Texas Driver Shot by Man Whose Rifle Fired as He Cleaned it

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Texas Driver Shot by Man Whose Rifle Fired as He Cleaned it

Post by Keith B »

Bryan, TX - A 71-year-old Texas motorist was seriously injured after he was struck by a bullet that accidentally discharged from a rifle that a man was cleaning in a nearby home.
More info here https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/weird/Texas ... 21011.html

Hopefully the man and passenger will make full recoveries.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Texas Driver Shot by Man Whose Rifle Fired as He Cleaned it

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Oh my gosh! To be unfortunate enough that he went through 71 years of life only to be driving down a highway to be at the exact place and time to be wounded by a bullet discharged due to a negligent discharge from a person he never knew but to be fortunate enough that this same path could have been altered by even a split second from anyone in that circle of fate and was not at the same spot at just the right time to be killed by the very same bullet.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I hope the man gets well quickly!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

So this is now the second "cleaning a rifle and it discharged story". The first guy was charged with manslaughter, I hope this knucklehead is charged with something too.

03Lightningrocks

philip964 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:26 am So this is now the second "cleaning a rifle and it discharged story". The first guy was charged with manslaughter, I hope this knucklehead is charged with something too.
:iagree:

flechero

Post by flechero »

I'm amazed by how many people clean loaded guns... seriously, if you are capable of loading and firing a gun, you should be as capable of UNLOADING the gun.

Even more amazed by the chance series of events that led this bullet hit the guy driving down the road nearby...

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

I really think the "I was cleaning my gun" stories are many times fantasies to coverup stupid acts that are not related to cleaning at all.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

puma guy wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:41 am I really think the "I was cleaning my gun" stories are many times fantasies to coverup stupid acts that are not related to cleaning at all.

Except I would change "many" to "most" and "fantasies" to "lies".
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

spectre wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:53 am
puma guy wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:41 am I really think the "I was cleaning my gun" stories are many times fantasies to coverup stupid acts that are not related to cleaning at all.

Except I would change "many" to "most" and "fantasies" to "lies".
Yup! I was trying to be diplomatic :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

The 'gun just went off while I was cleaning it' should be banned from ever being written or spoken of...

More acceptable: I was horse playing with a 'hot' firearm then I stupidly pulled the trigger.

For this idiocy your punishment will be being launched out of an airplane at 2700' with a pack that may or may not be filled with a workable chute. It has to be an old fashioned round static line type - no squares for you.

But to be kind, you get to pick if you'll be dropped over the ocean or land.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I'm with you on this one. I've purchased a few new firearms over the years, and in every manual it talked about the first step for cleaning being the unloading of the firearm, and generally walks one through the steps for doing so. In fact, I cannot understand how someone can properly clean a firearm that is loaded. How do you put the brush/patch/boresnake through the barrel if a round is in there? I'm sure there are all kinds of excuses, but I think they're all bogus.

03Lightningrocks

I suspect it has to do with pulling the trigger at the beginning of the process. Possibly left a round in chamber the last time they went to shoot or hunt. I am amazed how many hunters only shoot their rifles at the beginning of the deer season and then if they get lucky on one. Deer rifles all over the country see darkness from December until November the next year. But I am also one who feels cleaning the gun is no excuse.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

There is zero excuse or explanation for pulling a trigger on a firearm if you don’t know whether it is loaded or not.

The truth is probably not exactly what was told to the police. The odds seem extraordinary that a bullet fired from a second story room passed through a wall (after all it was an accident so the rifle couldn’t have been pointed downward through a window, right?) and went into a moving vehicle on “an adjacent road.”
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

03Lightningrocks

We won't have to speculate long. The shooter's home will be treated as a crime scene. Ballistics will give up the story in short order. Police have that stuff down pat. They will look at everything from the spot he claimed to be sitting while cleaning to the spot where the bullet left the house. They will run the shooter through seven kinds of hell and his story better match crime scene evidence precisely.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”