Employers that allow their employees to carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 11

Employers that allow their employees to carry

Post by Grundy1133 »

Anyone know if any employers (other than gun shops/ranges) allow their employees to conceal carry? I started thinking about it since im currently unemployed and looking for a job and I don't think I've ever seen anything about carrying mentioned in an employee handbook in any of the jobs ive worked in the past. If it's ever been in there I must have overlooked it (or not actually read it all the way thru haha). I imagine a lot of small businesses would allow their employees to carry vs big corporations who are scared of lawsuits and what not... Just kinda pondering if anyone has had any experience working for a company that allowed their employees to carry.
NRA Member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Employers that allow their employees to carry

Post by Liberty »

I worked for a pretty gun friendly place. It is a small business with about 25 employees. When I got my CHL I told my boss about it and that I planned on carrying. He just asked that it be kept concealed.

I was a big advocate of the concealed carry program so most people were aware I was probably packing. As time went by 4 or 5 others including my boss goth their CHL/LTC.

Issues:

Part of my job was supporting oil and chemical plants around the country. Often without notice. My cars and even my person would often undergo a search. I will not drive overnight while unarmed.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

I'm old and cranky with a bad attitude. My take is that unless the employer officially gives notice either during the hiring interview or employee handbook/materials provided when hired that carrying is prohibited it is perfectly allowable to carry concealed at work. Nobody is going to know anyway since it's concealed. YMMV.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Unfortunately, my company relocated to DFW from SOCAL and assumed much of the Kalifornia style anti-gun culture. I recall talking to a senior HR lady who commented that for the first time in her career she had to create policy for concealed handgun licenses. Which was basically that you can't have a gun in a company building.

I often use my truck to go-to customer sites and always have something in the truck. When I go in as a company rep, I don't carry. Also when attending company functions I don't carry as I feel their intent would be not to have anyone do so. We have a number of folks who enjoy shooting and one of our favorite activities when we've got out of towners in is to go to the range and introduce them to shooting or to take them back out (at their request) so I'm thinking that longer term we may be able to loosen things up. Also, the Kalifornia crowd is thinning out over time, as many have gone back, not liking DFW.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I own an A/C and Heating company and I allow concealed carry. I have it in my employee handbook but also have 30.07 specific wording in there as well. I am quite certain that I have liberal customers that would go elsewhere if a tech arrived while OCing. In today’s world and competition as heavy as it is, I cannot afford to lose customers because of their opposition of the 2A. Therefore any of my employees that are legal to carry concealed may do so where legal.
In fact, once they are employed for 30 days, if they want to obtain their LTC, I will pay for the class.
Granted this has caused a few minor inconveniences such as when we have a job or service call at the NASJRB in Ft. Worth, they (and me) have to swing by the office to drop weapons off in their locker. Been a few times someone gets almost there and remembers and has to come all the way back to drop it off
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I had an employer who not only allowed CC, he encouraged it.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

LDB415 wrote:I'm old and cranky with a bad attitude. My take is that unless the employer officially gives notice either during the hiring interview or employee handbook/materials provided when hired that carrying is prohibited it is perfectly allowable to carry concealed at work. Nobody is going to know anyway since it's concealed. YMMV.
:iagree:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

rmr24

Post by rmr24 »

TxDOT allows CC.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

LDB415 wrote:I'm old and cranky with a bad attitude. My take is that unless the employer officially gives notice either during the hiring interview or employee handbook/materials provided when hired that carrying is prohibited it is perfectly allowable to carry concealed at work. Nobody is going to know anyway since it's concealed. YMMV.
When I ran my own tiny company (11 on staff, as I recall), I never thought to mention guns. Or set limits oxygen consumption while on the job. It just never occurred to me.

Now, my son and I run a small operation. Hmmm... I guess I could tell him his Glock isn't welcome. Oh, wait, not a problem. He's a good lad, he carries a 1911. Silly me.
:biggrinjester:

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

My employer does not specify. We have discussed carrying in the past and she asked if I would tell her if I was carrying, I answered with an emphatic NO.
She then said that if any one was carrying in the store she preferred it to be me!
We often have open carriers in the store and she never even notices them. There was a time that she wanted to post 3006 and 3007 signs but I managed to dissuade her from it.
N5PNZ

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

rmr24 wrote:TxDOT allows CC.
Texas agencies cannot prohibit carrying unless there are special circumstances. Before my wife retired from the Teacher Retirement System, I carried openly whenever I visited her there.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

My employer has posted in the employee handbook (which we are required to sign a document that we have read and agree to) that firearms are not only prohibited in the buildings, but parking lots as well. The language is not 30.06 or 30.07 compliant, so I am not concerned about violation of tresspass, but they could terminate me if I was caught bringing it into the building. Since we are not one of the defined industries excluded from the parking lot law, state law trumps company policy. Part of me almost WANTS them to try to challenge me on that, but I tend to be a "don't make waves" sort of personality. Our company HQ is outside of the state, which is why I suppose they are not familiar with the Texas specific laws regarding parking lots and compliant signage. Many of the people in the local office are LTCs.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

If they don't provide 30.06 compliant notice, and they're not a location prohibited by TPC 46 or Federal law, then their employees are legally allowed to carry.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

bigtek wrote:If they don't provide 30.06 compliant notice, and they're not a location prohibited by TPC 46 or Federal law, then their employees are legally allowed to carry.
Not if they have provided 30.06 notice in the employee manual or have given verbal notice.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Keith B wrote:
bigtek wrote:If they don't provide 30.06 compliant notice, and they're not a location prohibited by TPC 46 or Federal law, then their employees are legally allowed to carry.
Not if they have provided 30.06 notice in the employee manual or have given verbal notice.
:confused5
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Strike a match and see who's missin'

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”