Priorities for 2019 legislative session

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Priorities for 2019 legislative session

Post by Mel »

"I hate to sidetrack the post. Has anyone ever seen a clause in a business policy that required 30.06/07 posting?"

I've heard of situations where it is the claim, but to the best of my knowledge it's never been verified.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 4

Post by J.R.@A&M »

rotor wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:02 pm
J.R.@A&M wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:40 pm
rotor wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:33 pm
J.R.@A&M wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:55 pm
PriestTheRunner wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:24 am
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 am 1. Remove all off-limits areas for LTCs;
2. Exempt volunteer security personnel protecting schools and students from the Texas Private Security Act.
Fantastic ideas / options:
5. Ban the increase of insurance premiums due to the allowing or not-allowing of LTC's on the premises. Having 30.06 or 30.07 up (or not) should have no affect on premiums. Legislate that insurance may not require 30.06 or 30.07 postage.
While I appreciate the spirit of this idea, I as philosophically opposed to legislating and regulating private insurance firms in this way.
Is this an opposition to all business regulation or just insurance companies? We have a Texas Department of Insurance for a very good reason, without it there would be a lot more insurance fraud. Insurance companies that take your money and not pay off when a claim is made. The insurance industry does need regulation and I have no problem with regulating them about LTC issues and keeping them from penalizing a business that does not post 30.06/07. I just have never actually seen a policy that requires a business to post although many business people "claim" their insurance policy requires it. See PriestThe Runner comments.

incidentally, I just received $200 owed my business which closed 4 years ago and the insurance payment was in the state unclaimed money fund. The insurance company took so long to pay it that they couldn't find my address. Timely payment would have been nice. Also, have you noticed the commercials from Newday (I believe their name), pushing loans and mortgage to military and vets. Not valid in Texas in the fine print? Why is that? 100% financing? Without some tough insurance laws I believe the "industry" would be taking advantage of the public. I personally deal with the best, USAA.
I like the way PriestTheRunner put it: "government should be outside of commercial transactions as much as possible."

Some industries need regulation, and insurance is one of them. But when it comes to rating policies with different risks, let them do it competitively. Insurance programs should not be a way to disguise other government objectives, the way that Obamacare did (wealth transfer).
How does one as an individual rate an insurance company? The little old lady buying a worthless life insurance policy? There are so many fraudulent or borderline companies out there that Nigerian scams look harmless compared to them. Consumer Reports usually does a rating once in awhile but how does the average person do it? You can't go on price. I once had auto insurance with the company that your in good hands with. It was virtually impossible to get them to ever pay a claim. If any industry needs regulation to protect the consumer it is the insurance industry as the only time you ever know how they will do is after the fact and that's when it is to late. Having state regulation gives the consumer a possibility of redress. I do agree though that less government regulation in general is a desired feature. Less government regulation in firearm ownership would be great.
I hate to sidetrack the post. Has anyone ever seen a clause in a business policy that required 30.06/07 posting?
Sorry. When I said "rate" I meant the company crunching all the probabilities of outcomes and charging the actuarilly fair premium to cover that risk.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

When negotiating anything with another party, you always start out higher than you are willing to settle for. You have to give the other party the idea that they one part of the battle. I think Charles has it right.
1. Remove all off-limits areas for LTCs;
2. Exempt volunteer security personnel protecting schools and students from the Texas Private Security Act.

Chas.
Will we get that? There will be objections. But statistically we are the safest armed group in the state. That has to count big in the negotiations.

As for the force of law for 30.06/30.07 signs on private property, I see both sides of this issue. Property rights, versus constitutional rights. I have no problem avoiding businesses who post, but I have empathy for their employees who are left defenseless. I can also envision certain jobs where carrying a gun would be a prohibitive risk such as chemical plants where an ND could be devastating. So I would float this idea. If you decide to post your business 30.06 you have to provide armed security for the protection of your employees. No you have something a business owner is good at understanding. Namely, the cost of complying with government regulations.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

I would really like for it to be possible for those who attend church on school property, public and private, to be able to legally carry to their church services.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

SewTexas wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:59 pm I would really like for it to be possible for those who attend church on school property, public and private, to be able to legally carry to their church services.
Exempt LTC holders from TPC 46.03 and 46.035 or remove TPC 46.03 and 46.035 from the penal code and that will happen.
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 am 1. Remove all off-limits areas for LTCs;

Chas.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Chas.
Removing off limits areas for LTC's needs to be an all out effort by all 2A groups! The Ft.Worth Paper online has had multiple articles on Constitutional Carry being the next big gun law in Texas. While I am for it, it needs to take a back seat this next year to removing off limit areas. Let's spend our political capital wisely.
Ron
NRA Member

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 9

Post by PriestTheRunner »

rtschl wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:30 am

Chas.
Removing off limits areas for LTC's needs to be an all out effort by all 2A groups! The Ft.Worth Paper online has had multiple articles on Constitutional Carry being the next big gun law in Texas. While I am for it, it needs to take a back seat this next year to removing off limit areas. Let's spend our political capital wisely.
Last edited by PriestTheRunner on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Lynyrd wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:12 pm If you decide to post your business 30.06 you have to provide armed security for the protection of your employees.
Not going to happen. That would be a huge expense for small businesses that post an 06.

Anyway, my knee-jerk thoughts:

1. Again.... remove all or most of those places where CC is not allowed, especially things like large sporting events, etc.

2. Clarify and simplify this restriction against carrying in government-owned buildings. It's too much of a burden on the citizen to research the exact ownership of every piece of public property, its funding sources, its lease agreements, etc. etc.

2a. And simplify the process of initiating penalties. This thing with letters sitting for 8 months in the AG's Inbox is silly. It should be quick and streamlined: government-owned building. 06 sign. Report. Confirm with a drive-by. Pay fine. Period.

3. Establish that a business can be held liable if it posts a 30-06 sign and someone is killed or injured in a criminal firearms incident while in that business.

I need to jerk my knee a little more...
-Ruark

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Chas.
The bill I have written 1) creates unlicensed-carry; 2) moves all of TPC §46.035 to §46.03; and 3) exempts LTC's from §46.03. The benefit of this approach is that it creates so-called constitutional carry while preserving a big incentive to get an LTC. The Legislature does not like unlicensed-carry, but providing an incentive to get an LTC along with its education/training will help make it more palatable.

I know, I know. The more hardcore open-carry/unlicensed-carry folks are going to cry foul because they would not be able to carry where LTCs would be able to carry. Sorry, sometimes you have to wake up and realize we live in the real world, not Utopia.

Chas.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 9

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:18 am

Chas.
The bill I have written 1) creates unlicensed-carry; 2) moves all of TPC §46.035 to §46.03; and 3) exempts LTC's from §46.03. The benefit of this approach is that it creates so-called constitutional carry while preserving a big incentive to get an LTC. The Legislature does not like unlicensed-carry, but providing an incentive to get an LTC along with its education/training will help make it more palatable.

I know, I know. The more hardcore open-carry/unlicensed-carry folks are going to cry foul because they would not be able to carry where LTCs would be able to carry. Sorry, sometimes you have to wake up and realize we live in the real world, not Utopia.

Chas.
Plus that fixes the gun-free zones issue- but only for those who have gone through the DPS full BG check.

I like this. :txflag:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:21 am

Chas.

Chas.
Plus that fixes the gun-free zones issue- but only for those who have gone through the DPS full BG check.

I like this. :txflag:
:iagree: :txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Russell wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 am

Chas.

Chas.
I sincerely hope we are able to get this moving *without* the help of TSRA. They really did us wrong last session.
Russell, what am I missing about TSRA? To be honest, I haven’t paid that much attention to them ever since I let my membership lapse, so I’m not current on what they did or didn’t do.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Chas.

Chas.
If that bill succeeds, you will be the man of year! :thumbs2:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”