Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flowrie
Posts in topic: 3

New Glock convert? We will see.

Post by flowrie »

Never owned a Glock until now.
Stumbled across a fairly good deal on a Glock 17 Gen 3, advertised as slightly used, but looks brand new to me, no residue, no marks, etc...
In the box, all paper work still sealed. $440 for it with 4 mags.
The trigger is really, really good compared to my M&P's, even better than the M&P's with the APEX kits. Not like my 1911's, but still very good.
Thought I would use it in action matches, nice to have 17 rd mags.

Any tips or recommendations regarding lube or other things out there to make it run well?
Left thumb on the slide but does anyone put a forefinger on the front of the trigger guard?

Will let you know how it goes after Oct 21st.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Soccerdad1995

Re: New Glock convert? We will see.

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

flowrie wrote:Never owned a Glock until now.
Stumbled across a fairly good deal on a Glock 17 Gen 3, advertised as slightly used, but looks brand new to me, no residue, no marks, etc...
The trigger is really, really good compared to my M&P's, even better than the M&P's with the APEX kits. Not like my 1911's, but still very good.

Any tips or recommendations regarding lube or other things out there to make it run well?
Left thumb on the slide but does anyone put a forefinger on the front of the trigger guard?

I have owned 10 Glocks or so, and currently have 4 in my safe. Not an "expert", but I am pretty familiar with these guns. Slightly used will look brand new. Extremely used will look close to brand new, as long as the gun hasn't been abused. Even then it will be perfectly functional, just a bit uglier looking than when it started life. Not surprised the paperwork is all sealed. After your first one there is no point in opening it up or looking at the manual. And that's a very good price, especially considering the two extra mags.

I'm thinking that trigger may have had some work done. My stock Glock triggers have never been all that good. The main negative, for me, is the "bump" that you encounter after the pre-travel. But some like that since it helps them know exactly when the gun is going to fire. For me knowing leads to anticipation, which leads to inaccuracy. On the flip side, the reset is legendary.

The main tip regarding lube is to not use much of it. At all. If you thoroughly de-grease the gun during cleaning (using Gun Scrubber or the like), then put a drop on each rail and a drop on the trigger connector. You don't need much more than that. Excessive lube can supposedly cause issues, but personally I haven't had any issues.

I have thought about putting a finger on the front of the trigger guard, since it is so well shaped for that, but I don't want to use a different grip than I use for my other guns.

CZp10
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CZp10 »

The best place for Glock questions is glocktalk in my opinion. I think Glocks are really easy to take care of, and extremely reliable in my experience. I have a few and one for almost 20 years. Besides being reliable and not picky about ammo, what I really like is being my own armorer (at least to some degree). It is easy to take apart a Glock completely, down to the last spring. Sorry if this is insulting at all and you know it already, I never know the expertise of people, but here are some videos I think are helpful to new Glock owners.
Cleaning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGpLf0Ja65Y
Disassemble the slide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5PPSydOdz8
Disassemble the receiver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xxHm29o-E

That said, I do like my CZ P-10c a tiny bit better :smile:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

CZp10 wrote:The best place for Glock questions is glocktalk in my opinion. I think Glocks are really easy to take care of, and extremely reliable in my experience. I have a few and one for almost 20 years. Besides being reliable and not picky about ammo, what I really like is being my own armorer (at least to some degree). It is easy to take apart a Glock completely, down to the last spring. Sorry if this is insulting at all and you know it already, I never know the expertise of people, but here are some videos I think are helpful to new Glock owners.
Cleaning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGpLf0Ja65Y
Disassemble the slide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5PPSydOdz8
Disassemble the receiver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xxHm29o-E

That said, I do like my CZ P-10c a tiny bit better :smile:
I agree on the ease of disassembly and ability to be your own armorer. Most people should be able to easily install just about any type of upgrade to a Glock, if you are so inclined.

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I have owned 10 Glocks or so, and currently have 4 in my safe. Not an "expert", but I am pretty familiar with these guns. Slightly used will look brand new. Extremely used will look close to brand new, as long as the gun hasn't been abused. Even then it will be perfectly functional, just a bit uglier looking than when it started life. Not surprised the paperwork is all sealed. After your first one there is no point in opening it up or looking at the manual. And that's a very good price, especially considering the two extra mags.

I'm thinking that trigger may have had some work done. My stock Glock triggers have never been all that good. The main negative, for me, is the "bump" that you encounter after the pre-travel. But some like that since it helps them know exactly when the gun is going to fire. For me knowing leads to anticipation, which leads to inaccuracy. On the flip side, the reset is legendary.

The main tip regarding lube is to not use much of it. At all. If you thoroughly de-grease the gun during cleaning (using Gun Scrubber or the like), then put a drop on each rail and a drop on the trigger connector. You don't need much more than that. Excessive lube can supposedly cause issues, but personally I haven't had any issues.

I have thought about putting a finger on the front of the trigger guard, since it is so well shaped for that, but I don't want to use a different grip than I use for my other guns.
Glocks can get uglier?

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

I have the same comments. They are reliable, accurate enough, and easy to maintain. The design isn't really pretty, but it is simple and straightforward. Triggers aren't the best, but they are good enough. The Glock 19 is probably one of the best concealed carry pistols you can buy based on size and ammo capacity.

That said, I shoot my CZ pistols better and they just fit my hands better so they are my first choice for shooting and carry.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

1911 10MM wrote: Glocks can get uglier?
Have you seen some of the homemade modifications? :mrgreen:

rotor

Post by rotor »

I have owned 4 glocks and now own three. Glock 26 times 2, one given to my brother, Glock 21 and Glock 43. All I really do is run a bore snake down the barrel, lightly oil everything and that's it. I have never had a FTF, FTE or any kind of the gun not working right in well over 30 years of Glock ownership. The oldest ones still look like new and they are well over 30 years old. Do I really like them? Not really but they always work. Always.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

1911 10MM wrote: Glocks can get uglier?
Yes, but you really have to actively try and make them uglier, IMHO.

Topic author
flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Used the new Glock 17 Gen 3 today at a match, worked great for about 100 rds, then the slide release pin walked itself right out of the right side of the frame at the end of stage 4. Pushed it back in, at stage 5 inserted a new mag, slide would not move forward. Cleared weapon, Removed the pin, reinserted, then it worked fine.

Not too happy with the Glock, perhaps I had my left thumb on the slide release while shooting? Any ideas?
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Glock438715

Post by Glock438715 »

Ive owned a gen 3 17 for many years and it has never failed me once... I do a very simple clean and lube with BALLISTOL.. functions perfect. Quick. Easy. Cheap.
Proud Father. Proud Husband. Proud Texan.
I couldn't be happier.... :coolgleamA:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I’m a 1911 guy who owns 6 Glocks - Gen4 17, 19, 26, and 43x2, and a Gen3 19 - and carries nothing but Glocks. Yes, they are not pretty guns. The stock triggers? Well, on the ones I have, they’re not too bad.....could be worse......could also be better......but I’ve never found them to be an impediment to shooting them reasonably well. The grip angle? Weird, but it seems I’m able to get used to anything. They are not “maintenance free”, but they are about as low maintenance as a mechanical object can get and still function well.

I agree that the 19 is about the best all around carry gun there is, but I also added +2 round pinkey rests to all my G26 mags, and so I find that I carry the 26 a lot more often than the 19. It is still significantly smaller, but with 13 rounds on tap (12+1), plus a couple of 12 round backup mags, it is a smaller carry package with only a few rounds less than the 19. And being smaller, I often use appendix carry, which I find conceals better and is a quicker draw for me.

I really like my 17, which was my first Glock, and I used to carry it regularly. But I find lately that it’s just easier to carry the smaller guns, so...... I call the 17 my “go to war” gun.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

16Adams

Post by 16Adams »

Glock 32 with light on rail. It’s not my EDC- but is my every time traveler. 13+1x3, never had a misfire of any type-ever. It’s always been fed Lawman and Speer GDHP. Always. As for oil, I use more of a smear than a drop. A little on your index finger (I use M1 and Ballistol currently but have used others). It’s the only Glock I’ve ever owned. I’ve contemplated the G19 and 29SF, but I won’t.

357Sig-45ACP-10MM

flechero

Post by flechero »

flowrie wrote: Used the new Glock 17 Gen 3 today at a match, worked great for about 100 rds, then the slide release pin walked itself right out of the right side of the frame at the end of stage 4. Pushed it back in, at stage 5 inserted a new mag, slide would not move forward. Cleared weapon, Removed the pin, reinserted, then it worked fine.
So, not a convert?

In all seriousness, that stinks! I would have also been severely disappointed.

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

Until 2 years ago I had very little time with Glocks. I had shot several but did not own one. My wife has a lot more time on a Glock as they have been her department issued sidearm for several years. She owns two G22, one a Gen 3 and the other a Gen 4. Both were her issued sidearms. The Gen 3 she purchased when they traded them in on the Gen 4 which she was given as part of her retirement after 22+ years. When I returned to LE in 2015, I was issued a G22 Gen 3 which I carried until 2 months ago when I purchased my first Glock, a G20SF used that had TruGlo TFX sights and 3 mags along with the box. It shot very good. I removed the finger groves or more accurately the humps and install Talon rubberized grips. I also releived the lower right trigger guard to keep it from digging into my middle finger. I also removed some of the lower inside trigger guard to increase the space between the bottom of the trigger and trigger guard. I also puchased 3 more new mags and Safariland duty gear. Took it to the range and put 500 rds through it of all types of 10mm including my current duty ammo, Underwood 165gr BJHP. It never missed a beat. It is my new duty sidearm. I feel it is a very good modern replacement for my retired duty pistol, a Colt DE SS which I got new in 1987.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”