ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 3

ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

Post by Grundy1133 »

Which would be best as range ammo? I imagine it wouldn't really matter. I know HP that isn't used for self defense is typically used for hunting and I've read that a lot of people like to use flat point as hunting ammo or range ammo. ball ammo is typically used as range ammo, but if the hollow points or flat points are more versatile would it be worth using those at the range or just buy whatever you want? Probably a pointless topic, but I was just wondering what other people prefer to use at the range and why. (I also know people like shooting the ammo they carry at the range which is fine but carry ammo is too expensive for me to do that. I could easily blast thru $1000 of my carry ammo in a matter of hours)
NRA Member

Allons
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ball vs flat vs hollow point for range ammo?

Post by Allons »

The only reason I would use hollow point on the range would be to test a new carry gun, or if I was using some kind of target to see how well a bullet penetrated an object. Other than that I would use ball ammo. You can save the extra money for new gun purchases or upgrading existing ones. As for flat never used so dont know. Just my .02 cents
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

flechero

Post by flechero »

IIRC, you shoot a .40, right? Flat points are a very common profile in .40 so you may find those instead of traditional ball ammo at the lowest price. The profile matters little for range work. Although a lot of competitors use JHP's (not the SD kind) as they are thought to be the most accurate. (like Zero, Montana Gold, etc.)

There are 2 schools of thought on range ammo:

1. Shop for and shoot the cheapest ammo available to save money.
2. Try several cheap options and use the one that has the same or closest point of impact as your carry ammo and then buy it in bulk when needed... maybe a few dollars more per case but more helpful for life's other needs.

I like option 2 best. (and when I reload, I tweak my loads to achieve that same result)
:fire

circumspice_tuebor

Post by circumspice_tuebor »

I like flat nose projectiles for the range and competition use: they produce well-defined holes. Round nose projectiles tend to tear the paper.

Finding FP ammo is not an issue for me since I reload.
Micah 6:8

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

9 and 45 stick with RN (plated or FMJ) for 40s, it is Flat Point BUllets
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Freedom Munitions has some really good quality and very well priced plated RN and plated HP for target/practice.
I use the reman ( remanufactured ) and never had any issues.
Shipping is usually very reasonable and sometimes free depending on the size of the order.
That is what I use for all of my pistol action matches.

SGAmmo is also a good source.
I very rarely buy ammo in a store, just order online and it shows up.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I'm down to about 400 rds and was gonna buy more so I was wondering what everyone's preference was. sounds like it doesn't really matter unless you're competition shooting or as mentioned, testing a new target.
I guess I'll just grab whatever's cheapest.
flowrie wrote:Freedom Munitions has some really good quality and very well priced plated RN and plated HP for target/practice.

Shipping is usually very reasonable and sometimes free depending on the size of the order.

I used freedommunitions when i bought 1k rounds a few months ago. I've never bought remanufactured rds. Do you know of anyone who HAS had issues with their remanufactured rds? I may buy some remanufactured and some new just to kind of test them and see if i have any duds from the remanufactured ones
NRA Member

G40yes

Post by G40yes »

I use freedom munitions (new) 9mm FMJ (ball) for practice and like it for that. I once tried their reman to save a couple bucks, and had multiple failure-to-eject including one stovepipe, all from a single box of 50 rounds. I brought the unused boxes back and was given new 9mm in exchange. The employee said their 9mm was usually good, but they often had complaints on 223/556 ammo, BOTH new and reman. I have had great luck with several thousand rounds of New 9mm without any more FTE issues.
.. tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

strogg

Post by strogg »

I can't say I've had experience with Freedom Munition loaded ammunition myself, but their bullets are made by X-treme bullets. I use those for my 10mm and .45 loads. They are pretty darn accurate and make very consistent groups. Also, when spot checking the weights, each one weighs exactly 180.0 grains and 230.0 grains on the scale. The low tolerances on the bullet weight is bonkers. The only other bullets I load that can get that kind of consistency are SMKs. The plating is also top notch on those things. And because they are plated (no exposed lead in the back of the bullet), they don't run as dirty. That means more rounds between full cleanings.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Grundy1133 wrote:I'm down to about 400 rds and was gonna buy more so I was wondering what everyone's preference was. sounds like it doesn't really matter unless you're competition shooting or as mentioned, testing a new target.
I guess I'll just grab whatever's cheapest.
flowrie wrote:Freedom Munitions has some really good quality and very well priced plated RN and plated HP for target/practice.

I used freedommunitions when i bought 1k rounds a few months ago. I've never bought remanufactured rds. Do you know of anyone who HAS had issues with their remanufactured rds? I may buy some remanufactured and some new just to kind of test them and see if i have any duds from the remanufactured ones
I can’t speak to their remanufactured handgun ammo, although I’ve bought a couple thousand rounds of 9mm ball from them before. But I have bulk purchased remanufactured 168 grain BTHP match in .308 from them before, and it shot quite accurately in my FN SCAR 17S - putting 10 rounds into 3/4” at 100 yards. Not too shabby for a milspec battle rifle. That model of rifle has a well earned reputation for accuracy, but a great rifle won’t shoot bad ammunition any better than a bad rifle will; and the Freedom Munitions remanufactured match ammo was certainly up to the task. It has shot well in my Gunsite Scout too.

My guess is that their remanufactured handgun ammo would be equally well made.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

For general-purpose range shooting in .45 ACP, I like semi-wadcutters, especially the H&G 68. Those feed well through my Colt, and they make nice, big, easy to see holes in the paper. If you're keeping score, they leave little doubt about which ring they cut - or didn't.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

G40yes wrote:I use freedom munitions (new) 9mm FMJ (ball) for practice and like it for that. I once tried their reman to save a couple bucks, and had multiple failure-to-eject including one stovepipe, all from a single box of 50 rounds. I brought the unused boxes back and was given new 9mm in exchange. The employee said their 9mm was usually good, but they often had complaints on 223/556 ammo, BOTH new and reman. I have had great luck with several thousand rounds of New 9mm without any more FTE issues.
Interestingly, I was out shooting the Xtreme rds from freedom munitions yesterday (new rds) and I went thru 2 mags and in the middle of the 3rd mag i got a "click". so I waited 30 seconds... racked the slide and examined the rd. it had a tiny dent int he primer. so i reloaded it and that time it fired... examined the casing and there was a much larger dent in the primer this time (like a normal spent primer) So I'm wondering if that was the ammo or if my striker could possibly be going bad... I've only had maybe 1k-2k rds thru the gun so i wouldnt think the striker would be damaged or anything and i rarely ever dry fire (even tho i know its safe to do so now a days) i've been shooting differnt brands and havent had any more mis fires. ive tried winchester, xtreme, PMC, federal, remington, hornady.... haven't had any more misfires so im chalking it up to maybe a faulty primer.
NRA Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

My G19 eats up Speer Lawman 147 grain for range practise. They are flat nosed.

My Ruger lC9S hates them. Loves 115 Gr round nose.

Or, come to think of it, Federal 147 grain, HST, HP' feed fine through it, but just ordinary flat nose 147 gr. nope...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”