Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings

Post by PUCKER »

Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings - not just for your own safety but for that of others!

I noticed a car that didn’t quite belong in our office parking lot tonight when I left a little after 7. Maybe it’s the IT guy for the lawyer that’s a tenant? Hmmmm...OK, well let’s get out of here, it’s been a long day and I need some drive time...as I pulled out I noticed there was someone in the vehicle, head down...maybe texting. Drove a block away and decided to circle back...head still down...looks like he’s slumped over...I’ll circle back again...same thing. Pulled into the parking lot to check it out. Walked up to passenger side door, car is running, driver is slumped over and sweating profusely...knock on the window (door locked) and the guy s l o w l y looks partially at me and I motion for him to roll down the window...he slumps back over, still breathing. Not good, he needs medical help. I call 911 and they roll PD and FD. They arrive very quickly and get the doors open without breaking them. Turns out the guy is diabetic and he had very low blood sugar (36) and was not going to get better on his own. GV FD got him treated and he immediately perked up. He drove away 30 minutes later. He thanked us all. Moral of the story - watch out for your fellow man. Ignoring someone could mean very bad things. A HUGE shout out to Grapevine PD and FD for their excellent work!!!!

Steve W
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings

Post by Steve W »

:thumbs2:

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Good job Pucker!!
TSRA Life Memeber

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Very, very, very nice Pucker.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Allons

Post by Allons »

Excellent!
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Many others would have simply gotten into their cars and driven off. Congratulations for your efforts to get involved. Grapevine emergency services can be very efficient and effective - if they know where to apply their skills.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 2

Post by imkopaka »

I've been that low before. It can be terrifying. On behalf of that guy - thank you!
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Outstanding work by all involved!
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Wow, good for you! Might have heard about him on the news, otherwise!

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Glad you paid attention, I’ve seen a coworker go into diabetic shock. On a related topic, I leave for work real early (between 0300&0330). Surprisingly there is still a good amount of other drivers out at that time. As I left my neighborhood and hit the stoplight at FM528 I noticed a driver that was driving a little weird. I pulled out behind them and sure enough they were all over the road, from shoulder to center turn lane and going real fast to real slow. I called 911 to report them and within a minute we were at the stoplight at 528 and Sunset in friendswood. The light there was red so the car stopped and when the light turned green they never moved. I pulled over to keep an eye on them while the Police headed our way. I kept thinking they could have a medical issue and was tempted to walk up but knew it would be best to not do that and wait for the police. Friendswood normally has good response although it took 7 minutes for them to get there. Not long unless you’re on the phone needing them.
As it turns out the female driver passed out at the wheel and didn’t wake up until the officers approached her. The crime blotter described her as being drunk and this was her second offense. She could have easily killed someone as inebriated as she was and I’m glad I ran up behind her before she hurt someone. We all need to be alert and involved in our communities and what’s going on around us.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Great job Pucker!!
It's folks like you that remind us all that there are indeed caring and compassionate folks out there. SA,when practiced religiously, does give you that sixth sense, when you see something that is a little " hinky"
Like you said, it could have been an IT guy meeting a client late, or a nefarious type waiting on an ex-girlfriend, or even someone casing the business to see when it is vacant. Glad everything turned out well, which would not have happened, if your "spidey sense" hadn't kicked in.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Happy to hear the PD and FD accessed the situation properly. Similar situation happened to a friend. The El Paso PD treated him like a drunk, dragged him out of his truck, threw him on the ground and cuffed him. An ambulance was finally called and the EMTs treated his condition properly.

ELB

Post by ELB »

That's a save! Good job.
USAF 1982-2005

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

PUCKER wrote:Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings - not just for your own safety but for that of others!

I noticed a car that didn’t quite belong in our office parking lot tonight when I left a little after 7. Maybe it’s the IT guy for the lawyer that’s a tenant? Hmmmm...OK, well let’s get out of here, it’s been a long day and I need some drive time...as I pulled out I noticed there was someone in the vehicle, head down...maybe texting. Drove a block away and decided to circle back...head still down...looks like he’s slumped over...I’ll circle back again...same thing. Pulled into the parking lot to check it out. Walked up to passenger side door, car is running, driver is slumped over and sweating profusely...knock on the window (door locked) and the guy s l o w l y looks partially at me and I motion for him to roll down the window...he slumps back over, still breathing. Not good, he needs medical help. I call 911 and they roll PD and FD. They arrive very quickly and get the doors open without breaking them. Turns out the guy is diabetic and he had very low blood sugar (36) and was not going to get better on his own. GV FD got him treated and he immediately perked up. He drove away 30 minutes later. He thanked us all. Moral of the story - watch out for your fellow man. Ignoring someone could mean very bad things. A HUGE shout out to Grapevine PD and FD for their excellent work!!!!
Good job Pucker. :txflag:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

PUCKER wrote:Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings - not just for your own safety but for that of others!

WOW~~~
you saved that guy's life!!! what a story! way to listen to the voice
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Off-Topic”