Hard Chrome in Texas?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 5

Hard Chrome in Texas?

Post by Boxerrider »

It seems like I've seen this asked before but I'm not having any luck finding the answer.
I have an FN High Power I want to have hard chromed and would rather take it to somebody in-state than ship it. I know there are Texas plating companies serving industries, is there anybody plating firearms comercially?

Thanks!
Jeff

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hard Chrome in Texas?

Post by bmwrdr »

Boxerrider wrote:It seems like I've seen this asked before but I'm not having any luck finding the answer.
I have an FN High Power I want to have hard chromed and would rather take it to somebody in-state than ship it. I know there are Texas plating companies serving industries, is there anybody plating firearms comercially?

Thanks!
Jeff
I had motorcycle parts re chromed many years ago and went to Strokers in Dallas not too far from my home. Theey did a great jon, turn around time and price was okay too. Not sure if they do gun parts but it may be worth a call. Their phone number is on the web.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

bmwrdr wrote:
Boxerrider wrote:It seems like I've seen this asked before but I'm not having any luck finding the answer.

Thanks!
Jeff
I had motorcycle parts re chromed many years ago and went to Strokers in Dallas not too far from my home. Theey did a great jon, turn around time and price was okay too. Not sure if they do gun parts but it may be worth a call. Their phone number is on the web.

:tiphat:
I didn't find anything about firearms on their site, and assume they're doing traditional bright chrome over copper. It looks like Armoloy has a location in Fort Worth that hard chromes firearms at a very reasonable price, although their options are limited.
I want a matte finish with brushed/satin flats on the slide, and this gun needs a little metal finishing before being plated. I think I'll suck it up and send it to APW.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

Chrome plating a gun??? :grumble

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ghostrider »

try Hank Fleming in Austin
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

cmgee67 wrote:Chrome plating a gun??? :grumble:
Hard chrome plating... :roll:

Topic author
Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

ghostrider wrote:try Hank Fleming in Austin
Thanks! Does he do the plating or send it out?

Topic author
Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

warnmar10 wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Chrome plating a gun??? :grumble:
Hard chrome plating... :roll:
This will be used mostly by my wife. It will spend almost all of its time holstered, sometimes in a vehicle, sometimes in a purse, frequently moving back and forth between temperature and humidity extremes. Well-done, hard chrome plating is durable and corrosion resistant. While I find a matte finish with satin flats on the slide attractive, others do not. I'm ok with that.

Enjoy!

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I was just bustin your chops! When done right it does look good on certain guns!

flechero

Post by flechero »

For the nominal cost of shipping, I'd pick the most reputable option and send it out. Considering the risks involved with saving a few bucks, or not if you have to spend a few hours driving to deliver and p/u... I'd gladly send it to Robar or another well known and reputable finish shop. I like the idea of Robar and having the internals done in NP3. (in fact once I get my STI finished, that's exactly what I'm planning to do)

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I SECOND Robar..... they do amazing work and have been around a long time. In this kinda of job your goin to get what you pay for.

Topic author
Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

cmgee67 wrote:I was just bustin your chops! When done right it does look good on certain guns!
;-)

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ghostrider »

ghostrider wrote:
try Hank Fleming in Austin
Thanks! Does he do the plating or send it out?

He sends it out. Not sure who it goes to, but I had an RIA slide done in a satin chrome, and it turned out great.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I also recommend NP3. I have a Beretta 96G Centurion that was NP3 coated for Palm Beach PD in the late 90s. I used a little mag polish on the sides of the slide. That made a huge difference in the looks of it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”