Just checking... Current renewal process

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 1

Just checking... Current renewal process

Post by newTexan »

Hey just checking my understanding here. I need to renew this year. My understanding is that renewals now are just online. No required class or test. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Flightmare

Re: Just checking... Current renewal process

Post by Flightmare »

That is correct. You may do your renewal online with no class time required.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Steamboat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Steamboat »

It looks like three forms must be completed, LTC-77, LTC-85 and LTC-86.
Forms LTC-85 and LTC-86 must be notarized. I believe these three forms along with payment can be submitted online for renewal.
I'm about to go through the renewal process and this is my understanding. If there is something I'm missing, please advise.
Thanks.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Steamboat wrote:It looks like three forms must be completed, LTC-77, LTC-85 and LTC-86.
Forms LTC-85 and LTC-86 must be notarized. I believe these three forms along with payment can be submitted online for renewal.
I'm about to go through the renewal process and this is my understanding. If there is something I'm missing, please advise.
Thanks.
Both my wife and I did our renewals entirely online. There was no mailing involved at all, no notary public, no special forms. Everything was handled through the DPS website.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

sbrawley wrote:I renew this year as well. How far in advance can we start the renewal process? I thought I seen it on here but can’t remember.
6 months
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Steamboat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Steamboat »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Steamboat wrote:It looks like three forms must be completed, LTC-77, LTC-85 and LTC-86.
Thanks.
Both my wife and I did our renewals entirely online. There was no mailing involved at all, no notary public, no special forms. Everything was handled through the DPS website.
Thank you for this information. I guess I misunderstood the process. I'm now in the process of renewal online.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

There seems to be a mix of information. I renewed this past December and got my LTC in January. The entire process in online. There were NO forms to upload. You can renew as soon as six months before your expiration date. The fees were reduce to $40.

Go to https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/ltc/

One
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

The forms are still available for those folks with no computer, or want to do it the old fashion way by snail mail. If you do it on-line (DPS preferred method) the "affidavits" are done on-line also. Remember, one of the things you are "attesting" to (LTC-86) is that you have read from LTC-16 and understand the current laws.

l
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

GhostTX

Post by GhostTX »

I renewed online this year as well. Checked a couple of times and I didn't require any new documents. The longest part of the wait/updates was at the background check status. I think overall, it took 3 weeks to go online until the new license was at my house.
XD40 Service in Supertuck
"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

patterson

Post by patterson »

I didnt notarize anything and I dont remember 3 forms either and I just renewed back in february or march

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”