Gun Safe

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

PBratton
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Gun Safe

Post by PBratton »

Rule of thumb in the security industry is if it weighs less than 750 lbs. screw it down to the floor.

I'll generally secure it no matter what it weighs.

Make it hard and discouraging to steal.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

I bought a new Superior Safe last year from Lonestar Gun Safes. The guys deliverying it had the Hilti gun tool and bolted it to the floor when they delivered it. Of course, it isn't moving anywhere.

The nicer safes also have tighter seals or overlapping seal points and it is much more difficult to get a pry bar in the gap. There are a few stores that speciallize in gun safes. I would recommend a visit as you can see a wide range of different price ranges and see what more money will get you. The mark up varies a lot as well so shop around.

You aren't going to get much thicker than 10 or 11 gauge walls and back without getting fairly expensive. I think the sub $1000 safes get a bit thinner than that. The sales brochures will give the thickness info. Most any safe won't stand up to a heavy sledge hammer and/or 6 foot pry bar indefinitely. Even the really expensive ones can be breached assuming the right tools and enough time. Thankfully, most burglars don't carry that stuff or have that much time.

Just my 2 cents.

PBratton
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PBratton »

Any safe or vault can be opened with enough patience and tools.

Way back when I worked with Mosler, we were often called in to open a safe or vault when the time locks stopped or were overwound. The safes we drilled, the bank vaults, we went through the wall, it was easier.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
Rugerboy50
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rugerboy50 »

I've talked with both Fort Knox and Liberty safe reps.

I'm going to go with a Liberty Revolution 24 or Fat Boy jr. depending on the door dimensions of where I want to put it.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

gljjt wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: The new one weighs 850 lbs. it's not going anywhere.
Bolt it down in a corner. A piano dolly and 2 guys can move that safe no problem. I moved mine with the help of my son. A pair of thieves can get it out the door in less than 5 minutes. Assuming it is downstairs.
Two guys with a piano dolly brought it in from the truck. Don't worry, it will be bolted down, as was the old one. Right now, the room is in the middle of being remodeled, so it's in the center of the room with all the other stuff. But I am philosophical about it....850 lbs AND bolted down in the corner, a safe can still be defeated.

Anybody who (assuming I'm not home at the time) is willing to do whatever it would take to break into the house, get past the dog, and get into the safe, and get all that done and be out BEFORE the cops arrive (there is a motion detector for the alarm system in that room, as well as the alarm breakers at the doors and the windows), is going to get the contents of the safe, bolted down or not. Not that I don't care about arming bad guys, but that's what insurance is for. And God help anybody who attempts it while I'm home.........and I'm almost always at home.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TxRVer »

Rugerboy50 wrote:I've talked with both Fort Knox and Liberty safe reps.

I'm going to go with a Liberty Revolution 24 or Fat Boy jr. depending on the door dimensions of where I want to put it.
The Gander Mountain in Mesquite has a flyer listing the FB Jr. for $1199.99. There's a mail in rebate for a free door panel and humidity rod. Maybe a store near you has the same deal.
Charlie

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Think about where you will locate your safe, also. Inside a closet or small utility room, or other somewhat restricted area might make it a little harder for the "bad guy" to maneuver a pry bar. Of course, don't make it too unhandy to get into for yourself!

Assuming a thief would attempt to pry open the side of the door that is away from the hinges, even placing the safe just in a corner of an open room in the right orientation might make it a little harder for a burglar to work a pry bar.

Inside a garage or work shop might not be the best idea. No reason to make it easier for a thief to break into to your safe using your own tools that are thoughtfully located within easy reach!

Just another aspect to consider.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I was looking at Mesa Safes at Home Depot. A little bit more in price but the specs look good. If you need delivery, the free curbside delivery at Home depot could make the price look better.
Charlie

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Rugerboy50 wrote:I'm in the market for a new gun safe.

I'm not looking to break the bank.

Recommendations will be appreciated.

Check Lowes websirte or stores. They have different sizes and fire proof F30 or greater for a ood price.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Gebo's has a sale this week with some fantastic prices on UL listed RSCs. Click on the link and go to the last page of the ad. I just bought the Kodiak K5940 for $700. I couldn't believe all the features it has for that price...swing out rack, attached door pockets, and power cord. They also have the Freedom Security Fatboy 64 made by Liberty for under $1000. Gebo's most southern store is in Whitney so this isn't a good deal for those of you in the south. I don't know how they do it but you can't even beat their regular prices.

http://www.gebos.com/flipbooks/flipbook ... index.html
Charlie

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Rugerboy50 wrote:
I'm not looking to break the bank.
Then y'all not REALLY in the market for a new gun safe.

:lol:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Gun safes are a good idea, but from what class of citizen do they generally keep your goods safe?

Family/friends and the odd service guy with sticky fingers?

No doubt quite determined thieves may take the time, tools and effort to steal your guns by assaulting your safe, but I don't recall the last time I read of such a heist.

Does it happen?

Of course, but from what I can determine it isn't a common occurrence.

Why do I speak of such things?

Because, it seems to me (and yes, I could be off base with my line of thinking) most burglars want in and out quickly, quietly and unobtrusively as possible, not drilling, making enough noise to wake the dead and actually having to 'work' much to get what's yours...

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Abraham wrote:Gun safes are a good idea, but from what class of citizen do they generally keep your goods safe?

Family/friends and the odd service guy with sticky fingers?

No doubt quite determined thieves may take the time, tools and effort to steal your guns by assaulting your safe, but I don't recall the last time I read of such a heist.

Does it happen?

Of course, but from what I can determine it isn't a common occurrence.

Why do I speak of such things?

Because, it seems to me (and yes, I could be off base with my line of thinking) most burglars want in and out quickly, quietly and unobtrusively as possible, not drilling, making enough noise to wake the dead and actually having to 'work' much to get what's yours...
:iagree:
With my demo tools I can get into any gun safe if I want to and I am willing to take the time. I just use a Job Box with two recessed locks that will keep the common burgler out.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

WTR,

Job box like...Jobox or Ironton or...?

If so, what models would you think good for 8/10 rifles and some handguns?

Thanks!

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I bought a 48" model from lowes. I later saw a 60" box I could have ordered from Home Depot..... That one would have been perfect. I did get a 32 or 36 inch one to hold ammo. The small one they carried in the store. I think the H D ones are from Rigid.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”