"KILLING THE ACTIVE SHOOTER"

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 10

"KILLING THE ACTIVE SHOOTER"

Post by Paladin »

"KILLING THE ACTIVE SHOOTER" by Gabe Suarez

This is a short book, but has very blunt facts and advice for stopping an active shooter by an author who has done it for real.

3rd party review
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Re: "KILLING THE ACTIVE SHOOTER"

Post by WTR »

Paladin wrote:"KILLING THE ACTIVE SHOOTER" by Gabe Suarez

This is a short book, but has very blunt facts and advice for stopping an active shooter by an author who has done it for real.

3rd party review
Not someone I trust to follow or take advice from.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

WTR wrote:Not someone I trust to follow or take advice from.
Might be helpful to add some color to that statement.

While I would agree on his advice for pistol choice- but his disdain for the 1911 :shock: doesn't change the lane of action, assuming one has a serviceable weapon and the mindset/skill set to employ it. :fire

So what's your rub? (I'm truly curious because at the surface I was interested in the book based on title and review.)

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

flechero wrote:

While I would agree on his advice for pistol choice- but his disdain for the 1911 :shock: doesn't change the lane of action, assuming one has a serviceable weapon and the mindset/skill set to employ it. :fire

So what's your rub? (I'm truly curious because at the surface I was interested in the book based on title and review.)
I suggest Goggleing him. He was convicted of workers compensation fraud in 2001 I believe. He is his own best supporter. He may have some valid points. However , I don't trust what he says.

flechero

Post by flechero »

WTR wrote:
I suggest Goggleing him. He was convicted of workers compensation fraud in 2001 I believe.
Ahh... I found it. Yep, he was on a workers comp leave from the PD and was doing some firearms training/classes and the paychecks went to his wife. (They plead guilty and payed all the income back.)

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

flechero wrote:
WTR wrote:
I suggest Goggleing him. He was convicted of workers compensation fraud in 2001 I believe.
Ahh... I found it. Yep, he was on a workers comp leave from the PD and was doing some firearms training/classes and the paychecks went to his wife. (They plead guilty and payed all the income back.)
Gabe Suarez has written about this and his side of the story is out there as well. Worth googling 'til you find it. Short version as I remember it: He asked for permission to teach when he was off for a back injury, received it, then was charged with WC fraud. Had a choice of fighting it in court and going bankrupt paying for his lawyer, or pleading down to misdemeanor charges, paying restitution, and being flat broke as well as losing his job as a cop. He went for option 2.

He has many strong supporters and many strong detractors, seemingly based on his business practices. He seems to be very attentive to making sure he gets every $$ he believe is his. His tactical advice seems to be worth considering.
USAF 1982-2005

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Post by allisji »

WTR wrote:
flechero wrote:

I suggest Goggleing him. He was convicted of workers compensation fraud in 2001 I believe. He is his own best supporter. He may have some valid points. However , I don't trust what he says.
a wolf in sheepdog's clothing?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

flechero

Post by flechero »

ELB wrote:
Gabe Suarez has written about this and his side of the story is out there as well. Worth googling 'til you find it. Short version as I remember it: He asked for permission to teach when he was off for a back injury, received it, then was charged with WC fraud. Had a choice of fighting it in court and going bankrupt paying for his lawyer, or pleading down to misdemeanor charges, paying restitution, and being flat broke as well as losing his job as a cop. He went for option 2.

He has many strong supporters and many strong detractors, seemingly based on his business practices. He seems to be very attentive to making sure he gets every $$ he believe is his. His tactical advice seems to be worth considering.
ELB- I did find the "whole story" and saw a similar (short version) commentary that he sought permission before working. I think he "paid his debt" and is forgiven (at least in my mind) which is what I tried to imply with the payback comments. I have no personal experience or opinion with his training/writing but think the book referenced in the OP may be worth a read. Heck, based on the lack of trust for the guy- maybe he has tactics for fighting dirty!! That would be helpful against an active shooter with a rifle.

We all need forgiveness and we all need a Savior. Most of us have done things in our past we could have been prosecuted for if we had only been caught. :oops:

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Personally I don't trust any author/instructor 100% of the time. But I have never faced off against an active shooter like Mr. Suarez has. Suarez won that and other gunfights and wrote the book to share some of his experience. I'd hate to try and re-learn the lessons he's learned through experience.

This is a review of the Suarez Active Shooter Interdiction class. They teach the "rear naked" choke. A choke that was used in 2015 to stop the Paris train active shooter.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

The only reviews I have read about Suarez have been written by Suarez. You need to do some objective research on the man and his classes. Like pointing Airsofts at each other? If we are in such a forgiving mood, lets forgive Bill and Hill. This guy is just as scary.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I've trained with Suarez and found that the criticism of him is generally exaggerated. His methods are many times not mainstream, but I enjoy living in a country with diversity of thought. I don't agree with every opinion, but my mind is open to hearing differing ideas.

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stroo »

What is the issue with Force on Force training whether using Airsofts or simunitions?

While I haven't done it, that seems like a lot more useful training than what I do on a square range shooting paper.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

WTR wrote:The only reviews I have read about Suarez have been written by Suarez. You need to do some objective research on the man and his classes. Like pointing Airsofts at each other? If we are in such a forgiving mood, lets forgive Bill and Hill. This guy is just as scary.
I know people who went to his classes as well, even worked for him as instructors. It's been awhile, but their criticisms were not of his training.

Also, I don't understand, "Like pointing Airsofts at each other?" As long as wearing proper eye and face protection, so what? They make excellent gunfight training tools. Especially getting stung by one (or more!) of those little plastic BBs in training! Let's you know when you made a mistake right away.
USAF 1982-2005

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

To each their own.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

stroo wrote:What is the issue with Force on Force training whether using Airsofts or simunitions?

While I haven't done it, that seems like a lot more useful training than what I do on a square range shooting paper.
Yes! Force-on-Force is much better than square range shooting paper. Paper doesn't shoot back. Force-on-Force is the best training available. Period.

You can learn a lot just by watching Force-on-force training: First Person Defender. The improvement in the participants performance between scenarios is often the difference between living and dying. Most participants in First Person Defender only want to do more Force-on-Force training afterward.

Return to “Books & Videos”