Mag swapping

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Mag swapping

Post by MechAg94 »

Paladin wrote: It's a good idea to periodically shoot your carry gun/ammo combo to insure that you #1 get practice with it, and #2 have complete confidence that everything is working properly.
This is my practice. Occasionally, I will try to bring my carry gun to the range without unloading it or anything and just dump the mag. It should work just fine. I have had guns that had issues doing that for one reason or another. It always bugged me so I didn't trust them.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

On keeping your mags loaded, I have heard that said off and on for 20 years. I have never worried about it and I have never had an issue. I am sure it is possible, but unlikely with quality guns and OEM mags.

If you buy cheaper off-brand magazines, no guarantees.

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Grundy1133 »

allisji wrote:Next time you go ask them what ammo you CAN'T use.

I'm sure that they'll let you go through a magazine of Hornady Critical Duty.

Next time check http://www.ammoseek.com or sgammo.com for some well priced jacketed hollow points.
idk... they were very adamant about the brass casing only rule lol. but yea next time im there ill ask what i cant use instead of what im allowed to use.
NRA Member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

Grundy1133 wrote:

Next time check http://www.ammoseek.com or sgammo.com for some well priced jacketed hollow points.
idk... they were very adamant about the brass casing only rule lol. but yea next time im there ill ask what i cant use instead of what im allowed to use.
Ermm... Hornady Critical Duty are brass casings. They do have a nickle coating.They are reloadable, nonmagnetic and won't rust. There is no good reason why a range would limit their use other than ignorance or them forcing the shooter to use the expensive range provided ammo.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Liberty wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:

Ermm... Hornady Critical Duty are brass casings. They do have a nickle coating.They are reloadable, nonmagnetic and won't rust. There is no good reason why a range would limit their use other than ignorance or them forcing the shooter to use the expensive range provided ammo.
see, i thought they were brass but i figured the plating would constitute them as not being brass ill just have to ask them next time im there.
NRA Member

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bbhack »

Stressing steel below it's permanent deformation level is called elastic deformation. If it deforms permanently, it's called plastic deformation. Stressing steel repeatedly in the elastic range causes something called fatigue, where cracks and failure can occur. Fatigue is measured in the millions of cycles.

I'm digging this up from school long ago, but I do not remember steel having a "memory" due to elastic deformation. Some metals under stress will "creep". If you hang a picture with copper wire, it may break years from now, because it creeps. Steel may creep, but at a level that makes it negligible.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

allisji

Post by allisji »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Liberty wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:

see, i thought they were brass but i figured the plating would constitute them as not being brass ill just have to ask them next time im there.
A lot of folks on this site have a habit of emptying a magazine of carry ammo each trip to the range. I like the idea of each time you unchamber a round to set it aside for range use, but I am not disciplined enough in practice to keep track of something like that. Instead I just make sure that every month or so when I go to the range I shoot whatever ammo I had in my magazine first and then proceed with the full metal jacket ammo that I brought for target practice.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

allisji wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Liberty wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:

A lot of folks on this site have a habit of emptying a magazine of carry ammo each trip to the range. I like the idea of each time you unchamber a round to set it aside for range use, but I am not disciplined enough in practice to keep track of something like that. Instead I just make sure that every month or so when I go to the range I shoot whatever ammo I had in my magazine first and then proceed with the full metal jacket ammo that I brought for target practice.
hmm... id end up going thru a LOT of expensive carry ammo if i shot a mag each time i went to the range. my mag has a 15 rd capacity and the ammo i buy is $22 for a box of 20.
NRA Member

allisji

Post by allisji »

Grundy1133 wrote:
allisji wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Liberty wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:

hmm... id end up going thru a LOT of expensive carry ammo if i shot a mag each time i went to the range. my mag has a 15 rd capacity and the ammo i buy is $22 for a box of 20.
Yeah, that's why I started shopping around online for some more affordable jacketed hollow points to use for every day carry. Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers, etc... are usually available in 50 round boxes and at half the price per round than you pay in store for Hornady Critical Defense/Critical Duty ammo.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

SGAmmo.com and Ammunition Depot are good places to go for affordable carry ammo. Both have Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot in 50 round boxes. 50 round boxes in the $20 to $30 per box range. I am not sure if I have seen Hornady in 50 round boxes. I used to see ammo vendors at gun shows with the 50 round boxes, but I don't see that anymore. I think the last round of ammo shortages saw most of those guys disappear.

I don't empty my carry ammo every trip to the range, but every now and then. I just think it is a good practice to get into. After a while, you will have fired quite a few rounds of your carry ammo.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

MechAg94 wrote:SGAmmo.com and Ammunition Depot are good places to go for affordable carry ammo. Both have Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot in 50 round boxes. 50 round boxes in the $20 to $30 per box range. I am not sure if I have seen Hornady in 50 round boxes. I used to see ammo vendors at gun shows with the 50 round boxes, but I don't see that anymore. I think the last round of ammo shortages saw most of those guys disappear.

I don't empty my carry ammo every trip to the range, but every now and then. I just think it is a good practice to get into. After a while, you will have fired quite a few rounds of your carry ammo.
well i've already shot 60 carry rounds thru my gun on my property. i have a hay bale set up with dirt behind it for my backstop but i dont trust it 100% which is why i prefer to go to a range to shoot. i just 4 mags thru to make sure it would cycle fire and eject properly before i decided to carry it. golden sabers and critical dutys are the only carry ammo ive shot thru my gun. everything else has been flat nose at the range. the appeal to the critical duty rounds for me was they have waterproofed primers and crimped casings to keep water out. in texas it gets hot and im a bigger guy and i sweat a lot so to keep my ammo from getting sweaty they sounded like good rounds. and the ballistic tests yielded good results as well. (from a full size. in a sub compact they over penetrate) i might check out gold dots and see how i like them.
NRA Member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

Grundy1133 wrote: well i've already shot 60 carry rounds thru my gun on my property. i have a hay bale set up with dirt behind it for my backstop but i dont trust it 100% which is why i prefer to go to a range to shoot. i just 4 mags thru to make sure it would cycle fire and eject properly before i decided to carry it. golden sabers and critical dutys are the only carry ammo ive shot thru my gun. everything else has been flat nose at the range. the appeal to the critical duty rounds for me was they have waterproofed primers and crimped casings to keep water out. in texas it gets hot and im a bigger guy and i sweat a lot so to keep my ammo from getting sweaty they sounded like good rounds. and the ballistic tests yielded good results as well. (from a full size. in a sub compact they over penetrate) i might check out gold dots and see how i like them.
I think you may be giving too much thought to the ammo getting wet. I would worry more about the gun itself getting wet and corroding.

I was a victim of Hurricane Ike, I received 4 feet of water in my home. I had some full magazines get inundated with nasty salt water. It was about two weeks before I got access to it. I had two Beretta magazines that corroded and pitted beyond repair. I also had 2 15 round Ruger stainless P series magazines. They cleaned up nicely. I cleaned up and shot the 60 rounds of WWB at the range without incident after just cleaning and whiping down each round.

Lesson learned. Mags hate salt water. Stainless steel is good stuff. Water doesn't easily damage ammo as much as one might think.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Liberty wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: well i've already shot 60 carry rounds thru my gun on my property. i have a hay bale set up with dirt behind it for my backstop but i dont trust it 100% which is why i prefer to go to a range to shoot. i just 4 mags thru to make sure it would cycle fire and eject properly before i decided to carry it. golden sabers and critical dutys are the only carry ammo ive shot thru my gun. everything else has been flat nose at the range. the appeal to the critical duty rounds for me was they have waterproofed primers and crimped casings to keep water out. in texas it gets hot and im a bigger guy and i sweat a lot so to keep my ammo from getting sweaty they sounded like good rounds. and the ballistic tests yielded good results as well. (from a full size. in a sub compact they over penetrate) i might check out gold dots and see how i like them.
I think you may be giving too much thought to the ammo getting wet. I would worry more about the gun itself getting wet and corroding.

I was a victim of Hurricane Ike, I received 4 feet of water in my home. I had some full magazines get inundated with nasty salt water. It was about two weeks before I got access to it. I had two Beretta magazines that corroded and pitted beyond repair. I also had 2 15 round Ruger stainless P series magazines. They cleaned up nicely. I cleaned up and shot the 60 rounds of WWB at the range without incident after just cleaning and whiping down each round.

Lesson learned. Mags hate salt water. Stainless steel is good stuff. Water doesn't easily damage ammo as much as one might think.
Ouch.... That sucks. where I live the only thing I have to worry about are tornadoes. I live right smack in the middle of tornado alley. Lucky me!
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”