.45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 4

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Post by Grundy1133 »

1911 Raptor wrote:For arguments sake let’s say a magazine ban passed limiting pistol rounds to 10. Would 10 round capacity change anyone’s preferred caliber?
I'd still carry my 15 Rd mags... :leaving
NRA Member

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 7

Post by MechAg94 »

1911 Raptor wrote:For arguments sake let’s say a magazine ban passed limiting pistol rounds to 10. Would 10 round capacity change anyone’s preferred caliber?
It would change things. If you could only carry 10 round mags with your carry gun, you might be more likely to carry a larger caliber or a smaller gun. Part of the reason I carry 9mm is that I have the ability to carry more ammo in the gun and in the spare magazine(s). I would predict more new carry guns with 10 round max capacity that would either be smaller or use 45 acp instead of 9mm.

You may not change your carry gun if you are used to it.

And I certainly hope nothing like that ever happens in Texas.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SQLGeek »

I think about every single bromide and phrase used in the last 15 years of the internet forum discussions has been used in this thread.

Oh wait, don't forget: "A .380 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your safe."

Any others? Going once....going twice... :lol:
Psalm 91:2

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

SQLGeek wrote:I think about every single bromide and phrase used in the last 15 years of the internet forum discussions has been used in this thread.

Oh wait, don't forget: "A .380 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your safe."

Any others? Going once....going twice... :lol:
That's because, like every other internet forum, we are in a giant echo chamber of catch phrases and expert opinion, not based on actual experience, but usually based on the poster's reading of numerous other posts on internet foums.Perhaps being able to use popular catch phrases and render expert opinion makes the poster a legend in their own mind :biggrinjester:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one.

More fodder for the caliber wars. Hope you find it of interest.

www.getzone.com/know-the-facts-the-best ... O2G9HT59KK
What is the best handgun caliber? This video from Rational Preps uses the data from Greg Ellifritz’s 10-year stopping power study of real-world gun fights to shed the light of actual data on several common beliefs about handgun calibers including: 22 rifles are the best bug out guns, 45s have the best stopping power, 380s are too small to be effective, 410 guns are gimmicks, and more.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

7 pages and the 45 ACP crowd hasn't seen the err of their ways yet??? Geez.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Scott in Houston wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:29 pm 7 pages and the 45 ACP crowd hasn't seen the err of their ways yet??? Geez.
Was in Atwoods farm and ranch store this past weekend when my wife said she wanted to look at one last item before we left. Following her to the firearms section I watched her paw thru several purses with the Browning logo on them before showing me one that she declared was finally a smart move by them as to pocket size for handguns. She waxed on about how nice they were but she just couldn't decide whether the tan or black purse would be better to carry her baby in.

Having been married for nearly 45 years I quickly came to the the conclusion that I had better say something at this point or my life at home might possibly be affected. Liking all of my meals to be properly seasoned and prepared I stepped up to the plate. Sweetheart, if you can't decide which purse you like get them both and I will pay for one of them. Having averted potential disaster I was quite pleased with myself.

Oh, I forgot to mention something about her baby. Yep, it is a Kimber 1911 3" bbl in .45 ACP.

flechero
Posts in topic: 12

Post by flechero »

Scott in Houston wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:29 pm 7 pages and the 45 ACP crowd hasn't seen the err of their ways yet??? Geez.
Not really... we just say carry the biggest caliber you shoot well. If that's a .380 great, 9mm great, if it's a .45 great. The err in this thread seems to be that the 9mm crowd is unsatisfied with the "to each his own" mentality and wants the rest of the world's endorsement on their decision. Sound familiar?? :lol:

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

flechero wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am Not really... we just say carry the biggest caliber you shoot well. If that's a .380 great, 9mm great, if it's a .45 great. The err in this thread seems to be that the 9mm crowd is unsatisfied with the "to each his own" mentality and wants the rest of the world's endorsement on their decision. Sound familiar?? :lol:
Not I.
I understand the need for validation, but I prefer to get validation from facts and experience rather than opinion. I haver found BMW touring motorcycles to be be best for me. My 22 year old son rides a Kawasaki Ninja. My wife carries an 8+1 Walther concealed and I carry a 17+1 M&P openly (both 9mm). Y'all carry what and how you want to and I'll do the same. I'm only responsible for "me and mine."

Still, the "caliber war" is fun to watch. :biggrinjester:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

flechero
Posts in topic: 12

Post by flechero »

oljames3 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:10 am Y'all carry what and how you want to and I'll do the same. I'm only responsible for "me and mine."

Still, the "caliber war" is fun to watch. :biggrinjester:
Big +1 on all 3 of those statements!

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I carry anything from a LCP 380 to 9mm in different sizes to a full size M&P or 1911 in 45 ACP depending on the situation. I will say that I prefer a full size 45 ACP. I have no personal experience in this but have talked with several big city SWAT team members that have had to shoot more than a few people in the line of duty. They all say the same thing, the bad guys just seem to go down faster when hit with a 45. I tend to listen to those with real world experience.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Sidro wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:50 am
Was in Atwoods farm and ranch store this past weekend when my wife said she wanted to look at one last item before we left. Following her to the firearms section I watched her paw thru several purses with the Browning logo on them before showing me one that she declared was finally a smart move by them as to pocket size for handguns. She waxed on about how nice they were but she just couldn't decide whether the tan or black purse would be better to carry her baby in.

Having been married for nearly 45 years I quickly came to the the conclusion that I had better say something at this point or my life at home might possibly be affected. Liking all of my meals to be properly seasoned and prepared I stepped up to the plate. Sweetheart, if you can't decide which purse you like get them both and I will pay for one of them. Having averted potential disaster I was quite pleased with myself.

Oh, I forgot to mention something about her baby. Yep, it is a Kimber 1911 3" bbl in .45 ACP.
When my wife wants 2 of anything I am the one paying for both. What's this she pays for one routine?

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

She knew that was the only way to get them both. If I had to buy both she knew I would be subject to purchasing a new gun since I bought her purses. Win/win for her and unkown to her I am still going to buy another gun.

Allons

Post by Allons »

45 is usually what I carry on a daily basis. I have found that I shoot the 45's better then I do the 9mm's that I have. So I started carrying them more than the 9's. Those are the only two handgun calibers that I have. Looking to get a 10mm though.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

philip964

Post by philip964 »

The Thousand Oaks mass shooter use a .45 and the press has reported that there were few wounded because of that ammunition selection.

I suspect that they have found a new target after the ban on assault weapons.

The press and the left may have settled this argument for us.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”