.45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Post by oljames3 »

I don't carry my 155mm. It carries me AND provides ballistic cover. :biggrinjester:

O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

JRG
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JRG »

I carry both. 9mm and .45acp Shields and 9mm and .45acp XD Mod 2 subcompacts.

I kinda like both rounds.

Joe

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

ml1209 wrote:I like the fact that it is lower pressure than 9mm, and also moves slower. With a hollow point, it should not be as likely to overpenetrate in dense urban areas. Don't get me wrong, I like the 9mm a lot, and is my choice for carry. But home defense goes to .45ACP.
.45 acp? Well at least you got the "45" part right. I carry 45-70 pistol! You say but it's only a single shot? It doesnt matter i just have to line up right and i can take out 4 or 5! Besides when i light one of these things off everyone just scatters! :lol::
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

What, no love for the Arsenal Firearms AF-2011?

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

flechero
Posts in topic: 12

I also prefer .45acp

Post by flechero »

While I prefer .45acp in my own guns, I carry both 45/9 depending on what I'm doing or the level of concealment I need.

I do particularly love the argument that 9mm has undergone these technological advancements that make it more adequate... but apparently no other caliber has benefited from the same modern projectile technology. :lol:

Carry what you shoot best and keep it on you! :fire

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 7

Post by MechAg94 »

Pawpaw wrote:What, no love for the Arsenal Firearms AF-2011?
If I had the spare change, I would get one.

I got a Coonan 1911 instead.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Our 1911 is a very favorite gun to shoot, love .45 caliber however my EDC is a Sig P239 in .357 Sig. Lots of energy.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Steel guns in .45 are my sweet spot. I don't really have an issue concealing larger guns, and I shoot 1911's really well. However, my next gun is going to be a polymer 9mm. I do feel like the .45 has a bit more energy transferred to the target (takedown/knockdown power if you will). Ymmv.

74novaman

Re: I also prefer .45acp

Post by 74novaman »

flechero wrote: I do particularly love the argument that 9mm has undergone these technological advancements that make it more adequate... but apparently no other caliber has benefited from the same modern projectile technology. :lol:
That's a bit of a misrepresentation.

The argument isn't that only 9mm has improved with technology, but that given the advances in hollow point design, you're now seeing similar results from modern 9mm defensive ammo that you're seeing from modern .45 ammo in testing, whereas before that wasn't always the case.

So if both rounds are preforming similarly, it makes less sense to choose the one with higher recoil, lower capacity, and higher cost over something that has similar performance that you can carry more of and shoot more accurately/quicker in the same size gun.

But TAM had it really right: in the end a rifle>all handgun calibers, and we only carry pistols because they're easier to drag around all day.
TANSTAAFL

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Well,

I carry a custom Para in 10mm. What is not to like about 16 rounds of hot 10mm in a 1911 platform?

flechero
Posts in topic: 12

Post by flechero »

74novaman wrote:
flechero wrote: I do particularly love the argument that 9mm has undergone these technological advancements that make it more adequate... but apparently no other caliber has benefited from the same modern projectile technology. :lol:

The argument isn't that only 9mm has improved with technology, but that given the advances in hollow point design, you're now seeing similar results from modern 9mm defensive ammo that you're seeing from modern .45 ammo in testing, whereas before that wasn't always the case.

So if both rounds are preforming similarly, it makes less sense to choose the one with higher recoil, lower capacity, and higher cost over something that has similar performance that you can carry more of and shoot more accurately/quicker in the same size gun.

But TAM had it really right: in the end a rifle>all handgun calibers, and we only carry pistols because they're easier to drag around all day.
You're no fun!

I know that all calibers benefit from the latest technology and design... but I only ever hear people talk about it in 9mm which is why it makes me chuckle :lol: I shoot my .45 better than any of my 9's, so while a 9mm may be a better choice for many (and I do believe it is) it's not universal.

I don't feel under gunned with 15 rounds of 45 acp. :fire I often feel under gunned with 15 rounds of 9mm... but I carry the 9mm when I need to be more discreet. Not scientific but I have learned to trust my gut. I just can't get there in the 9mm is as good as 45acp debate, in my own head... maybe a great 9 JHP vs 45 fmj- but not apples to apples.
:tiphat:

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

74novaman wrote:

I think it has been posted here before, but there were statistical studies of calibers used in actual shootings. I believe the findings were there was no statistical difference in performance of anything 9mm and up. Of course, a lot of details don't show up in statistics, but I would say that means shoot the gun you are comfortable with, practice with it, and hit your target if you have to use it.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I think it has been posted here before, but there were statistical studies of calibers used in actual shootings. I believe the findings were there was no statistical difference in performance of anything 9mm and up. Of course, a lot of details don't show up in statistics, but I would say that means shoot the gun you are comfortable with, practice with it, and hit your target if you have to use it.
:iagree:
Shoot a round that meets the FBI protocols, from a reliable manufacturer, that you can shoot well ... and have fun doing it!
:thewave
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oljames3 wrote:I don't carry my 155mm. It carries me AND provides ballistic cover. :biggrinjester:

Cover? Yes. Concealment? Not so much. "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

That is the difference in bullet diameter between a 9mm and a .45.

According to some "experts" who seem to think that everybody is still carrying ball ammo in their handguns, less than a tenth of an inch in bullet diameter is the difference between an all powerful death ray and a shoot to wound pop gun.

Whatever.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”