Is LTC considered "Weapons training"

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Is LTC considered "Weapons training"

Post by ghostrider »

BATF's official response stated that it stays because it's a federal rule, and it has to be asked in two parts.
Its govt policy, it doesn't have to make sense :-)

In usual bureaucratic 'sense' the N-400 form allows you to select mulitple races, however the software used by USCIS to process that form does not.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Killadocg23 »

Scott B. wrote:
Killadocg23 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:I'll postulate that it has something to do with ITAR. The weapons technical information, training, etc., are all in there.

As firearms instructors (NRA or our own stuff) we have to be wary of ITAR issues.

Agree, not for LTC as drawn up by the state.
So no, wouldn't be weapons training?

Thanks
No, not weapons training. It's to check a box off in a licensing scheme. We do test if you're proficient in the usage of a firearm, but we're not training how to you use it. Could be a gray area, but RSD's answer should suffice.
Pardon my silly ness but what is RSD?

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

AndyC wrote:
Killadocg23 wrote:It is for Form I485 "Adjustment of status". I am a student here in Texas and me and my fiancee are getting married. One of the questions on the from was "Have you ever received any military,para military or weapons training"? , so I was wondering would having a LTC count as "weapons training". I called USCIS and a lady didnt give me a definitive answer as to if it was. I called DPS CHL center and the gentleman told me that it wouldn't be weapons training. Just was curious as to what you guys thought
I had to answer "Yes" to that question due to my background and it didn't hinder my Green Card approval - but an LTC isn't weapons-training at all, to my mind.
Thanks

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott B. »

Killadocg23 wrote:Pardon my silly ness but what is RSD?
Not a silly question. We tend to use too many acronyms around here. RSD - regulatory services division of DPS. They administer the LTC program.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

and I thought it was super secret instructor code that the rest of us weren't supposed to know. Wasn't that long ago they were refered to as DPS, once us commoners figured that out the Instructors started using that RSD as a code word.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, what new code is next. :biggrinjester:
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Post by allisji »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Killadocg23 wrote:
Abraham wrote:Killadocg23 ,

Do you mind stating the name of or what form asked such a question?

I ask out of simple curiosity.

Thanks!
No problem.

It is for Form I485 "Adjustment of status". I am a student here in Texas and me and my fiancee are getting married. One of the questions on the from was "Have you ever received any military,para military or weapons training"? , so I was wondering would having a LTC count as "weapons training". I called USCIS and a lady didnt give me a definitive answer as to if it was. I called DPS CHL center and the gentleman told me that it wouldn't be weapons training. Just was curious as to what you guys thought.

Thanks
Purely out of curiosity, I googled “Form I485 “Adjustment of status””, and I’m assuming you’re talking about this: https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/adjustment-of-status? Not that it matters I suppose, but why on earth would the gov’t want to know if you’d had any formal weapons training, as part of an immigration process? They strike me as unrelated matters.
They are hoping that potential terrorists will confirm that they had received weapons training from Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. You know... so that they can monitor them after they grant their legal status.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

allisji wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Killadocg23 wrote:
Abraham wrote:Killadocg23 ,

Do you mind stating the name of or what form asked such a question?

I ask out of simple curiosity.

Thanks!
No problem.

It is for Form I485 "Adjustment of status". I am a student here in Texas and me and my fiancee are getting married. One of the questions on the from was "Have you ever received any military,para military or weapons training"? , so I was wondering would having a LTC count as "weapons training". I called USCIS and a lady didnt give me a definitive answer as to if it was. I called DPS CHL center and the gentleman told me that it wouldn't be weapons training. Just was curious as to what you guys thought.

Thanks
Purely out of curiosity, I googled “Form I485 “Adjustment of status””, and I’m assuming you’re talking about this: https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/adjustment-of-status? Not that it matters I suppose, but why on earth would the gov’t want to know if you’d had any formal weapons training, as part of an immigration process? They strike me as unrelated matters.
They are hoping that potential terrorists will confirm that they had received weapons training from Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. You know... so that they can monitor them after they grant their legal status.
It boggles the mind, doesn’t it?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Scott B. wrote:
Killadocg23 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:I'll postulate that it has something to do with ITAR. The weapons technical information, training, etc., are all in there.

As firearms instructors (NRA or our own stuff) we have to be wary of ITAR issues.

Agree, not for LTC as drawn up by the state.
So no, wouldn't be weapons training?

Thanks
No, not weapons training. It's to check a box off in a licensing scheme. We do test if you're proficient in the usage of a firearm, but we're not training how to you use it. Could be a gray area, but RSD's answer should suffice.
Thanks much !

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”