Ruger LC9S - Beware!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Ruger LC9S - Beware!

Post by Abraham »

After approximately 150 rounds the front sight has drifted rather dramatically out of alignment. I looked on the internet for fixes. I couldn't find any so...I have to send in either the entire pistol to Ruger for them to pay for the shipping. If I choose to go that route, I have to go through a lot of driving rigamarole with bringing the gun/package to FedEx and it has to be a particular Fed-Ex, not just any old one. For their product failure I have to jump through hoops...

Or, I can choose to mail in just the receiver (it has to go Priority Mail in order to have a tracking number) and "I" have to pay the freight. Ruger didn't explain why I have to pay the freight if I ship it this way. Nice...

Along with this, I bought a Ruger mfg. 9 round extended magazine from Midwest and it lasted roughly 150 rounds (yeah, both failures happened at the same time) and when I went to reload it, the spring and follower were completely missing, I looked and looked for them - never to be seen again...so it too has to be sent back to, in this case - Midwest.

My point: Both items were Ruger.

I've bought my last Ruger.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger LC9S - Beware!

Post by Tex1961 »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I to have the Ruger LC9s and have been very please with it. I also have a few others that I have had for going on 30 years without a single failure and thousands of rounds through them. Unfortunately every now and again one comes off the floor defective. That happens when you make sever hundred thousand per year. Hope things get fixed for you.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Abraham wrote:After approximately 150 rounds the front sight has drifted rather dramatically out of alignment. I looked on the internet for fixes. I couldn't find any so...I have to send in either the entire pistol to Ruger for them to pay for the shipping. If I choose to go that route, I have to go through a lot of driving rigamarole with bringing the gun/package to FedEx and it has to be a particular Fed-Ex, not just any old one. For their product failure I have to jump through hoops...

Or, I can choose to mail in just the receiver (it has to go Priority Mail in order to have a tracking number) and "I" have to pay the freight. Ruger didn't explain why I have to pay the freight if I ship it this way. Nice...

Along with this, I bought a Ruger mfg. 9 round extended magazine from Midwest and it lasted roughly 150 rounds (yeah, both failures happened at the same time) and when I went to reload it, the spring and follower were completely missing, I looked and looked for them - never to be seen again...so it too has to be sent back to, in this case - Midwest.

My point: Both items were Ruger.

I've bought my last Ruger.
If you want to go the DIY route, you can remove the front sight and lightly stipple the slide where the slide sits with a fine metal punch. Then reinstall the sight. The stippling creates raised areas that increase the friction between the slide and the sight.

I did this on another pistol on the recommendation of a gunsmith and it worked like a charm.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

You may have gotten an ill fitting sight I wouldn’t write off Ruger. Ruger still makes some of the best firearms out there. They will make it right if given the chance....

spolct
Posts in topic: 2

Post by spolct »

I've had to send a couple of LC9s back, as I recall they sent me a shipping label both times (I could be wrong about this). One of the times it was an extractor issue and I convinced them to let me to send just the slide to them. It wasn't an issue and of course was much easier. I had a replacement fairly quickly. If it's just front sight issue, you might be able to do the same.

spolct

Post by spolct »

Abraham wrote:
Oops! I didn't catch that part the first time around. If you purchased it through a dealer, maybe have them call on your behalf to get shipping paid for?

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thank you everyone for your input!

If only one Ruger item failed, I would chalk it up to 'stuff'... happens.

I forgot to add another failure with the gun. The rear sight. It's supposed to be adjustable. I removed the little allen screw to drift the rear sight (it wouldn't budge) as my shooting was consistently a bit off to the right. No luck. I then put some corrosion x down the screw hole and on each side of the rear sight, waited 2 days for it to take effect. Still no luck, it wouldn't budge. Adjustable huh?

So, that's 3 Ruger failures up to this point.

Quality control is more than questionable. As mentioned earlier, not only did the pistol itself present multiple failures, the after market Ruger mfg. extended magazine failed. That's too many failures for me to find acceptable.

Once I get the slide returned (and fixed properly I hope...) I don't know if I'll continue to experience Ruger failures, with pistol and extended magazine, but once again, I will state: No more Ruger products for me.

Update: Cabelas, where I bought it, is willing to send in the pistol with no charge to me.

Kudos to Cabelas!

Raspberrys to Ruger...

Can you tell my patience towards Ruger and it's product failures is showing?

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Abraham wrote:...As mentioned earlier, not only did the pistol itself present multiple failures, the after market Ruger mfg. extended magazine failed. That's too many failures for me to find acceptable.
<snip>

Raspberrys to Ruger...

Can you tell my patience towards Ruger and it's product failures is showing?
Why are you blaming Ruger for a after-market products problems? Seems unreasonable.

I stopped counting rounds through my LC-9s after I hit 1K. The gun has performed flawlessly for me with no mechanical issues at all. The third-party laser goes through batteries faster than I think it should, but that's not Ruger's fault.

Sorry you got a lemon. It happens, occassionally, on mass produced items. Let Ruger fix it and I bet you'll wind up loving the little thing once it's not giving you concerns.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

n5wd,

You posted: "Why are you blaming Ruger for a after-market products problems? Seems unreasonable."

Read my post a bit more carefully. As I previously posted, the after market magazine is a RUGER OEM product, just like the pistol.

I would think me unreasonable too if the magazine was manufactured by some other manufacturer, like say Promag, but it, the 9 round magazine is also an (OEM) RUGER product and it failed and had to be returned. I'm waiting for the magazine to either be returned fixed or replaced by Midwest. Wonderful! I just love it when magazines lose their spring and follower never to be seen again...

Perhaps, up to this point, Ruger's quality control standards were sound, but now are slipping as I mentioned earlier, 1 thing goes wrong, meh, 'stuff' happens, but 3 things, out of 2 products made by the same manufacturer, that is gun and magazine go sour, I ain't buying their quality control is up to snuff.

Once I get both back, I'll use them and if I experience significant failure of pistol and magazine again, I'll cut them up into itty bitty pieces and throw them away. I'm not going through the aggravation dance of return and return and return...

Oh, btw, Cabelas was willing to return the gun at no charge, (Thanks Cabelas, I truly appreciate your help) but they stated one caveat: That I should not expect a quick fix and return. I should expect the pistol to be returned roughly around Christmas as Ruger is slow to fix and/or replace...so not only is Ruger's quality control in question, their customer service turn around apparently blows too...

Do I harbor a vendetta aimed at Ruger?

No.

I have a spur-less, DAO, Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum revolver (bought about 20 years ago) in stainless that I really admire for it's dependability, rugged good looks and will keep forever. (forever being defined as when I croak, I'll still have it in my possession and my wife will give it to one of my Grand kids or daughter if she doesn't want to keep it for herself...)

After reading glowing reviews of what a great gun the LC9S is, and it's light weight, I thought it a great sub-compact to carry for yard work.

Color me: Disappointed with Ruger.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

You would need to use a sight pusher to drift the rear sight.
TSRA Life Memeber

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Abraham,

First off I don't want this to come across as picking on you, rather just some observations and thoughts, so please take it with a grain of salt.

1) Aftermarket means "not OEM", saying "aftermarket OEM" is kind of like saying "jumbo shrimp". I only point this out to say that it's confusing and I can see why someone who read your posts would be confused, I was as you refer to the mag as aftermarket several times. Having read everything though I get what you're talking about; just a point of clarification and terminology. A question about the mag. You say the spring and follower were no where to be found; did they come out the bottom or how did this happen? I assume you were in the process of using the mag when it happened?

2) Don't be so quick to write off Ruger and they're CS. I'd put about as much weight in what a gun desk monkey at Cabela's said as I would the 17 year old kid that tells me my blinker fluid is low down at the local oil change place. I can attest from personal experience that they are among the top in the industry. I've sent two guns back to them, one for my mistake, the other for a factory recall. In both instances I had them back in barely a week. The gun I sent in for the recall even came back with a brand new mag as their way of apologizing. Realizing that it's tough to mail in a whole gun because of the FedEx/UPS rules, but unfortunately that's out of Ruger's control.

Ruger is by no means top tier in firearms, but they have a solid reputation and stand behind their products. I'm willing to give them my money (occasionally) over higher-end stuff because I know they'll be around and take care of me if I need it. I say all this being a long-time shooter and someone that has been through many, many, many makes and models of firearms. I've sold off most, still have a couple Sigs, HKs, and Rugers.

This all may be for naught as it sounds like you've made your mind up, however if you haven't I'd urge you to reconsider. I realize not everyone has the shooting experience that others have around here (heck I'm probably a newbie compared to many others), but what happened to you will, unfortunately, happen from time to time in any industry. Ruger will make it right now that you've given them the chance.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

dlh

Post by dlh »

I have four Rugers and am very happy with each one---Ruger LCR...Ruger LCP...Ruger Mini14....and Ruger Mini30.

However, the paperwork that came with my newest--the Mini14--left me scratching my head. Ruger said it was not going to give me a warranty on my brand new rifle, express or implied, however they wanted to "make things right with their customers" or similar language in the event there were any problems. I was always under the impression that Ruger gave lifetime warranties---maybe I am mistaken. Would be interesting to know the whole story behind this.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Abraham wrote:n5wd,

You posted: "Why are you blaming Ruger for a after-market products problems? Seems unreasonable."

Read my post a bit more carefully. As I previously posted, the after market magazine is a RUGER OEM product, just like the pistol.

I would think me unreasonable too if the magazine was manufactured by some other manufacturer, like say Promag, but it, the 9 round magazine is also an (OEM) RUGER product and it failed and had to be returned. I'm waiting for the magazine to either be returned fixed or replaced by Midwest. Wonderful! I just love it when magazines lose their spring and follower never to be seen again...
Sorry, but when I hear "aftermarket", I think of a third-party manufacturer - I'm sure you knew what you were saying, but I was apparently wrong in deciphering your message.

Pardonon pri tio!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”