Words to engrave Great Granddaughter arrived

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Gunner4640
Posts in topic: 7

Words to engrave Great Granddaughter arrived

Post by Gunner4640 »

I am going to give my Army engineer grandson a 1911 for his 21st birthday out of my safe. I've been looking for words to engrave on it but no having much luck in thought. I more or less raised him and always called him Buddy so without making it sound corny I am looking for the right words to put on the slide laser engraved. He calls me grandpa. Any suggestions from other grandpa's that maybe have done this ? Buddy has to be in it. As you can see " to buddy from grandpa" just doesn't work. Any help would be nice,, I have 11 months to get it done
Last edited by Gunner4640 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Words to engrave

Post by Tex1961 »

BG.

He will always know it's Buddy and Grandpa... Simple, not cheesy.. and BG sounds good... He can tell everyone it stands for Big Guy...

Just an alternative suggestion, engrave the grips, not the gun... I think you might want this to be a family heirloom, but if anytime in the future the gun needs to be sold, having a personalized engraving on the side will kill any value to it.

Topic author
Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:00 pm BG.

He will always know it's Buddy and Grandpa... Simple, not cheesy.. and BG sounds good... He can tell everyone it stands for Big Guy...

Just an alternative suggestion, engrave the grips, not the gun... I think you might want this to be a family heirloom, but if anytime in the future the gun needs to be sold, having a personalized engraving on the side will kill any value to it.
Good point but he is the type never to sell it.
But I do like the grips idea thanks
Dave & Wife NRA Members

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Here are some custom grip sites I found after a quick search, I'm sure there are others. Laser etching on the slide would also look nice.

https://www.westvirginiawoodarts.com/Gungrips.html

http://www.engravingextraordinare.com/gallery.html

"Buddy, may your aim always be as true as your heart"
Grandpa

Just a suggestion.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

Essayon
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

DEB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DEB »

Sapper...There is even a Tab for this special skill identifier. Look real good on a set of grips.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

DEB wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:28 am Sapper...There is even a Tab for this special skill identifier. Look real good on a set of grips.
The Sapper tab is not just for engineers though. It's worn by anyone who graduated the Sapper Leader Course operated by the U.S. Army Engineer School at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. If you want to honor his service I'd suggest the Engineer castle with Buddy above and Grandpa below on grips.

Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

oljames3 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 pmEssayon
Captain can you elaborate on the saying please?
Dave & Wife NRA Members

Topic author
Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

jmorris wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:32 pm
DEB wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:28 am Sapper...There is even a Tab for this special skill identifier. Look real good on a set of grips.
The Sapper tab is not just for engineers though. It's worn by anyone who graduated the Sapper Leader Course operated by the U.S. Army Engineer School at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. If you want to honor his service I'd suggest the Engineer castle with Buddy above and Grandpa below on grips.

:iagree: I like that. I hope more reply these are giving me lots of options to build from
Dave & Wife NRA Members

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

Gunner4640 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:03 am
oljames3 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 pmEssayon
Captain can you elaborate on the saying please?
http://www.wood.army.mil/engrmag/PDFs%2 ... oberts.pdf

US Army Engineer history. The Corps of Engineers' oldest and most time honored insignia is the exclusive Essayons Button.

I am an artilleryman, but I took Basic Combat Training and Ft Leonard Wood, MO, and have had many good associations with the US Army Corps of Engineers over the years.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I know you mentioned laser engraving, however have you considered having it actually engraved into the metal using more traditional methods? I know of at least one shop here in Texas that uses several very skilled engravers and can refinish the slide afterwards.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

When I had a rifle engraved, all I could find was laser engraving.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

WTR wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:45 am When I had a rifle engraved, all I could find was laser engraving.
I hear that, finding a good engraver is hard, fortunately I have a friend. Bobby Tyler of Tyler Gun works (on the cover of the current Brownells catalog) has access to multiple engravers and he can refinish the part(s) afterwards. One engraver whose work I have personally held in my hands and said work has impressed me is Dale Bass out of Amarillo Texas.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

http://www.dallasengraver.com

Ken is a member of my lodge and I have seen his work first hand. It is all top notch engraving. He has some pictures on his website
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

DEB

Post by DEB »

jmorris wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:32 pm

I do like the Castle idea for sure. The Castle represents all Engineers, including your Combat Engineers (12 series), road builders, (Horizontal Engineers), Structure builders, (Vertical Engineers), and the Civilian/Officer side, the Corps of Engineers, which is not to be confused with the Engineer Regiment or Engineer Corps. (Confusing Yes?) About Sapper, I do have to comment about the above statement and not allow it to stand alone.
There are folks that are Sapper Qualified (not MOS specific) and folks that are Qualified Sappers, (MOS specific). (Much like Ranger Qualified (again not MOS specific, do not have to be Airborne) versus Qualified Rangers, (MOS specific, plus must be Airborne)). These "Sappers" are your Combat Engineers, (12B) who conduct route clearance, breaching, demolition combat missions, and those other jobs that are directly associated with the Combat Mission and are often found up front with the Infantry and who often are in direct combat with an enemy force, especially during the Breach. :fire
This from a retired "Combat Engineer" 1SG and "Qualified Sapper" AIR ASSUALT!
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”