Honolulu PD begins confiscation of registered guns...

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Honolulu PD begins confiscation of registered guns...

Post by ELB »

...because their owners (who are required by state law to register gun ownership) are also registered has having medical marijuana cards.

Surrender Your Guns, Police Tell Hawaiian Medical Marijuana Patients

ETA: Having followed a couple links from the article, I'm not sure the individual firearm is registered with the state. In addition to completing the Form 4473, gun purchasers must complete a separate State form that is very similar, so it appears the gun owner rather than the firearm is being registered (altho the purchase permit does include whether it is handgun or longarm that is being purchased).
USAF 1982-2005

philip964

Re: Honolulu PD begins confiscation of registered guns...

Post by philip964 »

My memory Hawaii has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. You may be actually able to have a gun after you jump through hoops, but I'm not sure you can ever even look at it outside it's locked box.

My memory out of state LEO's can't bring their guns into the State when they visit, even on business.

Hawaii as an island has a very low gun death rate.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 13

Post by bmwrdr »

Gun or wheed? Nothing wron with a gun-less substance dependent person.
:cheers2:
Last edited by bmwrdr on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

Oh well, we weren't planning on going there anyway.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

philip964 wrote:My memory Hawaii has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. You may be actually able to have a gun after you jump through hoops, but I'm not sure you can ever even look at it outside it's locked box.

My memory out of state LEO's can't bring their guns into the State when they visit, even on business.

I could see and understand that. Low population, borders and cops who actually see people. It would be pretty easy to control the inmates, I mean island!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

It's not that difficult. If you don't want your guns taken away, don't commit what is still a disqualifying federal crime for firearm possession.
philip964 wrote: My memory out of state LEO's can't bring their guns into the State when they visit, even on business.
State law may say that, but it's overridden by LEOSA.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Liberty »

CleverNickname wrote:It's not that difficult. If you don't want your guns taken away, don't commit what is still a disqualifying federal crime for firearm possession.
This is about Medical Marijuana
It could be a difficult choice if you are treating a disease that a marijuana product will alleviate. There are some illnesses that have had dramatic results with cannabis products. These people are required to make a choice of either improving their health and quality of life, or the right to protect themselves. Many cannabis products have no THC and will not get anyone high buying this stuff. Other tough choices could be buying this stuff for or child so that they can live a normal life, or become a felon.

A few years ago it was Luitenant Governor Dan Patrick who promised that as long as he is in power that he will never allow folks to get medical treatment because the cost to society would be that some people might enjoy the herb recreationally.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Liberty wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:It's not that difficult. If you don't want your guns taken away, don't commit what is still a disqualifying federal crime for firearm possession.
This is about Medical Marijuana
It could be a difficult choice if you are treating a disease that a marijuana product will alleviate. There are some illnesses that have had dramatic results with cannabis products. These people are required to make a choice of either improving their health and quality of life, or the right to protect themselves. Many cannabis products have no THC and will not get anyone high buying this stuff. Other tough choices could be buying this stuff for or child so that they can live a normal life, or become a felon.

A few years ago it was Luitenant Governor Dan Patrick who promised that as long as he is in power that he will never allow folks to get medical treatment because the cost to society would be that some people might enjoy the herb recreationally.
Good point, using marijuana for medical treatments is surely a way to use natural resources to fight serious health problems.
The problem is the fact our health care system is and always will be abused left and right, see the problem with the opiates as an example.
Children should not be a part of the equation because they can't buy or posess a firearm anyway.
Fact is that many will become millionaire with the marijuana business and where money can be made we'll see more crimiinals moving into business and make money with the support of the corrupt legal system. Marketing and professional business people will ensure success.
A mpre realistic approach to the health issues would be promoting a healthy diet and adequate physical exercise.
Take my word, a children with a health problem will not recover by taking marijuana or other numbing medication.
Legalization of drugs will not solve the problem at hand, it will shift the cartel controlling it and earning the profit.
Use of drugs leads to abuse of drugs until it becomes normal and that's it.

:tiphat:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

philip964 wrote:My memory Hawaii has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. You may be actually able to have a gun after you jump through hoops, but I'm not sure you can ever even look at it outside it's locked box.

That can't be true. My wife watches Hawaii 5-0 and there's gunfights going on all the time. Seems like everyone has guns there and are using them! :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

bblhd672 wrote:

That can't be true. My wife watches Hawaii 5-0 and there's gunfights going on all the time. Seems like everyone has guns there and are using them! :biggrinjester:
My wife also really likes that show - i find nearly everything absurd. I say that I'm not sure I want to go with all the crime and terrorism depicted. it is real - right?
NRA Life Member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Liberty »

The canaboid treatments I was referring to do not involve THC. There is no high involved. The medications I was referring to were for treating symptoms of certain forms of epilepsy and Parkinsons disease. Because they are derived from certain Cannibus plants they are illegal. There are certain salves and creams that have had had therapeutic benefits.

Even the regular weed, has proven beneficial for PTSD victims. With fewer nasty side effects.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Liberty wrote:The canaboid treatments I was referring to do not involve THC. There is no high involved. The medications I was referring to were for treating symptoms of certain forms of epilepsy and Parkinsons disease. Because they are derived from certain Cannibus plants they are illegal. There are certain salves and creams that have had had therapeutic benefits.

Even the regular weed, has proven beneficial for PTSD victims. With fewer nasty side effects.
That is perfectly fine, using natural resources for treatments of cases you mentioned is a benefit for society.
What I was referring to is the cases where dope heads and drug dealers hang out in or around school yards or other places wher children usually are. There are also some idiots telling children and minors about the positive side of wheed regardless whether they are ill or not. We had already posts on this forum where a lqady was followed by a drug dealer after she dropped her kids at school. In my opinion that sort of criminals which targhet our youth should be hung without a trial.
There is no doubt about the negative sides of dope are by far more useless and dangerous than the benefitial part.
You doubt it, talk to parents dealing with it!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I am not stepping in to the issue of medical/recreational/legal/ illegal marijuana usage. The point that has been overlooked, in my opinion, is that this is just one of many avenues, that can be used by government, to deprive someone of their 2A rights, by instituting a gun registry system. Using this same formula, they could do the same thing to someone who is in arrears in child support, taxes, vehicle registration, or a myriad of other things those in power feel, is justified. Hawaii seems far away, and their politicians, are not our politicians, but, the same type of things are being proposed all over the country. We need to be ever vigilant, and stand up and defy those who think a gun registry, is "common sense" JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

lama

Post by lama »

bmwrdr wrote: A mpre realistic approach to the health issues would be promoting a healthy diet and adequate physical exercise.
Take my word, a children with a health problem will not recover by taking marijuana or other numbing medication.
Tell the parents of an epileptic child that they just need to promote healthy diet and adequate physical exercise.

It sounds like your argument is that legal weed would lead to abuse. While denying that as a significant possibility would be silly, not allowing treatment of some peoples illnesses because others will be irresponsible sounds like a very similar argument that is made for gun control.

"Some will be irresponsible with guns and shoot people so we should make guns illegal so they cannot do so."

I am ambivalent to the idea of legal recreational use so don't really have a dog in this THATfight I guess.

Edited to use the right wording
Last edited by lama on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

lama wrote:
bmwrdr wrote: A mpre realistic approach to the health issues would be promoting a healthy diet and adequate physical exercise.
Tell the parents of an epileptic child that they just need to promote healthy diet and adequate physical exercise.

It sounds like your argument is that legal weed would lead to abuse. While denying that as a significant possibility would be silly, not allowing treatment of some peoples illnesses because others will be irresponsible sounds like a very similar argument that is made for gun control.

"Some will be irresponsible with guns and shoot people so we should make guns illegal so they cannot do so."

I am ambivalent to the idea of legal recreational use so don't really have a dog in this fight I guess.
Medicinal purpose means there is a doctor engaged and not a drug dealer. If I read the news I get the picture and understand that the "Industry" will make it possible to obtain medicinal marijuana and that implies financial gain is expected just like the drug dealers expect maximum profit and they actually get it.
Since human history there were humans with epilepsy and other diseases, marijuana wasn't a solution before it was outlawed and modern medicin can not cure the epilepsy either. I do very well understand the benefits but I will not agree with making marijuana available to anybody just because.
Anybody who doesn't already know can research and find out that the negative impact is by far higher to society then the benefit for an individual will be.
There are even scientific reports about children from parents taking or took drugs showing negative symptoms compared to children from drug free parents. The same applies to alcohol and other substances. There is a reason why people living drug and alcohol free live a healthier life.
Another point is employement, if an employee does not pass a drug test it is a reason for termination and the Government is actually strict about that part.
Would you smoke marijuana or take it in any other form? You can rest assured I wouldn't.
It is the criminals making a buck of the consumers and aaddicted. And it is the weak or helpless person having to put up with it.
:tiphat:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”