Should I conceal carry a .22 pistol?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Should I conceal carry a .22 pistol?

Post by allisji »

TheFriscoKid wrote:Get a 5.7. It has the recoil of a .22 and lethality greater than 9mm. It's the best of all worlds. Every round that hits COM will stop the threat.

the recoil of .22LR? Is that true? I've never shot one but watching the videos of them I got the impression that they recoil pretty heavily. I guess it would make sense that a small projectile wouldn't create as much reaction force as a larger one. I guess I've always heard the really loud bang and just assumed that the bite is as bad as the bark.

I guess I also assume that they have a pretty large grip circumference due to the length /size of the cartridge. This could make them non-ideal for some of the folks with shorter than average fingers.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I've got an LCR in .22 Mag that I occasionally carry because of how light it is. It's not my ideal weapon but I don't have a problem carrying it. At the end of the day any gun in the hand beats the gun at home.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

On notification of another member that Academy had Kel-Tec P32 available on line at $240 I bought one as I like mouse guns. Today was my first chance to shoot it. This is a .32ACP 7+1 round totally easy pocket carry, (Desantis Nemesis u7). Easy and accurate one handed shooting with hardly any recoil and pure simplicity using Fiochii 73 gr fmj ammo. This might be the gun for you, more powerful and reliable than a 22LR without the kick of a large caliber. Much gentler than my .380 bodyguard. I would suggest you try one and if you are anywhere near Wichita Falls you are welcome to try mine. PM me if you want to try it.

karder

Post by karder »

I would argue that a .22 you feel confident with is better than another caliber that you don't shoot well.

My wife had zero exposure to firearms when we got married. She learned to shoot but was very recoil sensitive. When she got her CHL she started carrying a Walther TPH .22LR. As she got more comfortable she began to shoot bigger calibers with confidence. She now carries an XDs 9mm and her bedside gun is an HK USP .40. The HK is her favorite, but too big for her daily purse carry.

Start carrying what you're confident with now and get some range time in. You may get more comfortable with larger calibers sooner than you think.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Hoodasnacks

Post by Hoodasnacks »

As the others said, .22LR > 0.

I would also double check the large caliber issue as it could be something else. My wife could not fire my 9mm (saying it jumped everywhere and hurt her hand). She stayed with her .22 for a long time. Finally, I got her to fire my Sig P238. It is a small gun that fit her hand well. She was very accurate and the recoil didn't bother her--she even said it felt like her .22.

When I finally convinced her that it was a "fit" issue in with the larger gun in her hand and not the caliber (the 9mm was a double stack that stretched her hand too far), I got her to shoot my 357mag revolver. She loved it...but would still rather carry the .22 or 380. Good luck!

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

If you carry a .22LR pistol in a holster off the range, you should definitely conceal it. :biggrinjester:
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Do what your comfortable with or can afford, it is better than a pocket of rocks.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”