TX: No place but Austin- Pro Palestinian protest at Texas Capitol

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 36

TX: No place but Austin- Pro Palestinian protest at Texas Capitol

Post by philip964 »

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/local/ ... ogdF6tE4M/

Austin report on Confederate statues raises idea of changing the name of the city to someone who opposed slavery. Maybe a woman or Cesar Chavez.

Austin “also opposed an attempt by Mexico to ban slavery in the province of Tejas and said if slaves were freed, they would turn into “vagabonds, a nuisance and a menace.””

Barton Springs would have to be renamed as he was a slave holder and a whole bunch of street names changed to sanitize the city of its history.
Last edited by philip964 on Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: No place but Austin

Post by OneGun »

Slavery was part of our history. It was not a highlight, but it is our history. We own it. Re-writing our history will not fix anything except make Liberals feel good.

Forgetting our history will make us repeat history. Remember the holocaust? It took a world force to stop genocide. So, why does the world tolerate genocide in other parts of the world today?

We should never forget!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

What is next, re-naming Washington DC and state because George Washington was a slave owner. What about everything else maned for him as well as Thomas Jefferson????? Wasn't Sam Houston also a slave owner? This has got to stop.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

I saw this article and I am left wondering if there is someone left in Austin who put this in as an attempt to show the rest of them just how ridiculous this whitewashing of history really is. I cannot think, even in Austin, that this is a serious proposal, which left me guessing it was someone who was trying to point out that we are trying to impose today's standards on people who lived in another time. You can even see the mention of society's values being fluid as a warning that this will happen again. There is also the warning of a lack of democratic process in there. Those could be taken as excuses for how the city got into this situation or warnings that it will happen again, no matter who we name the streets/parks/monuments after.
Steve Rothstein

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

srothstein wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm I saw this article and I am left wondering if there is someone left in Austin who put this in as an attempt to show the rest of them just how ridiculous this whitewashing of history really is. I cannot think, even in Austin, that this is a serious proposal, which left me guessing it was someone who was trying to point out that we are trying to impose today's standards on people who lived in another time. You can even see the mention of society's values being fluid as a warning that this will happen again. There is also the warning of a lack of democratic process in there. Those could be taken as excuses for how the city got into this situation or warnings that it will happen again, no matter who we name the streets/parks/monuments after.
I posted this same article on facebook just this morning, and the suggestion to change the city’s name came from within the commission that is tasked with looking into renaming monuments, parks, schools, etc.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

OneGun wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 pm Slavery was part of our history. It was not a highlight, but it is our history. We own it. Re-writing our history will not fix anything except make Liberals feel good.

Forgetting our history will make us repeat history. Remember the holocaust? It took a world force to stop genocide. So, why does the world tolerate genocide in other parts of the world today?

We should never forget!
We don't even own slavery. On the scale of the history of slavery we, the United States, are only one teeny tiny sliver, compared to the rest of the world and hopefully very near the end of that scale. Comparatively, we were just a blip when we had it and got rid of it in this country. It is still going on in other parts of the world today. However, many would never know this if they only listen to the liberal side.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:00 pm
srothstein wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm I saw this article and I am left wondering if there is someone left in Austin who put this in as an attempt to show the rest of them just how ridiculous this whitewashing of history really is. I cannot think, even in Austin, that this is a serious proposal, which left me guessing it was someone who was trying to point out that we are trying to impose today's standards on people who lived in another time. You can even see the mention of society's values being fluid as a warning that this will happen again. There is also the warning of a lack of democratic process in there. Those could be taken as excuses for how the city got into this situation or warnings that it will happen again, no matter who we name the streets/parks/monuments after.
I posted this same article on facebook just this morning, and the suggestion to change the city’s name came from within the commission that is tasked with looking into renaming monuments, parks, schools, etc.
Sorry, TAM. Yes, I was thinking there might actually be one member of the commission in Austin that still had a shred of common sense. That really is hard to imagine knowing Austin as I do, but I thought it might be possible.
Steve Rothstein

dlh

Post by dlh »

I will guess who is on this commission---leftist professor from University of Texas...community organizer....and retired dem. politician...
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

srothstein wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:00 pm
Sorry, TAM. Yes, I was thinking there might actually be one member of the commission in Austin that still had a shred of common sense. That really is hard to imagine knowing Austin as I do, but I thought it might be possible.
It’s hard to frame the whole thing in terms other than disappointingly stupid, isn’t it?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

apostate

Post by apostate »

philip964 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:22 pm https://www.mystatesman.com/news/local/ ... ogdF6tE4M/

Austin report on Confederate statues raises idea of changing the name of the city to someone who opposed slavery. Maybe a woman or Cesar Chavez.
Why not Stalin?

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I recommend “Bob”. I think the Canadians in what used to be Northwest Territories had that as a ballot choice for naming. They ended up going with a First Peoples (I.e.Eskimo”) name...Nanunavik or something... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

They'll probably vote to rename it "Sacramento".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

My husband's suggestion is that they threw the renaming of the city in there so that the rest of the renaming seems "reasonable" in comparison, and they look good when they say "No, we're not renaming our city".
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Off-Topic”