CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
proudpirate
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Apartment Lease Contract Handgun Addendum

Post by proudpirate »

Begin rant. So I while I was renewing my apartment lease contract yesterday I was greeted with an unexpected surprise. They included a "Handgun Addendum" in the renewal. The addendum gave notice of 30.06 and 30.07 with the exception of going between my apartment and my car. Suffice to say I am not pleased with the situation. Part of me wants to say to hell with them and keep on carrying because my life and the lives of others is more important than words on a piece of paper whereas the other part of me thinks I should just comply so as to be a law abiding citizen of the Republic of Texas. I am so annoyed by this. Considering I decided to renew this time I will vote with my money come the next renewal. End rant. :rules: :banghead:

NJ_Expat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Apartment Lease Contract Handgun Addendum

Post by NJ_Expat »

Eh, not a big deal. You can still carry between your apartment and your car, and you can still keep firearms to protect yourself in your apartment. Better to err on the side of caution and just obey the law. You can always move to a new place when the lease is finished, although moving is obviously a real pain in the butt. Avoid wandering around the complex with your CCW and I would think you'll be fine.
Not a liberal.
Not a conservative.
Equal parts well-meaning free-thinker and misguided madman.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm trying to think of exactly what carry is being restricted here. Assuming you check your mail on your way home or on your way out, your fine there. If there's a pool, and you would otherwise carry at the pool, that is restricted. Personally, I don't carry while swimming (but I do have a few Glocks, so I could). Regardless, I think you might want to think of exactly what is being restricted here. It might be a total of less than an hour a month. That should factor into your decision.

A couple other thoughts. Since it was written notice, the wording needed to match the wording in 30.06 and 30.07 exactly, I believe. You might want to double check that. Also, consider whether you are a VESP as defined by Texas statute, which would exempt you from 30.06 restrictions, I believe.

thenick_ttu

Post by thenick_ttu »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:55 pm Since it was written notice, the wording needed to match the wording in 30.06 and 30.07 exactly, I believe.
Additionally, it must be in both English and Spanish.

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Seems to be the way things are going, I'm definitely not saying its right, and definitely not saying that I agree with it. My wife and I renewed our lease back in June and the HG addendum just mentioned 30.07 not .06. Didn't bother me much since I don't normally open carry anyway.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

TomS

Post by TomS »

If I lived in an apartment, I’d be worried about what the knucklehead with a gun is doing on the other side of my apartment wall, ceiling or floor is doing not the public spaces.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

It may be something levied onto the apartment complex owner or management by their insurance carrier. Might be interesting to try to find out the origin of this new restriction. It may be that moving will not provide a solution.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Perazzi100

Post by Perazzi100 »

proudpirate wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:29 pm Begin rant. So I while I was renewing my apartment lease contract yesterday I was greeted with an unexpected surprise. They included a "Handgun Addendum" in the renewal. The addendum gave notice of 30.06 and 30.07 with the exception of going between my apartment and my car. Suffice to say I am not pleased with the situation. Part of me wants to say to hell with them and keep on carrying because my life and the lives of others is more important than words on a piece of paper whereas the other part of me thinks I should just comply so as to be a law abiding citizen of the Republic of Texas. I am so annoyed by this. Considering I decided to renew this time I will vote with my money come the next renewal. End rant. :rules: :banghead:
Proudpirate,

Thanks for posting! I just signed a new lease agreement middle of last month for a new apartment and didn't even look for anything about that... Luckily nothing pertaining to 30.06, only 30.07 is restricted.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

TomS wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:56 pm If I lived in an apartment, I’d be worried about what the knucklehead with a gun is doing on the other side of my apartment wall, ceiling or floor is doing not the public spaces.
I'm just glad I don't have any law enforcement neighbors.... yeah I know.... but i had to say it.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

This has been covered in other posts. I guess that unless the wording was 30.06/07 compliant you have not been given written notice but still could be kicked out of your home for a violation. It would be interesting to see what they did if you carried open between your apartment and your car. This is probably a management issue but I will ask again, has anyone ever seen an insurance policy that requires it? I would not break the rules but did you not know this when you signed and would you have considered moving?

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Do they say what route you have take to your car or can you do 10 laps on your way to your car.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

suthdj wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:25 pm Do they say what route you have take to your car or can you do 10 laps on your way to your car.
That's a good point. Also, since these caveat is included, I can't imagine that the wording could possibly be 30.06 / 30.07 compliant. If there is an exception included, then it would not meet the wording requirements, I believe.

To the OP, if you ever find yourself in a position where you need to break your lease, I suppose you could OC and see if they are going to kick you out for violating the terms of your lease. There may be a small silver lining here.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

There are two issues, here. 1. Is the addendum effective notice in accordance with 30.06 and 30.07? 2. Did you indicate you agree to abide by the terms by signing the lease contract?

If you sign the lease then you need to abide by what you agreed. If you do not agree with the terms, find a new place to live. Choosing to break the law is not congruent with being a law abiding citizen with an LTC.

Character and Integrity are still important.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

When someone pushes a contract in front of me that I don't want to sign, I simply sign "Declined" in cursive and shuffle it in with the other papers.

Same with contracts that expect me to waive negligence.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

flechero

Post by flechero »

Just do any business in the office or with maintenance on the way to or from your car... than find a new apt by renewal time.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”