Formaldehyde or It's Equal Leaking Out The Dead

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Formaldehyde or It's Equal Leaking Out The Dead

Post by Abraham »

Buried caskets eventually degrade thus leaking corpse fluids into the water table.

Is this a 'Chicken Little' scenario or something that really does occur?

I hope this is movie type fiction, but I'm unsure...

Anyone else heard of this?

Thanks!

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Formaldehyde or It's Equal Leaking Out The Dead

Post by Jusme »

Abraham wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:58 am Buried caskets eventually degrade thus leaking corpse fluids into the water table.

Is this a 'Chicken Little' scenario or something that really does occur?

I hope this is movie type fiction, but I'm unsure...

Anyone else heard of this?

Thanks!

Iv'e never heard of it, but, I do know that any burials these days, require a casket liner. I would think that anything like this would take several years to occur, but, I'm no expert, on the subject.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

A casket (concrete) liner is not required by law, at least by the state of Texas or federal. Some cemeteries may require it because it helps with the ground settling. I doubt the amount of body fluid would have much effect on ground water.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Almost everyone now living has the Z virus inside them. It only gets transmitted to the living by fluid(saliva) to blood transfer(i.e. by a bite from one of the active (un)dead). The previously and permanently dead can no longer be hosts for the virus, hence no concern for cemeteries with leaky caskets. :shock:

Now seriously...I expect by the time a casket degraded to the point of allowing the contents to escape the body would long since be desiccated and free of fluids. Even formaldehyde would likely be degraded or present in such small quantities as not to be a threat to the water table. Additionally, for low lying places like New Orleans, many dead are "buried" above ground to avoid floating caskets/corpses in a flood. Then there's always cremation. :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScottDLS wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:57 am Almost everyone now living has the Z virus inside them. It only gets transmitted to the living by fluid(saliva) to blood transfer(i.e. by a bite from one of the active (un)dead). The previously and permanently dead can no longer be hosts for the virus, hence no concern for cemeteries with leaky caskets. :shock:

Now seriously...I expect by the time a casket degraded to the point of allowing the contents to escape the body would long since be desiccated and free of fluids. Even formaldehyde would likely be degraded or present in such small quantities as not to be a threat to the water table. Additionally, for low lying places like New Orleans, many dead are "buried" above ground to avoid floating caskets/corpses in a flood. Then there's always cremation. :???:
Does it matter if they were shot in the brain with a .22, or just burned with fire?

If I understand the embalming process correctly (it is possible I do not), the formaldehyde replaces all or most of the body fluids, so it would be the only fluid in significant enough quantity to matter to the environment. According to CARB (California Air Resources Board), formaldehyde is found in the building materials used in our homes, including:
....plywood, particleboard, and other pressed wood products used in home construction and furnishings, and many consumer products.
That said, the members of the CARB board are all actively infected with the Z virus, and have been surviving by eating the brains of Californians ... which explains much about their voting patterns.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I'm guessing by the time a casket would deteriorate a body in it would already be dry bones by then.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

I've done groundwater work at a site that was directly adjacent to a very, very old cemetery in Dallas. It was by far the nastiest water I encountered during the 10 or so years I did that kind of work. It was perched water and it isn't used for anything, but you could smell the cemetery in that stuff. For those unfamiliar with perched water.......

A perched water table (or perched aquifer) is an aquifer that occurs above the regional water table, in the vadose zone. This occurs when there is an impermeable layer of rock or sediment (aquiclude) or relatively impermeable layer (aquitard) above the main water table/aquifer but below the surface of the land. If a perched aquifer's flow intersects the Earth's dry surface, at a valley wall, for example, the water is discharged as a spring.
TSRA Life Memeber

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Formaldehyde or It's Equal Leaking Out The Dead ???

So ... wear rubber boots at polling places when I go vote & avoid and pools of liquid on the floor?
I am opting to not get drained & embalmed.

I believe that as long as you're buried within 3 days, & have closed casket you don't have to or something like that.
I could make me a casket with a clear acrylic lid in case anyone wants to see me.
I might prefer to be positioned waving goodbye instead of arms crossed or by my side.
I'm having a woodburning set thing like a soldering iron write on the side " Be Back Later" or "See You Later" probably "BBL" because I'm not so sure all my acquaintances will be in the same place i go.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

NotRPB wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:57 am Formaldehyde or It's Equal Leaking Out The Dead ???

So ... wear rubber boots at polling places when I go vote & avoid and pools of liquid on the floor?

I believe that as long as you're buried within 3 days, & have closed casket you don't have to or something like that.
I could make me a casket with a clear acrylic lid in case anyone wants to see me.
I might prefer to be positioned waving goodbye instead of arms crossed or by my side.
I'm having a woodburning set thing like a soldering iron write on the side " Be Back Later" or "See You Later" probably "BBL" because I'm not so sure all my acquaintances will be in the same place i go.
There is a fly on that toe! :shock: EWWWWW! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

Cremation for me. Not allowed in my religion but neither is embalming. So you know where I will be in my next existence if there really is one.

stash

Post by stash »

Well today there are places (probably in the county only) where people are buried with no fluids introduced into the body and no vault of any type used. I believe they are referred to as natural burials. No headstones or nothing above ground. The owner of the property or someone gets a GPS reading so the family of the deceased can visit their love ones. As far as I know the body is wrapped in some type of cloth.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I've left firm instructions for cremation. I've also suggested that they load my ashes into shot shells and to have a blast at my expense!
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:02 am
NotRPB wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:57 am Formaldehyde or It's Equal Leaking Out The Dead ???

There is a fly on that toe! :shock: EWWWWW! :lol:
Yeah TAM, from that song .... Shoe Fly don't bother me ....
They should know Toads eat flies .... They should stay away lest they get "toed"
but flies aren't smart ....
Time flies quick> like an arrow .... Fruitflies like > bananas

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

WASHINGTON (January 29, 2014) - The Formaldehyde Panel of the American Chemistry Council
has issued the following statement in response to media reports that West Virginians may be
breathing formaldehyde following the recent incident in the state:

"Formaldehyde is a ubiquitous, naturally occurring substance produced by every living organism.
Studies show that formaldehyde is readily biodegradable and does not accumulate in either the
environment or in people. In the environment, formaldehyde is quickly broken down in the air by
sunlight or by bacteria in soil or water."
https://www.americanchemistry.com/Media ... dable.html
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

WildBill wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:32 pm WASHINGTON (January 29, 2014) - The Formaldehyde Panel of the American Chemistry Council
has issued the following statement in response to media reports that West Virginians may be
breathing formaldehyde following the recent incident in the state:

"Formaldehyde is a ubiquitous, naturally occurring substance produced by every living organism.
Studies show that formaldehyde is readily biodegradable and does not accumulate in either the
environment or in people. In the environment, formaldehyde is quickly broken down in the air by
sunlight or by bacteria in soil or water."
https://www.americanchemistry.com/Media ... dable.html

But doesn't it have chemicals, known to cause cancer in California? Everything else does. :smilelol5:

I'm surprised they haven't outlawed it, in Commifornia, because, it could cause cancer in corpses. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”