Bump stop ban signed today

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

philbo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

Post by philbo »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Is there anything on Trump actually signing a ban? Or is this just an order to develop regulations?
No direct ban at this time, but as "expeditiously as possible, to propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns."

There will be time for due process perhaps, but the intent seems clear to ban bump stocks and similar devices. What they will do with those already on the market is a good question, but I expect that what happened in Massachusetts this month might provide an example of what may unfortunately happen.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ma ... 2682ffa243

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Post by allisji »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
jason812 wrote:I think bump stocks and binary triggers are a waste of ammo but if they are going to become illegal, I might have to buy one. And I was saving my allowance for something else :banghead:

Do I have to cut my belt loops off now?
Apparently stock analysts and big investors don't believe anything will actually come of this since Ruger's stock is down almost 4% today. I can also find entry level AR's for sale at just over $500 on Buds. If there is any truth to the hysteria, it hasn't led to panic buying. Yet.
:iagree: The propaganda mills are hard at work since last Wednesday using the Parkland tragedy to push gun control on every platform possible and it's working. The comments from the White House today I don't think are much different from things we've heard from them in the past except, regarding bump-fire stocks they had directed the BATFE to re-review whether or not they should be regulated. This time it sounds more like they are going to create some "draft" regulations.

Regarding a 21 y/o age limit to purchase semi-auto rifles... I think that the Whitehouse is being bullied into making some concessions, and since there's already a 21 y/o age limit to purchase handguns they seem to think that maybe they can assuage a little bit of the anti-gun outcry while giving up something that's not going to impact a vast majority of gun owners. It certainly would constitute a loss of freedom for a small amount of the population if it actually can pass into law which is not a good thing.

Knowing Trump, I would guess that this is a bargaining chip in order to push congress toward making some progress in getting rid of gun free zones. I could easily see him pushing this message that he is proposing some "common sense" legislation that will improve the background checks system, and help keep guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals, as well as give our schools the ability to defend America's children. Just like he's doing with DACA and immigration policy he could put pressure on the democrats by repeatedly blaming them for opposing legislation that will protect and defend our schoolchildren.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

philbo wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:Is there anything on Trump actually signing a ban? Or is this just an order to develop regulations?
No direct ban at this time, but as "expeditiously as possible, to propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns."

There will be time for due process perhaps, but the intent seems clear to ban bump stocks and similar devices. What they will do with those already on the market is a good question, but I expect that what happened in Massachusetts this month might provide an example of what may unfortunately happen.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ma ... 2682ffa243
Bump stocks do not "turn legal weapons into machineguns." Machine gun is a defined legal term, and a semi-auto rifle with a bump stock does not meet this definition. So unless we change the law to redefine a Machine Gun based on maximum potential rate of fire, or some such, this would not do it. The intent may be to ban bump stocks and similar devices, but even then do you think his intent is to ban devices that are similar in appearance, or similar in function, like neck ties, shoelaces, belt loops, etc.? I'd guess appearance. Just not sure how he plans to go about this.

And I think Massachusetts changed their law, not their interpretation of an existing law like we are seeing here.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Oldgringo »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
roadkill wrote:
{snip}

Looks to be just a continuation from the Vegas shooting and he’s not seeking a specific ruling just to issue a final ruling on the issue
Look again, that memo bears today's date. You also may note the use of the word "immediately'?
The only "immediate" I see is "for immediate release". Is that what you are referring to?
You got me! I was confusing "immediately" with "expeditiously". :oops:

TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TheFriscoKid »

Beiruty wrote:Bump stocks or binary devices does not turn a semi-automatic to a machine gun. As machine gun (fully automatic weapon) one-press on the trigger multiple-bullets fired)
So, If Obama administration said it is legal, nothing changed to make it illegal.

So.... Thanks Obama ???? "rlol"

never thought i'd see this at CHL

TheFriscoKid
Banned

Post by TheFriscoKid »

If they're going to ban them NOW I want one!

But rats.... I've spent $3000 since valentine's day on G&A.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

This will do nothing to stop the problem but they will never learn. I guess it will make them feel better. My guess is that 99% of the population wouldn’t know what they were anyway if it were not for the media hype.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

philip964 wrote:President signed today

And you got nothing for it.

Fox News going all anti gun with the announcement.

Pro gun people did not get in front of it and now loses.
I don't find anything that says a ban was signed today. I guess click bait has hit the forum.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

twomillenium wrote:

I don't find anything that says a ban was signed today. I guess click bait has hit the forum.
I don't like them but I am glad I bought a few, while I could. Oh, darn that boat just sunk that had all my guns and bump stocks in it! :eek6
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Throwing a bone.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

John Galt wrote:Throwing a bone.
You give a dog a bone and it chews on that bone until there is nothing left.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 7

Post by philip964 »

twomillenium wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.co ... -las-vegas

Breaking news at the time hard to find links.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

allisji wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
jason812 wrote:I think bump stocks and binary triggers are a waste of ammo but if they are going to become illegal, I might have to buy one. And I was saving my allowance for something else :banghead:

Do I have to cut my belt loops off now?
Apparently stock analysts and big investors don't believe anything will actually come of this since Ruger's stock is down almost 4% today. I can also find entry level AR's for sale at just over $500 on Buds. If there is any truth to the hysteria, it hasn't led to panic buying. Yet.
:iagree: The propaganda mills are hard at work since last Wednesday using the Parkland tragedy to push gun control on every platform possible and it's working. The comments from the White House today I don't think are much different from things we've heard from them in the past except, regarding bump-fire stocks they had directed the BATFE to re-review whether or not they should be regulated. This time it sounds more like they are going to create some "draft" regulations.

Regarding a 21 y/o age limit to purchase semi-auto rifles... I think that the Whitehouse is being bullied into making some concessions, and since there's already a 21 y/o age limit to purchase handguns they seem to think that maybe they can assuage a little bit of the anti-gun outcry while giving up something that's not going to impact a vast majority of gun owners. It certainly would constitute a loss of freedom for a small amount of the population if it actually can pass into law which is not a good thing.

Knowing Trump, I would guess that this is a bargaining chip in order to push congress toward making some progress in getting rid of gun free zones. I could easily see him pushing this message that he is proposing some "common sense" legislation that will improve the background checks system, and help keep guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals, as well as give our schools the ability to defend America's children. Just like he's doing with DACA and immigration policy he could put pressure on the democrats by repeatedly blaming them for opposing legislation that will protect and defend our schoolchildren.
There's a bill, already passed by the house, sitting at the senate, that does just this. Trump even said he supports the companion bill that originated in the Senate, so lets cut the noise and pass the bill that's already made it through one house and take swift action to fix the problems with NICS and stop more of these from happening.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

philip964 wrote:
twomillenium wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.co ... -las-vegas

Breaking news at the time hard to find links.
Doesn't say anything was signed, yet I bet you can still buy one, if you can find it.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I believe Trump is always several steps ahead of the left, driving them crazy.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”