Mag Extension Test??

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Mag Extension Test??

Post by cmgee67 »

I picked up a Taran Tactical +2 extension for my Glock 43 it came with their extra power spring so that it should be able to push the last couple of rounds up in the chamber easily. My question is, how many rounds through a mag do you call good to go? In the past I’d usually run about 25 rounds Of fmjs and about another 25 of my carry ammo to make sure that they feed reliably and call it good. Usually in my 50 rounds test I will either run into problems with the mag or not. I try a couple mags fully loaded plus One in the pipe, then I do a really slow mag dump then a quick one and repeat with the hollow points.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mag Extension Test??

Post by carlson1 »

I have the +3 Taran Tactical for my G43. I shot 6 magazines before I decided to carry it. I know of no standard before putting it to use. I have not heard anything bad about Taran Tactical either.

My son is a Detective for an East Texas PD. Two of the Detectives carry the G43 off duty with the +1 and +2 extensions. This is the second time my son has qualified with his. He has had zero problems out of his.

flechero

Post by flechero »

cmgee67 wrote:My question is, how many rounds through a mag do you call good to go?
Do you have a set standard for other mags? If so, I might apply the same... if not, run a few boxes of ammo (carry and practice) to verify function. I run about 100-150 rounds through any mag I'd carry- and no drops onto hard surfaces. When you drop them, use a folded towel or blanket underneath.

With an unknown mag brand I'd be more concerned about longevity and checking the springs in 6-8 months, as long as it functions correctly on the front end.

If it's just the +2 and spring (no new body or follower)- I might not run as many rounds through it, as you would have already proven that mag body & follower in your gun.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Went to the range put around 100 rounds through the gun with the mag fully loaded +1 each time and it worked perfectly. Helps give me a great purchase on the gun and I was able to shoot it more accurately. It just made this already great gun even better. :thewave

dragun

Post by dragun »

I would make sure you put some significant rounds of whatever you use for SD ammo. Range ammo is one thing, you SD ammo is what matters. For what is worth, I’ve put about 1500 rounds of varies range ammo and about 150 rounds of HST 124 & 147g ammo through my 43 with no issues using magguts, TT +1,2 & 3, and Pearce +1.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

dragun wrote:I would make sure you put some significant rounds of whatever you use for SD ammo. Range ammo is one thing, you SD ammo is what matters. For what is worth, I’ve put about 1500 rounds of varies range ammo and about 150 rounds of HST 124 & 147g ammo through my 43 with no issues using magguts, TT +1,2 & 3, and Pearce +1.

All 100 were my SD rounds. This gun has 750 rounds through it. 250 have been my SD rounds. I’m not worried about a thing!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”