Would you buy this 1911?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Would you buy this 1911?

Post by LDB415 »

Do they have a range so you can test it? If everything works fine I'd be tempted to offer $700 OTD.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

E10

Post by E10 »

What? Is there really a 1911 in there amongst all that junk? You could probably strip off all that stuff and sell it and get yourself an almost free 1911 in the end.

And if you need all that help to hit something you shouldn’t be shootin’.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Abraham wrote:You could give me one.

I'd never buy one.

1911's - the gun equivalent of bi-planes in the jet age..
107yr history as a proven combat handgun, a handgun by which all others are measured and found wanting! :patriot:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

I would consider it.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

...and sailing ships were found reliable until steamships and later internal combustion power came along.

I love antique guns as much as the next man, but 1911's reliable?....puh-leeeze!

Buy one and you'll learn lots about gunsmithing...1911's.

You'll have to if you want yer ole boom booms to keep shooting...now and again...

However, they do make great paper weights.

Plus, your language will change. Instead of saying something like back in nineteen forty-two, it'll come out back in nineteen AND forty-two...by jiminey. Now pass that corncob and Prince Albert in a can. Strike up a match and stay awhile.

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

Abraham wrote:I love antique guns as much as the next man, but 1911's reliable?....puh-leeeze!

Buy one and you'll learn lots about gunsmithing...1911's.

You'll have to if you want yer ole boom booms to keep shooting...now and again...
You are entertaining, Abraham! But still, I weep for you! :lol:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

No.

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ml1209 »

The 1911 is a great pistol - accurate and with the right mags, reliable. Love the .45 ACP, love the slim grips, also.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"and with the right mags, reliable"

Uh-huh, mags fault, uh-huh...

okey-dokey!

jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jb2012 »

To me it's intellectually dishonest to lump all 1911's together when speaking on reliability. Often if not every time a 1911 is compared to another gun, it is compared to a gun manufactured by a single company with its own tolerances and quality control. All 1911's are not created equal, where for the most part all glocks are created equal. The difference between a nighthawk or an ed brown and a Philipino made 1911 are night and day. I think a much better comparison is a specific maker's 1911 vs (insert inferior sidearm)

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

jb2012 wrote:To me it's intellectually dishonest to lump all 1911's together when speaking on reliability. Often if not every time a 1911 is compared to another gun, it is compared to a gun manufactured by a single company with its own tolerances and quality control. All 1911's are not created equal, where for the most part all glocks are created equal. The difference between a nighthawk or an ed brown and a Philipino made 1911 are night and day. I think a much better comparison is a specific maker's 1911 vs (insert inferior sidearm)
I agree with this. It's like saying all ammo of a caliber is the same regardless of the manufacturer and we all know thats not the case.
NRA Member

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

Abraham wrote:"and with the right mags, reliable"

Uh-huh, mags fault, uh-huh...

okey-dokey!
I only have a few 1911's at present (from 3 different makers) but all my stock mags and aftermarket mags work perfect... with each of the guns! I do stay with factory or quality (Wilson or McCormick) aftermarket mags. In the quote you referenced he said the right mags... keep in mind there are a BUNCH makers of 1911 mags worldwide... there are some crap chinese knock offs that you see at gunshows that are junk. Since this is one of the few guns around with no patents left, any idiot with a metal shop can bend up a mag for it.

I doubt your pistol of choice will be around in 100+ yrs but if it is, please beware of cheap aftermarket mags! :lol:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Do any of you have a sense of humor when it comes to antique firearms?

1911's aren't all that serious an issue.

Laugh a little, life's too short to get all worked up over a bit of razzing.

How often are other gun models made sport of...?

Many, especially Glock.

But, let's face it, unless the 1911 is of super duper high quality they fail a lot, in fact it's one of the most commonly unreliable pistols on the market, unless of course you want to spend thousands to find one that's generally reliable.

Dieheads, I love ya, but ya gotta realize when truth strikes, truth wins out every time.

Generally speaking, your average 1911 has to be so tweaked to be even faintly reliable you may as well just buy one that cost thousands to begin with cuz if you buy a standard off the shelf model, it'll fail and fail and fail....

rotor

Post by rotor »

My only experience with 1911 is my Ruger SR1911 full size. It has never failed and none of my Glocks have ever failed. My 1911 has the best trigger. The only bad thing about a 1911 is limited capacity. Personally, I love almost every gun I own. I own almost every brand. Even like my Taurus.
The only failures I have ever had with a firearm was in Ruger SR762 .308 and I returned it to Ruger on their tab and they fixed it.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Abraham: Dissing 1911's??

Have you no respect for your elders?? :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”