Can it be?: We may lose more gun rights under Trump than Obama?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Can it be?: We may lose more gun rights under Trump than Obama?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

K.Mooneyham wrote:
BBYC wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
BBYC wrote:What are you all worried about? American cops will never enforce unconstitutional gun laws. Right?
They most certainly will if it means they are not going to be able to put food on the table. Most cops don't hold firearms as a right.
It’s OK ..... the GOP will save us.
:smilelol5:
So, tell us what needs to be done to fix the problem. SPECIFIC THINGS, not generalities.
Pass the HPA (or its more libertarian version - can’t remember the name - which relegates suppressors to the category of accessories needing no regulation at all). Pass reciprocity. Restore the 2nd Amendment on COE land. Those three should be relatively easy - not without a lot of journalistic wringing of hands, but relatively easy. Now that the 2nd Amendment has been incorporated under the 14th (McDonald v Chicago), sic the Justice Dept on states that refuse to respect that decision. OR, like the administration is already doing WRT immigration law, withhold various federal funds from states that refuse to respect the incorporation of the 2nd under the 14th.

That’s four concrete things that republicans can do while they hold the presidency and a congressional majority, and they should do it, not giving a hoot in hades what democrats think about it, because democrats set the precedent for that.

Democrats absolutely rammed Obamacare down our throats when they had the chance - without any republican support, and absolutely unconstitutionally. There absolutely IS a precedent - set by democrats - for ramming bills through congress and into law. And yet, republicans can’t or won’t do the same to protect an enumerated right?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:
BBYC wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
BBYC wrote:What are you all worried about? American cops will never enforce unconstitutional gun laws. Right?
They most certainly will if it means they are not going to be able to put food on the table. Most cops don't hold firearms as a right.
So, tell us what needs to be done to fix the problem. SPECIFIC THINGS, not generalities.
Pass the HPA (or its more libertarian version - can’t remember the name - which relegates suppressors to the category of accessories needing no regulation at all). Pass reciprocity. Restore the 2nd Amendment on COE land. Those three should be relatively easy - not without a lot of journalistic wringing of hands, but relatively easy. Now that the 2nd Amendment has been incorporated under the 14th (McDonald v Chicago), sic the Justice Dept on states that refuse to respect that decision. OR, like the administration is already doing WRT immigration law, withhold various federal funds from states that refuse to respect the incorporation of the 2nd under the 14th.

That’s four concrete things that republicans can do while they hold the presidency and a congressional majority, and they should do it, not giving a hoot in hades what democrats think about it, because democrats set the precedent for that.

Democrats absolutely rammed Obamacare down our throats when they had the chance - without any republican support, and absolutely unconstitutionally. There absolutely IS a precedent - set by democrats - for ramming bills through congress and into law. And yet, republicans can’t or won’t do the same to protect an enumerated right?
Post office carry AND allow citizen carry on federal property. No more infringement.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

anygunanywhere wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:
BBYC wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Post office carry AND allow citizen carry on federal property. No more infringement.
Amen.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote: Post office carry AND allow citizen carry on federal property. No more infringement.
Amen.
This is doable with a phone and a pen, as someone once said.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote: Post office carry AND allow citizen carry on federal property. No more infringement.
Amen.
This is doable with a phone and a pen, as someone once said.
While doable with a phone and a pen, it can just as easily be un-done with a different presidential phone and pen. I personally prefer a more permanent solution.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

apostate

Post by apostate »

Flightmare wrote:While doable with a phone and a pen, it can just as easily be un-done with a different presidential phone and pen. I personally prefer a more permanent solution.
As do I, but one does not preclude the other.

Besides, this give him the opportunity to keep a campaign promise, at a time when some Trump supporters perceive his recent bluster as breaking faith with them.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

apostate wrote:
Flightmare wrote:While doable with a phone and a pen, it can just as easily be un-done with a different presidential phone and pen. I personally prefer a more permanent solution.
As do I, but one does not preclude the other.

Besides, this give him the opportunity to keep a campaign promise, at a time when some Trump supporters perceive his recent bluster as breaking faith with them.
I agree with you both
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

KLB

Post by KLB »

I don't pretend to know what Trump has in mind, except he wants to be re-elected. But what he may calculate enhances his odds I do not know. I don't think Trump has many core beliefs, just a desire to win. To make an analogy the Captain Renault in "Casablanca," the political winds that give Trump a opening to political success are blowing in our direction for the moment. Let's hope the moment lasts.

And bear in mind, given the present political divide and with Republicans in control of Congress, gun rights are at greater risk under a Republican president than under a Democratic one. That is because a Republican president may be able to convince a Republican congress to do something that a Democratic president could not.

That doesn't mean I want a Democratic president. It just means life is full of risk, especially when dealing with someone like Trump. Were the congress to shift to Democratic control, a Republican president would be essential.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

KLB wrote:I don't pretend to know what Trump has in mind, except he wants to be re-elected. But what he may calculate enhances his odds I do not know. I don't think Trump has many core beliefs, just a desire to win. To make an analogy the Captain Renault in "Casablanca," the political winds that give Trump a opening to political success are blowing in our direction for the moment. Let's hope the moment lasts.
Some days I'm not sure even Trump knows what he has in mind. :mrgreen:
IF he signs into law more gun control laws, especially the ones being pushed by the Democrats and their Republican allies, maybe he believes that will move more "D" voters to his side than the 2A voters he had in 2016, thus he no longer needs the "deplorables" on his side.

So far, its wait and see if ANY gun control legislation even reaches his desk. It will require Republican lawmakers in both House and Senate to pass stricter gun control laws than currently exists. We should be more concerned what they are going to do.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

BBYC
Posts in topic: 8

Post by BBYC »

Has he kept any of his pro gun campaign promises yet?

We got National Parks during the previous administration. Did I miss anything from Trump on COE land et cetera?
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

rotor

Post by rotor »

BBYC wrote:Has he kept any of his pro gun campaign promises yet?

We got National Parks during the previous administration. Did I miss anything from Trump on COE land et cetera?
Neil McGill Gorsuch

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

rotor wrote:

Neil McGill Gorsuch
I Haven't seen Gorsuch do much for us, but I think Roberts cancels out any good effect that A Gorsuch might do for us.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Liberty wrote:
rotor wrote:

Neil McGill Gorsuch
I Haven't seen Gorsuch do much for us, but I think Roberts cancels out any good effect that Gorsuch might do for us.
:iagree: I took rotor's answer as a "no" too.

rotor

Post by rotor »

BBYC wrote:
Liberty wrote:
rotor wrote:

Neil McGill Gorsuch
I Haven't seen Gorsuch do much for us, but I think Roberts cancels out any good effect that Gorsuch might do for us.
:iagree: I took rotor's answer as a "no" too.
Actually, Gorsuch may be the most important contribution Trump has done for 2A rights. Can you imagine what another liberal judge would have done? We all are waiting for some great measures, reciprocity, hearing protection, gun free zones, etc. In the long run though the supreme court may be the most important thing Trump does. Time will tell.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Maybe but I don't count my chickens before they're hatched.

So far, I see a whole lot of nothing from Trump on gun rights. Some say we shouldn't bash him for his comments on bump stocks until it's more than talk, we certainly shouldn't praise him for pro gun campaign promises until those are more than talk. Right?

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”