TX: Sutherland Springs church 26 dead 20 injured in mass shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Re: TX: Sutherland Springs church 27 dead 30 injured in mass shooting

Post by C-dub »

howdy wrote:Who on this forum wants to get in a gunfight...handgun vs AR-15.
I doubt there is anyone that wants to volunteer for that. However, if that is the hand I'm dealt I will play it the best I can.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Another thing that's notable is that the news media isn't making a PEEP about the real hero here: the guy - the "local armed resident" who engaged in a gunfight with the shooter outside the church and stopped him, apparently killing him. Not a peep. No name, nothing. Of course, there are lots of on-camera interviews with the cowboy yahoo who chased after him in his truck. Civilians shooting at bad guys is a politically incorrect news topic.
-Ruark

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Beiruty »

C-dub wrote:
I doubt there is anyone that wants to volunteer for that. However, if that is the hand I'm dealt I will play it the best I can.
You have to do what you have to do... No iffs no buts. A handgun, can zip fire 10 rds in 5 secs. Anyone on the receiving side would be dazzled.

A competition style handgun can put a bullet at playing card sized target at 7-9 yards.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

AndyC wrote:People are saying the good guy didn't help as the shooter had already shot everyone in the church already anyway - grrr
Well heck, in that case, let's just not have the police respond to active shooters at all. Mouth breathing idiots. :mad5
Psalm 91:2

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

Beiruty wrote:Another sad "Supernova" incident.
from this article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/local-media- ... 55639.html

The armed citizen who engaged the gunman killed him. The mass shooter was fleeing in his car, got shot and lost control of his car. The the armed citizen with his truck driver stayed 5 mins at scene until LEOs are arrived. The mass shooter was dead on the steering wheel. Anti-gunners can't spin facts at will.

Confirmation and fully story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hurch.html
"Texas Department of Public Safety Regional Director Freeman Martin said Willeford, a keen biker, had 'grabbed his rifle and engaged the suspect'."

Okay, I have a question here. What is a keen biker?
Good for these guys. Now lets see how the libtards spin it to their way of thinking. (Let's see; Willeford picked up a rock and hit the gunman injuring him before he took off in a high speed chase)
My prayers to the victims, their families, blood and church, and friends
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

According to Fox News this morning, the shooter was denied a Texas LTC. (source was Gov. Abbott)
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Pawpaw »

RPBrown wrote:Okay, I have a question here. What is a keen biker?
The Daily Mail is a British publication. "Keen biker" translates to "enthusiastic biker". The US and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language. ;-)
howdy wrote:According to Fox News this morning, the shooter was denied a Texas LTC. (source was Gov. Abbott)
Which makes perfect sense, since his BC discharge was the result of a domestic violence conviction.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Is anybody talking about how he was able to purchase the guns? The Sheriff's office said nothing came up on his background check, yet he was supposed to be disqualified, due to the Dishonorable Discharge and spending a year in jail for assaulting his wife and child. Was this a glitch in the NICS system, perhaps? If it was, it's pretty serious.
-Ruark

remanifest

Post by remanifest »

Ruark wrote:Is anybody talking about how he was able to purchase the guns? The Sheriff's office said nothing came up on his background check, yet he was supposed to be disqualified, due to the Dishonorable Discharge and spending a year in jail for assaulting his wife and child. Was this a glitch in the NICS system, perhaps? If it was, it's pretty serious.
Likely a private sale, because no background check is required in those cases. All the more reason to require that the buyer present a LTC for private sales. I, for one, will not be selling any weapons to non-LTC holders.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

mojo84
Posts in topic: 15

Post by mojo84 »

We do not know if he acquired his guns before or after his conviction.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Someone may want to correct the title to the thread. It seems to be confirmed there are 26 dead at this point.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Discharge by definition: https://themilitarywallet.com/types-of- ... ischarges/

Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD)
The Bad Conduct Discharge is only passed on to enlisted military members and is given by a court-martial due to punishment for bad conduct. A Bad Conduct discharge is often preceded by time in military prison. Virtually all veteran’s benefits are forfeited if discharged due to Bad Conduct.

Dishonorable Discharge
If the military considers a service members actions to be reprehensible, the general court-martial can determine a dishonorable discharge is in order. Murder and sexual assault are examples of situations which would result in a dishonorable discharge. If someone is dishonorably discharged from the military they are not allowed to own firearms according to US federal law. Military members who receive a Dishonorable Discharge forfeit all military and veterans benefits and may have a difficult time finding work in the civilian sector.

It's my understanding that a BCD for anything other than domestic violence or more than 12 months confinement, will not preclude you from owning a firearm. Until they release the actual charge, it would be difficult to speculate his rights to gun ownership.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

C-dub wrote:
:iagree:

Liberals are continuing to get more vicious.
Last edited by John Galt on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Pawpaw »

This may have been yet another failure of the NICS system.
The federal government's firearm transaction record, which buyers must legally fill out, asks about felony convictions. Kelley bought a Ruger AR-556 rifle, used in the attack on the church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, in April of last year from an Academy Sports & Outdoors store in San Antonio, a law-enforcement official told CNN.

The purchase of the gun took place two years after Kelley had been court-martialed, imprisoned, and discharged from the military.
http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-ch ... ce-2017-11
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

gtolbert09 wrote:Discharge by definition: https://themilitarywallet.com/types-of- ... ischarges/

Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD)
The Bad Conduct Discharge is only passed on to enlisted military members and is given by a court-martial due to punishment for bad conduct. A Bad Conduct discharge is often preceded by time in military prison. Virtually all veteran’s benefits are forfeited if discharged due to Bad Conduct.

Dishonorable Discharge
If the military considers a service members actions to be reprehensible, the general court-martial can determine a dishonorable discharge is in order. Murder and sexual assault are examples of situations which would result in a dishonorable discharge. If someone is dishonorably discharged from the military they are not allowed to own firearms according to US federal law. Military members who receive a Dishonorable Discharge forfeit all military and veterans benefits and may have a difficult time finding work in the civilian sector.

It's my understanding that a BCD for anything other than domestic violence or more than 12 months confinement, will not preclude you from owning a firearm. Until they release the actual charge, it would be difficult to speculate his rights to gun ownership.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/must-mi ... 9D-offense

Return to “The Crime Blotter”