"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 26

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by Grundy1133 »

Grundy1133 wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:Class Completed: 2/24/18
Application Started and Submitted: 2/24/18
Fingerprints Completed: 2/28/18
Fingerprints Received by State: 3/2
Background Check Approved: 3/7/18
- Currently Pending Print -

Hopefully plastic in hand later this week!

Time to full approval (but not printed) after everything was submitted, 7 days... Not bad. :)

Class Completed: 2/24/18
Fingerprints Received by State: 3/2
Switched to Card Mailed: 3/13/18

Hopefully plastic in hand tomorrow!
2/24 class
2/27 fingerprints
2/28 BG check pending
3/12 BG check green/print pending

looks like you're ahead of me lol
3/14 print pending STILL.... how longs it take to print? lol
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

PriestTheRunner wrote:
(Keep in mind the ATF approvals or California's may-issue policies, Texas' 60-day requirement is downright generous).
thats why im glad I was texas born and texas bred. :txflag:
also I've read people saying that their application status never changed from "Print pending" and one day they just received their license in the mail. So I feel as tho the application status page on their site isn't 100% accurate. Either way it shouldn't be too long now (hopefully)
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

2/24 class
2/27 fingerprints
2/28 BG check pending
3/12 BG check green/print pending
3/15 Mailed
:cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2:
NRA Member

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 12

Post by PriestTheRunner »

PriestTheRunner wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:...
Class Completed: 2/24/18
Fingerprints Received by State: 3/2/18
Switched to Card Mailed: 3/13/18
Plastic in Hand: 3/15/18

3 Business days, 7 Full days from all items received to pass BG Check
5 Business days, 7 Full days from bg check ok'd to plastic in hand.

From reading this thread, probably one of the faster turns from the office. Just documenting so future newbs know what to expect as a general best-case-scenario.

:cheers2:

:txflag:

PriestTheRunner

Grundy1133 wrote:...
Congrats! :txflag:

thinkmac
Posts in topic: 7

Post by thinkmac »

PriestTheRunner wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: 3/14 print pending STILL.... how longs it take to print? lol
They probably also only print in batches. During work hours. On work days...

If you combine the variations it could look like this:

Background check (easy): 2 days to 6 days depending on the investigator and county that the LTC potential holder resides in.
Background check (hard): 5 days to 45 days if there are multiple locations, jobs etc- or if any one county has less-than-gun-friendly reporting guidelines in house (IE- who cares about that BG check, its for a ltc, we'll get to it when we aren't busy).

So thats a +/-2 days variation in the best case scenario.

Then Batch printing... Didn't print on Friday at 5:00?... Oh well. Mondays right around the corner.

Additional +/-3 days variation.

Then batch mailing. Assuming they ALL go out only once a week, thats up to 6 days variation.

Additional +/-6 days variation.

So just based on the process with a EASY background check, you are looking at an additional 11 days variation without anything really being 'abnormal'. Throw in a county that is slow or a difficult BG check, now it can be 10 - 45 days of variation. With enough people getting LTCs (and impatiently waiting for it), there are bound to be some extremes. Sucks if you are one, but keep in mind it could be much worse...

(Keep in mind the ATF approvals or California's shitty may-issue policies, Texas' 60-day requirement is downright generous).
Do we have a list of hard counties? LOL Harris County is a big county, but is Harris County one of those hard counties?

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

PriestTheRunner wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:...
Congrats! :txflag:
Thanks! Hoping it's in the mail tomorrow or saturday. If it's not then I imagine monday for sure. :woohoo
Last edited by Grundy1133 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Member

PriestTheRunner

thinkmac wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: ...
Do we have a list of hard counties? LOL Harris County is a big county, but is Harris County one of those hard counties?
I doubt it.

We would need a survey with enough data to analyze whose took the longest, and only viewing those individuals which counties in their living and working history overlap. A ton of people move quite a bit, any level of convictions, even in the past, could potentially skew this data, and you would need enough respondents to regularly isolate the 'problem' counties.

Someone within DPS who handles the BG Checks could probably do it off the back of their hand, as they see enough data on a regular basis to 'know'... But it would be basically impossible for us.

The main thing is that the DPS cannot take more than 60 days. Doing so regularly would lead to complaints to representatives and investigation. I would consider the 60-day rule a gift (if you are not of the constitutional carry bloodline) and move on.
Last edited by PriestTheRunner on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

PriestTheRunner wrote:
thinkmac wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: ...
I doubt it.

We would need a survey with enough data to analyze whose took the longest, and only viewing those individuals which counties in their living and working history overlap. A ton of people move quite a bit, any level of convictions, even in the past, could potentially skew this data, and you would need enough respondents to regularly isolate the 'problem' counties.

Someone within DPS who handles the BG Checks could probably do it off the back of their hand, as they see enough data on a regular basis to 'know'... But it would be basically impossible for us.

The main thing is that the DPS cannot take more than 90 days. Doing so regularly would lead to complaints to representatives and investigation. I would consider the 90-day rule a gift (if you are not of the constitutional carry bloodline) and move on.
i thought it was 60 days..? :confused5
NRA Member

PriestTheRunner

Grundy1133 wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:...
i thought it was 60 days..? :confused5
Whoops! You're right, its 60 days. I'll edit my post.

Txmomof4
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Txmomof4 »

I called. They said that it should be here by now and that it hasn't been returned so they don't know what happened

fwant
Posts in topic: 7

Post by fwant »

I called in yesterday. All my paperwork has been done and submitted since 2/11/2018 according to them. Then the person on tghe phone told me it could take 90 to 180 days????????? I was what the heck?? This is effen ridiculous. :mad5 :banghead:

PriestTheRunner

fwant wrote:I called in yesterday. All my paperwork has been done and submitted since 2/11/2018 according to them. Then the person on tghe phone told me it could take 90 to 180 days????????? I was what the heck?? This is effen ridiculous. :mad5 :banghead:
If you were switched to all green over 2 or 3 weeks ago, you need to call DPS. It is very possible that it was delivered to the wrong address or something. Person on the phone was wrong, Texas has 60 days by law. Considering you posted about being 'all green' about a month ago, I would say it was a mailing thing.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

PriestTheRunner wrote:
fwant wrote:I called in yesterday. All my paperwork has been done and submitted since 2/11/2018 according to them. Then the person on tghe phone told me it could take 90 to 180 days????????? I was what the heck?? This is effen ridiculous. :mad5 :banghead:
If you were switched to all green over 2 or 3 weeks ago, you need to call DPS. It is very possible that it was delivered to the wrong address or something. Person on the phone was wrong, Texas has 60 days by law. Considering you posted about being 'all green' about a month ago, I would say it was a mailing thing.
agreed it might have got lost in the mail. good ol USPS... :roll:
NRA Member

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 4

Post by twomillenium »

Grundy1133 wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:
agreed it might have got lost in the mail. good ol USPS... :roll:
Lost in the mail????? It was only 2 1/2 weeks ago that you did your fingerprints. The only thing that is lost is your patience, chill, they even ask that you wait 5 weeks before you call and ask where. BTW, if they notify you that they need something else, you have 90 days to respond if they do not hear from you within 90days, your file is closed. The application process has to start from the beginning, including a new payment for the new file.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”