Called out in church on my CC

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Called out in church on my CC

Post by chasfm11 »

We just changed churches in August, 2016

In our old church, I was a member of the board and good friends with the then interim pastor. He found out that I carried. Several of the other board members did, too, The president of the congregation tapped me to help lead the discussion about open carry when that came up. I helped them work through the decision. They were going to prohibit OC but I managed to get them to do it without posted signs. II also helped them work through the child care licensing letter which strongly implied that they needed to post 30.06 signs on the church because of the nursery school that the chuch hosted. I knew through personal contacts that a number of others in the congregation. The total number that I knew about came pretty close to the state percentage of LTC holders in the population. There was a very strong anti-gun group within the congregation so there was never public discussion.

When we joined the new church, it also had no signs. I "tested the water" with one of the head ushers and the pastors and was met with a luke warm response. The new congregation is significantly more Conservative leaning than the old one but the subject of firearms does not seem to be greeted enthusiastically when the openings for it have appeared over the past year. I really like the church on many levels and don't want to strain my relationship with it so I'm on a "don't ask, don't tell" approach. I carry all the time and have looked closely to see if I can see any others who do but have not yet identified anyone. Either they are using deep concealment methods or there are not a lot of daily carriers like me. I'm very careful to make sure that I don't print which is much different than when I'm in general public situations where I don't care if I do.

Both times that I've been outed for carrying were in church. In one, my shirt rode up, exposing my gun when I was helping to move something. There was shock and surprise in response. The other was at a funeral where I did not control a hug carefully and the questions started. It is surprising the number of people who believe that church carry is prohibited by law and are surprised (shocked?) to find out that it isn't. It wasn't the time or place to have the discussion in my view but I am forthright when questioned, particularly if they already know that I'm armed.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

No problem your SR Pastor should have informed him long before this event! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

stroo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stroo »

A group of men in my church started a yearly shoot out on one of the members land. We call it the DSO. Now it is attended my men and young men from a number of churches in our denominations.

One of our former pastors had a LTC but didn't carry on the pulpit. However he knew that a number of us did carry in the congregation. He would always try, in private, to guess where I carried, but usually couldn't figure it out.

Our current pastor's wife asked if I carried in church and I told her I always carried. She let out a sigh of relief and thanked me for being there to protect her husband.

I used to pocket carry a lot in church but now I generally carry strong side OWB with my suit coat easily covering so no one really realizes it is there, even when I am leading part of the service.

Like Charles if someone in church asks if I carry, I tell them I always carry which usually leads to a good conversation.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NotRPB »

It was two older deacons, one had taken the class, one was about to and his girlfriend was already carrying to church, that convinced me to finally get my license years ago. Both of those deacons passed away, and our newest deacon who just moved here from Midland, is licensed too

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

stroo wrote:A group of men in my church started a yearly shoot out on one of the members land. We call it the DSO. Now it is attended my men and young men from a number of churches in our denominations.

One of our former pastors had a LTC but didn't carry on the pulpit. However he knew that a number of us did carry in the congregation. He would always try, in private, to guess where I carried, but usually couldn't figure it out.

Our current pastor's wife asked if I carried in church and I told her I always carried. She let out a sigh of relief and thanked me for being there to protect her husband.

I used to pocket carry a lot in church but now I generally carry strong side OWB with my suit coat easily covering so no one really realizes it is there, even when I am leading part of the service.

Like Charles if someone in church asks if I carry, I tell them I always carry which usually leads to a good conversation.
Your denomination is what, pray tell? There may be forum members looking for church groups of like minds where they feel welcome and comfortable?

stroo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stroo »

Presbyterian Church in America. It is a fairly conservative Presbyterian denomination.

Pritchical

Post by Pritchical »

God, this thread is relevant today, isn't it?

I carried into my church yesterday. I usually made a habit of leaving it in the car just because it's not very comfortable to carry - (at least with my IWB holster) for long periods of sitting down. But yesterday, it was haunting to realize I was carrying in my church right about the time the church in south Texas was being assaulted.

I wonder how much would have changed.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Pritchical wrote:God, this thread is relevant today, isn't it?

I carried into my church yesterday. I usually made a habit of leaving it in the car just because it's not very comfortable to carry - (at least with my IWB holster) for long periods of sitting down. But yesterday, it was haunting to realize I was carrying in my church right about the time the church in south Texas was being assaulted.

Pritchical,

Welcome to the forum - I see this is your first post. Remember, carrying isn't meant to be comfortable, just comforting. :cheers2:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

Vol Texan wrote:
Pritchical wrote:God, this thread is relevant today, isn't it?

Pritchical,

Welcome to the forum - I see this is your first post. Remember, carrying isn't meant to be comfortable, just comforting. :cheers2:
I agree 100%

For the benefit of the new guy (Welcome, by the way!!) will add that with a decent, belt, holster and some experimentation with carry position- MANY/most of us have [very] comfortable rigs.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

I use to be.....sporadic in my church carry, and mostly in my purse. Then....we were in Colorado Springs when the New Life Church shooting occurred....the phone calls from family and friends were bad enough, but then I found out that a homeschool family I knew of had lost 2 daughters...We carry every Sunday and will not go to a church we can't carry in.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

SewTexas wrote:I use to be.....sporadic in my church carry, and mostly in my purse. Then....we were in Colorado Springs when the New Life Church shooting occurred....the phone calls from family and friends were bad enough, but then I found out that a homeschool family I knew of had lost 2 daughters...We carry every Sunday and will not go to a church we can't carry in.
:iagree:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

SewTexas wrote:I use to be.....sporadic in my church carry, and mostly in my purse. Then....we were in Colorado Springs when the New Life Church shooting occurred....the phone calls from family and friends were bad enough, but then I found out that a homeschool family I knew of had lost 2 daughters...We carry every Sunday and will not go to a church we can't carry in.
:iagree:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Pritchical

Post by Pritchical »

Thanks for the welcomes, guys. I do have a belt holster. I wear it around my home mainly to break it in. It's tough leather. With winter coming up, I plan to start using it to conceal under a coat. You're right, I shouldn't worry about comfort, but if it is something I can attain, I should try to dress appropriately. :cheers2:

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

My church (PC-USA) is posted with giant 30.06 and 30.07 signs in the atrium. I think that I feel more strongly about that today than yesterday.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Prescient thread is prescient.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”