right to choose for themselves and you have those who think that one has the ability and right to choose for themselves as long as they choose the way they think they should. Just sayin.
Last edited by twomillenium on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

CZp10
Banned

Post by CZp10 »

I don’t see people on this site as judgmental with respect to what people carry, which is great, but I agree with you that on some other sites it is pretty bad. So many will insist on trying to prove whether 9, 40, or 45 is best, while others say 380 is useless. None of that is true, the science is clear at this point, all standard handgun ammo is terrible compared to a rifle round.

My guess would be that the not so nice judgmental people who feel that have to carry around a certain caliber and a large number of rounds have to justify the discomfort they are forced to deal with every day. They do that by putting down others who carry “less.”

To give one example, the LCP II with Hornady Critical Defense FTX is a very effective self-defense tool that is extremely light and comfortable to carry. With practice it is not hard to shoot accurately and quickly. Many people on the web will tell you are crazy to carry something so small and ineffective. But ER surgeons, realistic ballistic tests, and homicide detectives will all tell you the opposite, it is great self-defense tool.

Practice, train, and carry something, but whatever that something is has to be up to each person. We should be encouraging people to practice and carry whatever they can, even if it is something small. The average person has no interest in changing their entire wardrobe, or wearing big over shirts in summer, a small light gun in a Sticky or Remora can work with almost any outfit.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"the science is clear at this point, all standard handgun ammo is terrible compared to a rifle round."

Well said.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I think it's human nature to advocate for what you have chosen, whether it be your choice of vehicle, or golf clubs, or grills, or even your parenting style. Guns are no different. IANAP (I Am Not A Psychologist) but I suspect it might have something to do with seeking validation and worrying that people think you are a fool. The flip side of this is getting more upset than we should when people criticize our choices. And we then are frequently guilty of doing the same thing we are complaining about. Something like this - "Hey you should carry a full size 1911, not that stupid little plastic gun" (unreasonable criticism of your choice for a small plastic gun). To which one might respond with, "well my 'little plastic gun' won't jam every other round like your 1911 and it doesn't feel like I am carrying a small child on my gosh darn hip" (natural instinct to respond with criticism in response to the criticism you are complaining about).

I agree with the other posters that as a group, the members of this site are better than most at respecting the decisions of our fellow LTC holders. We do get a bit testy about OC vs CC, with most of the negative language coming from the anti-OC side, IMHO. But for the most part, I think the "Glock perfection" and "Real men carry a 1911" stuff is said (typed) in a joking manner.

Personally, I can't stand to have my choices criticized, so my carry rotation includes (in no particular order) a Kel-Tec P3AT, a Kahr CM9, Shield 9mm, Shield 45, Walther PPS, Glock 19, 21, 34, and 42, J frame with an exposed hammer, and one with a shrouded hammer, a DW CCO, a Nighthawk Talon 2, an STI Trojan, a Walther PPQ in 9mm and 45, a Sig P938, P226 MK25, P227, Sphinx SDP (compact and sub-compact), CZ SDP, 75, and Shadow, and a few others. I dare anyone to not approve of at least one of my carry guns. But just in case there is someone who doesn't like any of these guns, I also have a bunch of rifles and shotguns. Oh and I make sure to both CC and OC.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

I agree with all said. Today I am pocket carrying my Ruger lcr 357 with a speed strip on my belt. And I feel just fine! Nice light package. Due to work I have to stay pretty concealed so this works for me. I’m confident with it. Tomorrow I may carry my 45 shield or my glock 19. Usually it depends on how I feel or what I’m wearing or where I am. I’m comfortable with all and and switch from either of them with no issues. This forum is one of the few places I’ve seen that is pretty neutral. I have seen some not so nice things here but that’s human nature!

Return to “Off-Topic”