Officer Invades Apartment, Shoots Resident

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Officer Invades Apartment, Shoots Resident

Post by mojo84 »

Killadocg23 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:16 pm Apparently news is going round that the guy killed and the cop actually knew each other and had “dated” before. Don’t know how true that is but I’ve read and seen it several places.
When you post something like this you should also cite your source.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

mojo84 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:22 pm
Killadocg23 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:16 pm Apparently news is going round that the guy killed and the cop actually knew each other and had “dated” before. Don’t know how true that is but I’ve read and seen it several places.
https://usdailyreport.com/2018/09/07/bo ... n_942.html

Looks like a lot more than originally reported.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

flechero wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Nothing but a bunch of speculation at the link you posted. The poster I quoted said there is "news" going around.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

philip964
Posts in topic: 18

Post by philip964 »

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

mojo84 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:10 pm
flechero wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Nothing but a bunch of speculation at the link you posted. The poster I quoted said there is "news" going around.
My apologies for trying to be helpful. I had just seen that link in another place and offered it up as a possible source of info.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by WTR »

philip964 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:14 pm https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas- ... ng-suspect

Office named.

Never met victim.

So she says. I’ll wait for the T R ‘s report.

spectre
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by spectre »

ELB wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:17 am Man that is not good. If that happened as first reported, she was eligible to be legally shot by the resident.
:iagree:

Unless the door was wide open, the killer unlawfully and with force entered the victim's occupied habitation. Deadly force is presumed justified against the armed intruder.

However, if the victim had shot her, and he survived, does anybody really think he would be treated as gently by the so called justice system as she is being treated?
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Killadocg23 »

spectre wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:01 pm
ELB wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:17 am Man that is not good. If that happened as first reported, she was eligible to be legally shot by the resident.

Unless the door was wide open, the killer unlawfully and with force entered the victim's occupied habitation. Deadly force is presumed justified against the armed intruder.

However, if the victim had shot her, and he survived, does anybody really think he would be treated as gently by the so called justice system as she is being treated?
Of Course not. He would be sitting in a jail cell just as if it would have been me or you.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

spectre wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:01 pm

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas- ... icial-says (limited number of free views)
Report by Dallas Morning News 9/9/18.
Guyger, who was still in uniform, put her key in the door, which was unlocked, and the door opened, the official said. The lights were out. She saw a figure in the darkness and thought her apartment was being burglarized, the official said. Guyger pulled her gun and fired twice.

When she turned on the lights, she realized she was in the wrong apartment. Jean, who worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers, was shot once in the chest.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Allons
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Allons »

I don't see how she could have missed that red floor mat, especially if she did not have one in front of her door. I wonder if she wiped her feet on the mat before opening the door. We all make mistakes, but not very aware of her surroundings for law enforcement.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

C-dub
Posts in topic: 19

Post by C-dub »

I really don't know which way this one is going to go for the officer. There have been incidents within the past several years where people have gone to the wrong home and ended up being killed by the homeowner and the homeowner was not charged. Police have even gone to the wrong house on those no-knock warrants and killed pets or killed or wounded people without being charged.

This one is HORRIBLE for everyone no matter which way you look at it.

Regarding not noticing things like a red door mat or whatever, I've driven home from various places and a few times I can remember shutting my truck off in my driveway and then not remembering which way I came home. Did I stop at that light or did I go a different route? That hasn't happened for several years, but it really freaked me out when it did happen.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

We empower LEO's with the ability to arrest and imprison our fellow citizens. This responsibility should come with a higher standard of acceptable behavior than we have for the citizenry as a whole. We don't yet know all the facts here. But I do know that this officer should be held to at least the same standard that would apply if I (a non-LEO) did the same thing she did.

Assuming that the LEO's story is true, that means I would be out on bond right now if I mistakenly enter a LEO's home and then proceed to shoot and kill them. I honestly could see that happening (assuming the bond here is very high, of course). Also, from what I understand of the law, manslaughter is the correct charge absent proof of intent. But obviously we also need the myriad add-on charges including UCW since she was carrying a weapon while committing a felony, etc. I would expect that this LEO will be in another line of work after serving her prison sentence, and also will never be able to legally own a firearm in the future.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:18 pm We empower LEO's with the ability to arrest and imprison our fellow citizens. This responsibility should come with a higher standard of acceptable behavior than we have for the citizenry as a whole. We don't yet know all the facts here. But I do know that this officer should be held to at least the same standard that would apply if I (a non-LEO) did the same thing she did.

Assuming that the LEO's story is true, that means I would be out on bond right now if I mistakenly enter a LEO's home and then proceed to shoot and kill them. I honestly could see that happening (assuming the bond here is very high, of course). Also, from what I understand of the law, manslaughter is the correct charge absent proof of intent. But obviously we also need the myriad add-on charges including UCW since she was carrying a weapon while committing a felony, etc. I would expect that this LEO will be in another line of work after serving her prison sentence, and also will never be able to legally own a firearm in the future.
No proof of prior intent. She obviously intended to shoot him.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

WTR wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:36 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:18 pm We empower LEO's with the ability to arrest and imprison our fellow citizens. This responsibility should come with a higher standard of acceptable behavior than we have for the citizenry as a whole. We don't yet know all the facts here. But I do know that this officer should be held to at least the same standard that would apply if I (a non-LEO) did the same thing she did.

No proof of prior intent. She obviously intended to shoot him.
IANAL, but if there is no proof of prior intent to kill the man, that means this isn't murder, right? That's why I said that to my layperson's brain, the charge of manslaughter makes sense. But I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you agreeing with me, or disagreeing?

Obviously a full investigation needs to occur and if there was prior intent that changes everything. But, if the fact is that there was no prior intent, then it sounds like the LEO is being treated in the same way that a non-LEO citizen would be. That was my main point and concern.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I think that with her actions she could be charged under the murder statute. Murder could be considered an over charge as intent is a defense. However, she obviously committed an act that could justifiby carry a murder charge.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”