NY governor: America was never that great

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Re: NY governor: America was never that great

Post by bblhd672 »

philbo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:06 am
philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:43 pm .... Name another country or people who have done more.
I'm proud of my country, not blinded by homilies that white wash the truth and do little more than promote a false patriotism based on an interpretation that isn't warranted. Be proud, be patriotic, don't be blind to the past that brought us here.

Throwing off the yoke of a monarchy.
Rome 509 BC; England 1649; France 1792

Lighting a candle of freedom and keeping it burning for more than 200 years.
Rome for 400 years; Declaration of the rights of man - 1789 France; Bill of Rights -1689 England

Electing its government by and for its citizens.
Roman Republic; France after 1789; England 1832; France 1789 (Depends on who can be counted a citizen - Landowners? Women? Freed slaves?)

Promoting freedom and democracy across the world.
Ancient Greece/Athens & the Roman Republic (their influence outlived their republics) ; Great Britain; France. But, we're not in the nation building business much these days it seems.

Making the sea safe for travelers and trade.
When? US was not a true sea power until WWII; Prior to that France, Spain and England controlled the seas thru the 19th century.

Fighting a war to end slavery.
Most didn't have to fight a war. Modern countries only? Spain 1811; Mexico 1829; Britain 1772; France 1315; US was way behind the curve on this one and the fact it took a civil war is not something to be especially proud of.

Fighting a war to end world conquest and domination by the most evil men the world had ever seen
You'll have to be more specific, but if you're thinking WWII - then all allied powers.

After victory not taking tribute, slaves or land but helping those defeated enemies achieve freedom and prosperity.
Again, specifics needed, but the US was actively involved in conquest through much of the 19th & 20th century both internally and abroad.

Founding a world organization to promote world peace through dialogue.
League of Nations? US didn't join. United Nations? The Atlantic Charter (1941) in which the US was one of 26 nations pledged to fight the Axis powers served as a corner stone for the UN which followed the end of WWII.

Giving the world some of the greatest inventions ever seen.
Across all of time? probably those places with the longest periods of culture. China was hundreds if not thousands of years ahead of Europe. Greece and Rome, England, France.... kinda broad here, I guess it would depend on how you wanted to define greatest. The US has been a great source of innovation, but much of what we have accomplished comes from standing on the shoulders of other individuals and nations.

Being the first to explore space and doing it without claiming the new lands discovered for itself.
Soviet Union/Russia was first in Space. No one has laid claim on anything in space thanks to a treaty signed in 1967 by more than 60 nations, including the US.
So, you agree with an east coast liberal that America has never been that great. Big surprise. Now we just need to hear from Dale Blanker about how Cuomo is correct.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:21 pm The people in New York City may like him but the folks in Upstate New York have a different opinion. I was at a manufacturing facility in Upstate New York for factory acceptance testing of equipment my former employer was purchasing early last year. I needed to make a restroom break and smiled at the "Cuomo Aiming Point (his picture)" in the urinal. The vast majority of the folks in New York State wish New York City would float off into the Atlantic Ocean never to be heard from again and that Cuomo would go along for the trip.
:iagree: They people who don't live in "the city" despise those that do. I have met some really nice people in New York state. And you don't have to get very far north out of that rat hole of a city to find good folks. About 30 or 40 miles will do it.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

philbo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philbo »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:11 amSo, you agree with an east coast liberal that America has never been that great. Big surprise. Now we just need to hear from Dale Blanker about how Cuomo is correct.
And there is where you miss the entire point by failing to use any logic whatsoever. At no point did I even use cuomo's name. Disagreeing with a series of statements that are not objectively supported by history (which the OP requested) is in no way equals my support for cuomo... yet you take the simple path of dismissing what you disagree with without offering a shred of argument to support the OP or your conclusion. But, in this age of trumpism, such unquestioned platitudes seem to be a substitute for patriotism.

Return to “Off-Topic”