The "Riot Mentality" of School Shootings

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

The "Riot Mentality" of School Shootings

Post by troglodyte »

I recently came across this article and it made a lot of sense. In a nutshell, school shooters seem to be following the rioter mentality. The first degree is the guy that is just waiting for an excuse to throw a rock through a window. Second degree does it because the first guy did and then all the way up to the person that wouldn't think of ever stealing something is grabbing things out of the window in the frenzy. Columbine laid out a pretty clear script and it seems many of the subsequent shooters have followed it to some degree. With each new shooter the next level is emboldened.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/w ... planation/
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The "Riot Mentality" of School Shootings

Post by Beiruty »

troglodyte wrote:I recently came across this article and it made a lot of sense. In a nutshell, school shooters seem to be following the rioter mentality. The first degree is the guy that is just waiting for an excuse to throw a rock through a window. Second degree does it because the first guy did and then all the way up to the person that wouldn't think of ever stealing something is grabbing things out of the window in the frenzy. Columbine laid out a pretty clear script and it seems many of the subsequent shooters have followed it to some degree. With each new shooter the next level is emboldened.

Can you tell me who was executed for a mass shooting?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

Beiruty wrote:
troglodyte wrote:I recently came across this article and it made a lot of sense. In a nutshell, school shooters seem to be following the rioter mentality. The first degree is the guy that is just waiting for an excuse to throw a rock through a window. Second degree does it because the first guy did and then all the way up to the person that wouldn't think of ever stealing something is grabbing things out of the window in the frenzy. Columbine laid out a pretty clear script and it seems many of the subsequent shooters have followed it to some degree. With each new shooter the next level is emboldened.

Too bad SCOTUS says you can't execute 17 year olds. Santa Fe HS shooter is a poster boy for the death penalty.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

jason812

Post by jason812 »

ScottDLS wrote:
Too bad SCOTUS says you can't execute 17 year olds. Santa Fe HS shooter is a poster boy for the death penalty.
Seeing how the death penalty is not an option, I think his time served ought to be used testing experimental drugs. Maybe something good could come out of his waste of oxygen.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Beiruty wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't follow the question.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Allons
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Allons »

ScottDLS wrote:
Beiruty wrote:

:iagree:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

y'all realize this guy could, and apparently probably will, get out before he's 60....? Paxton isn't happy and is trying to work out something, but didn't sound hopeful yesterday.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

jason812 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Seeing how the death penalty is not an option, I think his time served ought to be used testing experimental drugs. Maybe something good could come out of his waste of oxygen.

Sounds like MKUltra to me.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WTR »

jason812 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Put a bullet in the back of his head..... Fine with me. I'm not stooping to the level of Nazi Germany and experimenting on anyone.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

WTR wrote:
jason812 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Put a bullet in the back of his head..... Fine with me. I'm not stooping to the level of Nazi Germany and experimenting on anyone.
I would be fine with turning his lights out as painful as possible but that's not an option.

I can see your point in that once you start experimenting on people, even though it might be for good, where is the line between doing good and being sadistic? Especially if you have to purposefully infect the subject with a disease. But we are talking about a mass murderer not someone just picked up on the street for being Jewish. That being said, can you trust the government to keep that in check? Probably not. Just better to spend $0.50 on a bullet.

I think the article has some validity. I also think public hangings should be brought back to the courthouse square and happen shortly after sentencing. 3 hots and a cot plus free education is not much of a deterrent.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

WTR wrote:
jason812 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

Hell, Japan's unit 731 makes what's the Nazis did look like child's play.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Beiruty wrote:

Can you tell me who was executed for a mass shooting?[/quote]

The pair of murderers in the story In Cold Blood shot four people, for which they were hung. But that was in , like, 1959.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

cdwieg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cdwieg »

I have not stayed current on all of the news coming from the Santa Fe shooting. However, I did read an article (linked below) where the father was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal. He (the father) indicated his kid was a "good boy" but he had been bullied and "mistreated at the school". From the article, "Antonios Pagourtzis wouldn’t comment in his interview with the Journal on how his son acquired the weapons."

This is on the parents as much as it is on the kid. Lock up the guns and ammo and the percentages and probability of the shooting goes way down. You want to tighten the gun laws... put it on the parents to be responsible enough to lock up the guns if they have anyone in their house - minor or otherwise.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/father-of- ... 1526920563

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Cruel and unusual punishment satisfies a list for vengeance that ultimately harms those who inflict it as much as those who suffer it. A man who sets out for revenge should dig two graves, et c.

That motivation isn't needed to justify the death penalty. Some people have no hope of rehabilitation. Many who deserved to die in prison have mended their ways and done good for others from behind bars, murderers among them. This kid didn't steal a car. He didn't sell crack. He didn't shoot someone who had moved in on his turf. Those are crimes, but crimes whose motivation stems from desires that all if us have but suppress or channel. This kid murdered friends and strangers in cold blood. There is no path to rehabilitation for that. He and those like him must be humanely but irrevocably removed from human society.

Allons

Post by Allons »

cdwieg wrote:I have not stayed current on all of the news coming from the Santa Fe shooting. However, I did read an article (linked below) where the father was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal. He (the father) indicated his kid was a "good boy" but he had been bullied and "mistreated at the school". From the article, "Antonios Pagourtzis wouldn’t comment in his interview with the Journal on how his son acquired the weapons."

This is on the parents as much as it is on the kid. Lock up the guns and ammo and the percentages and probability of the shooting goes way down. You want to tighten the gun laws... put it on the parents to be responsible enough to lock up the guns if they have anyone in their house - minor or otherwise.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/father-of- ... 1526920563

:iagree: If these weapons were locked up and secured this could have been prevented.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Return to “The Crime Blotter”