Throwing rocks is more effective than just crawling under desks and waiting

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Throwing rocks is more effective than just crawling under desks and waiting

Post by Excaliber »

johncanfield wrote:Okay, multilayer defense, I get that but rocks as the last layer? How do you distribute a pail of rocks in a crisis? I appreciate their thinking outside of the box but they need a better last layer.
Actually it's easy.

Secure and barricade the door with chairs, desks, etc. to make fast, direct entry more difficult and to force an intruder to struggle through the barriers in a small area.

Distribute the rocks and place throwers in positions at multiple angles to the door. Elapsed time: about 1 minute.

Chances of disabling the shooter: very good, although there may well be a few good guys shot. That beats everyone shot. Sometimes that's as good as it gets.

This is obviously not going to work when the first shot is fired in your room, but it's not a bad plan when the shooter has started elsewhere and may attempt to enter your room.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Excaliber wrote:
johncanfield wrote:Okay, multilayer defense, I get that but rocks as the last layer? How do you distribute a pail of rocks in a crisis? I appreciate their thinking outside of the box but they need a better last layer.
Actually it's easy.

Secure and barricade the door with chairs, desks, etc. to make fast, direct entry more difficult and to force an intruder to struggle through the barriers in a small area.

Distribute the rocks and place throwers in positions at multiple angles to the door. Elapsed time: about 1 minute.

Chances of disabling the shooter: very good, although there may well be a few good guys shot. That beats everyone shot. Sometimes that's as good as it gets.

This is obviously not going to work when the first shot is fired in your room, but it's not a bad plan when the shooter has started elsewhere and may attempt to enter your room and the alternatives are doing nothing or going hand to hand.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Excaliber wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
Actually it's easy.

This is obviously not going to work when the first shot is fired in your room, but it's not a bad plan when the shooter has started elsewhere and may attempt to enter your room and the alternatives are doing nothing or going hand to hand.

Some prefer soup cans as the projectiles because of the damage the sharp lips can do.

Standard hardball baseballs work too.
Excaliber

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Somehow a trained teacher with a gun makes more sense. One shot could save the whole class room from a bad guy with a gun. :fire

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Take Down Sicko wrote:Somehow a trained teacher with a gun makes more sense. One shot could save the whole class room from a bad guy with a gun. :fire
The thing is, if it is allowed not every teacher will be willing or able to arm themselves. Rocks in a class room could could be an alternative for a pacififist suddenly converted into a defensive warrior and could be a defense even for the students.

Arming the staff is a good idea, potentially mitigating an armed attack, but as was mentioned earlier security needs to be a multi-layered approach.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

As I saw on another forum, we have new and more advanced rock throwers these days. They use lead since it is more dense and they use a combustible material in such a way as the rock throws itself. All one as to do is aim the device. I think allowing teachers to carry these advanced rock throwers would be an improvement on the bucket of rocks idea (or in addition to).

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Venus Pax »

I am in my 16th year in the classroom. When I taught junior high, I used to tell my students that, if we every had a shooter enter the classroom, that they had my full blessing to pick up desks, chairs, the projector or ANYTHING and throw it at the person.

I really wish school marshalls were on every campus; unfortunately, we cannot even get these horrible people in the legislature to pay for pencils. Rocks are better than nothing at all, I suppose.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HXRJC25/re ... eee4ad06be

My apologies for reviving an old thread, but this just seemed to fit. You don't suppose the school is buying their stones from these guys on amazon, do you?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”