Gun Friendly Doctor - What would you do next time?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 5

Gun Friendly Doctor - What would you do next time?

Post by Lynyrd »

I've reached the age where I have to see a dermatologist at least once a year for skin cancers. Too many years working out in the sun.

I had become dissatisfied with my old doc, and decided to go to a new on that a friend had recommended. He works in a fairly large clinic with a bunch of other dermatologists. When I arrived at my appointment, I locked my gun up in the truck but left the holster attached to my belt and my two spare mags were still in the belt pouches on my weak side. As I approached the door, I looked very carefully for signs and I only saw a small gun buster sign to the right of the front door. But, since I had already disarmed I just went in anyway without going back for my gun.

After getting checked in, waiting a bit, and getting called back, the nurse visited with me a while and took down some information. She then told me to remove my shirt and the doctor would be in shortly. So, I took off my shirt and there I sat in just my jeans and boots with two loaded mags and an empty holster out in the open.

The doc came in, examined me, froze off a few lesions on my face, then asked me to stand up so he could look at my back. After he had finished I broached the subject of the gun buster sign on the front door. I said, "Doc, obviously you have seen my empty holster, but your little gun sign has no legal meaning for license holders. Would you care to comment on the subject?"

He talked for a minute or two about how all these shooting incidents that we hear about take place in gun free zones, and how he also had his LTC and would feel much better if everyone that had their license carried all the time. He than said, "But I don't run the place, I just work here." So I asked him for his advice to me as a patient about what I should do with my gun the next time I come to see him. He said, "As far as I'm concerned you can keep your gun on you. There may be some other staff here that would be uncomfortable, and probably some of our patients would't like to see you open carrying a gun. But if you keep it concealed, by all means you can wear it back to the exam room."

After he left, the nurse was recording some more information (she had been in the room the whole time and heard his comments) and she looked at me with a sly smile and asked what kind of gun I carried. We got into a short discussion about different types of pistols, and she ended with, "Don't worry, I won't tell anybody. But I may not be the nurse you see next time."

Given these details, would you carry into that clinic the next time you go? Understand that he is only one doctor of about 10 that work there, and the clinic recently got sold to a large consortium from out of state. Personally, I think I'm going to carry on and walk in with my gun concealed. No one is going to see it but my new doctor who already told me he was okay with that, and a nurse. The nurse could be trouble. And if she raises a stink there may be 30.06/30.07 signs shortly thereafter.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Friendly Doctor - What would you do next time?

Post by GeekwithaGun »

If there was no 30.06/30.07 you would be fine. One of my doctors office is not posted, however i do disarm as they have be step on the scale before going to the exam room. I really don't want to have my weight increase 4-5 pounds or lay the pistol on the table before getting weighed.
NRA Life Member

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

No 30.06/.07 signs and even a verbal endorsement by the doctor - I say go for it. Just my .02
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

GeekwithaGun wrote:If there was no 30.06/30.07 you would be fine. One of my doctors office is not posted, however i do disarm as they have be step on the scale before going to the exam room. I really don't want to have my weight increase 4-5 pounds or lay the pistol on the table before getting weighed.
That makes sense. But at the dermatologist they don't weigh me. Also, I always ask the nurse at my family doctor to remove 7 lbs for my steel toed, steel shank boots, and she does. Just a thought. That office is posted, so I can't carry inside.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I have a good scale at home and I just tell them my weight and walk on past the scale. I pocket carry so no holster etc. to give anything away. I'd probably carry until they post or I'm told not to come back armed.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

Sadly, my family doc retired.

He and I used to talk guns. I would always carry when I went to see him.

With a big grin on his face, one of the first questions he'd ask if I didn't have to strip for an exam, was: I assume you're packing?

He liked guns in general and absolutely loved trap shooting.

I miss him.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I carry my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5inch openly into my doctor's building. I step on the scale wearing my EDC. If my doctor wants to know my real weight, I'll tell him I'm wearing about 11 pounds of clothes and gear.

In this case, I would not change my default behavior.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

oljames3 wrote:I carry my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5inch openly into my doctor's building. I step on the scale wearing my EDC. If my doctor wants to know my real weight, I'll tell him I'm wearing about 11 pounds of clothes and gear.

In this case, I would not change my default behavior.
I wish we had a like button! :thumbs2:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

That sounds a lot like my Doc at U.S. Dermatology Partners of Tyler – Dominion Plaza, yes?

I discretely pass my gun to my much beloved, and CHL licensed, wife when called to the examination room....if they won't allow her to accompany me.

priusron

Post by priusron »

The clinic I go to in Plainview has. 30/07 sign but that is all. Obviously ok to carry concealed.

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Oldgringo wrote:That sounds a lot like my Doc at U.S. Dermatology Partners of Tyler – Dominion Plaza, yes?

I discretely pass my gun to my much beloved, and CHL licensed, wife when called to the examination room....if they won't allow her to accompany me.
You are very perceptive sir.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

You have just described the only situation where I think I would carry a pocket gun. Going to a dermatologist for skin cancer detection is going to result in taking off your shirt and quite likely your pants. I know, I've had one surgically removed from my leg and two frozen from my arms. (Too many years on dive boats, beaches and elsewhere.) There's no way I could hide my 1911 or CZ, so a S&W Model 36/60 might work well in my pocket. Of course, my real gun would go back on when I get in my car. :biggrinjester: I use Kelsey-Seybold Clinic and unfortunately they post both 30.06 & 30.07 signs so my gun stays in the car.

Chas.

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Pocket carry isn't a bad idea Mr. Cotton. But, my doctor told me he didn't have a problem with my gun being seen inside the exam room. And that's the only place it wouldn't be concealed. Of course, there is the chance of a nurse that wouldn't agree.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:You have just described the only situation where I think I would carry a pocket gun. Going to a dermatologist for skin cancer detection is going to result in taking off your shirt and quite likely your pants. I know, I've had one surgically removed from my leg and two frozen from my arms. (Too many years on dive boats, beaches and elsewhere.) There's no way I could hide my 1911 or CZ, so a S&W Model 36/60 might work well in my pocket. Of course, my real gun would go back on when I get in my car. :biggrinjester: I use Kelsey-Seybold Clinic and unfortunately they post both 30.06 & 30.07 signs so my gun stays in the car.

Chas.
:iagree:

My S&W model 360 PD weighs in at a svelte 11 ounces, so likely around a pound counting ammo and a pocket holster. At my weight a pound is a rounding error, so I wouldn't even worry about it impacting the scale. If I was reasonably certain that I would not need to remove my pants, I would strongly consider my ankle holster instead of pocket carry, though.

You could also bring your "laptop" with you. I carry my work laptop home fairly frequently and if I need to see the doc early the next morning, it is coming with me instead of staying in my car. Just take the charger out of your laptop case and you should be able to easily fit a holstered full size gun in there.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

I have to go in every 6 months to get this or that burned off my face/hands/legs as I too was once a fanatic water rat from scuba diving, to clamming, to boating from sail, to power, to kayak, off shore fishing and wade fishing like a maniac and until quite recently always outdoors. Summers now find me in the A.C., I'm not as well acclimated to extremes of heat anymore...

My dermatologist is a cool guy and doesn't have a 30.06 sign posted, but he's always accompanied by a nurse who seeing my Glock 19 may or not freak. So, since I know I'm going to be asked to strip while I'm left alone for a few minutes. I just cover my pistol and spare mag under my clothes and sit there feeling kinda ridiculous with most of my clothes off.

Given, I had a melanoma removed once some 40 years ago, it's worth a little indignity.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”