Pictures of your "Brown Guns"

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

NJ_Expat
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Pictures of your "Brown Guns"

Post by NJ_Expat »

LTUME1978 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:10 pmHow do you like having the Garand set up in .308? I will be traveling to the CMP in a couple of weeks to shoot in the IDPA National Championship. Will be my first time there and probably my last. I need an M1 like I need a hole in my head but have been thinking about getting one for some time. Have been trying to decide between the 30-06 and the 308.
While I've never owned or fired an M1 chambered in 7.62 NATO (mine is in 30-06), I would imagine that ammo cost would be an advantage over the 30-06. When buying ammo for my LRB M14, the 7.62 NATO ammo is consistently cheaper than the 30-06 I'm buying for the M1.

What is good about 30-06 is that when the rifle is set up with the appropriate gas plug (either vented or bored out), you can safely run some pretty hot 30-06 hunting ammo through it without putting the operating rod at risk, if that's something that would eventually interest you. I do have a bored gas plug on my M1, and it definitely eases the wear and tear on the rifle, even when using ammo that is equivalent to M2 ball circa WW2. Other than that, I would venture that it's kind of a "six or half a dozen" situation, as the cartridges are so ballistically similar to one another.

That said, 30-06 is the more historically accurate cartridge to use, although technically the navy did have M1's chambered in 7.62 NATO back in the day. Nothing like seeing that big 30-06 brass fly out of the rifle. People at the range stop and pay attention when you touch that thing off the first time. It is truly one of the baddest machines you'll ever lay hands on.
Not a liberal.
Not a conservative.
Equal parts well-meaning free-thinker and misguided madman.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Scott B.,

Would you get a 308 again (now that you have one) or would you go to a 30-06 for the next one. Reasons. I will only get one rifle (if I get that) and want to hear from those that have the 308.

Thanks

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

NJ_Expat,

Thank you for the reply and information. I doubt I would run hunting ammo through it. I have some old 30-06 brass around and Starline tells me that they will start making 30-06 brass soon. 308 ammo is less expensive and more common. Where did you get the information about boring out the gas block?

Thanks

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:18 am NJ_Expat,

Thank you for the reply and information. I doubt I would run hunting ammo through it. I have some old 30-06 brass around and Starline tells me that they will start making 30-06 brass soon. 308 ammo is less expensive and more common. Where did you get the information about boring out the gas block?

Thanks
You don't need to bore anything. Just replace the gas plug with the SCHUSTER HIGH VOLUME M1 GAS PLUG.

The added volume it provides reduces or eliminates the sharp pressure spike modern ammo causes which has been known to bend the op rod.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NJ_Expat

Post by NJ_Expat »

LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:18 amThank you for the reply and information. I doubt I would run hunting ammo through it. I have some old 30-06 brass around and Starline tells me that they will start making 30-06 brass soon. 308 ammo is less expensive and more common. Where did you get the information about boring out the gas block?
Believe it or not, there are a few companies that make gas plugs set up for this kind of thing, because the M1 is common in service rifle matches.

Off the top of my head, Schuster makes an adjustable gas plug that allows you to tune it to a particular load for accuracy and reliability, they make a plug that is simply vented to bleed off gas, and they make a plug that is hollowed out to reduce pressure spikes in the gas cylinder. Different means to the same end.

I actually have the adjustable gas plug on my M14, and it's pretty cool. VERY soft shooter when the plug is tuned for whatever you're shooting.

I have the hollowed-out plug on my M1, and it does the job. Slows the speed of the operating rod, and therefore reduces battering of the moving parts (it also reduces felt recoil). The M1 has big, heavy components that are slamming into each other during the firing cycle, so reducing the velocity at which those parts are moving is paramount to preserving the life of the rifle.

7.62/.308 ammo is cheaper and easier to obtain than 30-06, no doubt. And I'm pretty sure that en bloc clips accept 7.62 ammo just fine. Now since you're set up for reloading, the cost differential basically goes out the window. You can reload each cartridge for basically the same price because they take the same slug (147 gr FMJ).

Ultimately, I think the only variable in play at this point is personal preference. That said, you can always get the rifle rebarreled if you pick up one and eventually decide to switch to the other chambering. Where are you located? If you want to meet up at a range somewhere, I have plenty of 30-06 we can run through my M1 so you can get the full experience and have a bit more information with which to work.
Not a liberal.
Not a conservative.
Equal parts well-meaning free-thinker and misguided madman.

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Scott B. »

LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:14 am Scott B.,

Would you get a 308 again (now that you have one) or would you go to a 30-06 for the next one. Reasons. I will only get one rifle (if I get that) and want to hear from those that have the 308.

Thanks
If I didn't have one, I wouldn't hesitate. That said, I do want a 30.06 for historical* reasons.

The 308 version is identical to the 30-06, all the same parts, but has a new barrel with correct chamber. Garand en bloc clips work just fine. The only other difference is a small, white polymer 'plug' piece that prevents you, or anyone else, from loading a 30-06 round by mistake.

Rifle runs great. I've made no changes to it at all. Running the gas plug it came with and have zero issues.

* that's what I keep telling myself. It's all about history. It's not that I just want another Garand. "rlol"
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmorris »

NJ_Expat wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:36 am
LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:18 amThank you for the reply and information. I doubt I would run hunting ammo through it. I have some old 30-06 brass around and Starline tells me that they will start making 30-06 brass soon. 308 ammo is less expensive and more common. Where did you get the information about boring out the gas block?
Believe it or not, there are a few companies that make gas plugs set up for this kind of thing, because the M1 is common in service rifle matches.
Got my gas plug at http://www.garandgear.com/index.php along with a few other things. I usually get my M1 30.06 at sgammo.com

1957 vintage H&R, bayonet brought back from WWII by my dad.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I'm counting this as a brown gun, at least until the new Hogue grips arrive. :cool:

Sig P226 Single Action Only, 9mm, w/ Dawson Precision sights and a 20rd mag. It's a tack driver. Like shooting a 22 after all the rounds I have through lighter, striker-fired polymer guns. But, doubt I ever carry it unless I'm feeling particularly rambunctious.
P226 SAO
P226 SAO

edited for image host.
Last edited by Scott B. on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

This one came home with me. Sig Sauer M17 Surplus. It is essentially in new, un-issued condition with no rack or inventory marks. It was a hard choice, pick one had seen action or go for best condition. Decided on condition.

M17 Surplus
M17 Surplus

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Sometime this week I'll try to post a picture of the secret birthday present from my wife. She had to get it because Grabagun had such a good price on the Springfield M1a National Match in walnut and stainless. NA9802.

Don't let her know I posted this. Like I said, it's a secret birthday present and I hope it's a long time before she finds out about it.

By the way, they are still in stock for about $1900. I couldn't find that price anywhere.
Charlie

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Here it is. Springfield National Match NA9802.
Attachments
IMG_20200111_143833.jpg
Charlie

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TxRVer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:02 pm Here it is. Springfield National Match NA9802.
Noice!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

TxRVer wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:02 pm Here it is. Springfield National Match NA9802.
Very nice! A NM is on my 'someday I'll justify it' list.

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SigM4 »

I figured we weren’t really including hunting rifles or I’d have included those. Though I’m certain a previous owner likely used the .30-30 to take a dear or two. The M1 is due a new stock this year.

I call this one “Shades of FDE”, though I guess the CZ is technically “Urban Grey”.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”