M&P Shield.40 Performance Center pistol

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SkipB
Posts in topic: 6

M&P Shield.40 Performance Center pistol

Post by SkipB »

I'm having an issue with this pistol. When I go to the range to shoot my first mag shoots fine. 3 to 4 rounds into the second mag it want fire. Fills like it didn't cock. I sent it to S&W and they put a new striker pin in and fired it and it fired fine for them. I went to the range in Frisco today, my first trip sense I got it back from S&W. It did the same thing, 3rd round second mag fired and then no fire. My practice rounds are American Gunner 165grn. Anyone able to help me with any info I would be very grateful. Also it feels like when it falls to fire it didn't cock. Thanks
Skip Bishop

Nuts
Posts in topic: 1

Re: M&P Shield.40 Performance Center pistol

Post by Nuts »

Is
It going into battery all the way?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SkipB wrote:I'm having an issue with this pistol. When I go to the range to shoot my first mag shoots fine. 3 to 4 rounds into the second mag it want fire. Fills like it didn't cock. I sent it to S&W and they put a new striker pin in and fired it and it fired fine for them. I went to the range in Frisco today, my first trip sense I got it back from S&W. It did the same thing, 3rd round second mag fired and then no fire. My practice rounds are American Gunner 165grn. Anyone able to help me with any info I would be very grateful. Also it feels like when it falls to fire it didn't cock. Thanks
What ammo did S&W test fire with? Have you tried other brands / loads?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
SkipB

Post by SkipB »

Annoyed Man, Haven't tried any other ammo. My thought that should be my next step. I sent S&W a message but haven't heard back yet. I like the .40 it is very accurate. We are up in Frisco right now visiting our grandkids. When we get home I'll buy some better ammo and try. I goes back into battery I just think it didn't cock. Never had a problem like this before with any pistol.
Skip Bishop

Topic author
SkipB

Post by SkipB »

OK S&W informed me they use a 180grn bullet. They also said to stay in Sammi speck's. I'll have to check and see what that is.
Skip Bishop

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grundy1133 »

SkipB wrote:OK S&W informed me they use a 180grn bullet. They also said to stay in Sammi speck's. I'll have to check and see what that is.
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and ... /index.cfm
NRA Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Hornady American Gunner .40cal 165gr isn't listed on their website. Is it Hornady Critical Defense 165gr? Or a different brand?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

bblhd672 wrote:Hornady American Gunner .40cal 165gr isn't listed on their website. Is it Hornady Critical Defense 165gr? Or a different brand?
i shoot hornady critical duty from my full size M&P 40 and i havent had any issues. It could be OPs mag too... if S&W used their own mag when testing it that would cause them to not be able to replicate the issue... worth looking into maybe?
NRA Member

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Can you elaborate a little, are you using two different magazines and having trouble with one or are you using one mag, reloading again and then having trouble? Can't tell from your description which scenario it is. If you are using 2 mags and have a problem with 3 or 4th shot on second than it's a mag problem. If you are using one mag and having problems after shooting and reloading that mag than it still could be a mag problem, ammo problem or gun problem. Shields are pretty reliable. What ammo are you using? Ported shields need to stay away from cci blazer and federal (look for the fine print on box) as the plating is very thin. Don't think it would cause your problem but FYI.

Missed the Hornady ammo. Wonder if the bullet shape causing a problem.

Topic author
SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I'm using the to S&W mag's that came with it. It will chamber the round but not cock. I am going to try some better ammo on friday at our range in China Springs. I may not be able to shoot cheap target ammo in it. I'll post how it does Saturday morning. I have some Critical Defense I think in 165grn. I'll try them and if that doesn't work I'll get some 180grn in either Hornady, Federal, or Remington.
Skip Bishop

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

SkipB wrote:I'm using the to S&W mag's that came with it. It will chamber the round but not cock. I am going to try some better ammo on friday at our range in China Springs. I may not be able to shoot cheap target ammo in it. I'll post how it does Saturday morning. I have some Critical Defense I think in 165grn. I'll try them and if that doesn't work I'll get some 180grn in either Hornady, Federal, or Remington.
So does the problem happen with both mags? When you say it will chamber the round but not cock, if you push the slide forward does it then go into battery so that it can fire?

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

SkipB wrote:I'm using the to S&W mag's that came with it. It will chamber the round but not cock. I am going to try some better ammo on friday at our range in China Springs. I may not be able to shoot cheap target ammo in it. I'll post how it does Saturday morning. I have some Critical Defense I think in 165grn. I'll try them and if that doesn't work I'll get some 180grn in either Hornady, Federal, or Remington.
is it the M1 or M2?
NRA Member

Topic author
SkipB

Post by SkipB »

Rotor it goes into battery completely. Grundy it is the original Shield not the new M2.0. I'll do more testing on Friday with it. I'm going to try some better ammo and I'll swap the mag's around and may buy a new mag to try. The pistol is a great shooter when it shoot's and I'm really leaning toward the ammo but I won't exclude the mag. I'll update Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. I've picked up some good info to work with from here. I knew I would. I appreciate it all.
Skip Bishop

Topic author
SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I just got around to going out to the range to shoot this pistol. I knew it had to be either the ammo or the magazine. The practice ammo was American Gunner 165grn. I loaded 4 magazines with Hornady Cridital Defense 165grn. The pistol shot flawlessly. Never missed a lick and it is a tact drive but then I knew that already. So it was the ammo after all. I read some where on here that S&W M&P's from the Performance Center were a little pick on target ammo. I may step it up to a 180grn but I'll have to think about that. I still prefer the Shiel9 for my daily carry. At my age and with some difficulty with my hands I shoot one handed so the 9 is easier to control. I want to thank everyone that replied with their idea of what I needed to look for. I ask for help so I really do appreciate the input.
Skip Bishop

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”