Texas Legislative Law Handbook

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Texas Legislative Law Handbook

Post by mojo84 »

Have you purchased this? If so, do you recommend it?

www.txlegelaw.com/product-page/texas-le ... w-handbook

I know I could use more education on how our legislature works and this popped up on my Twitter feed.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Legislative Law Handbook

Post by ELB »

There is a freebie download on the Texas Legislature Online website that explains the Legislative process as well. Dunno if it is better or worse than this version, but I used it for reference before. If I can find a link to it I will post it later. You probably wouldn't be hurt paying $30 for the one you linked to, but you might want to check out the free one first.

ETA: The House and the Senate adopt new procedures for every legislative session. They probably don't vary a lot from session to session, but it is possible that there will be changes in the next one that we don't know about.

Here are a couple or four references:

https://tlc.texas.gov/docs/legref/legis ... rocess.pdf

https://senate.texas.gov/_assets/srcpub ... et_101.pdf

https://hro.house.texas.gov/pdf/focus/hwbill85.pdf

https://tlc.texas.gov/docs/legref/legis ... rocess.pdf
Last edited by ELB on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

There is also a free app that has all statues within it, and is searchable by keyword.

Not sure I would buy anything with how much information is free these days.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

mojo84 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:18 am Have you purchased this? If so, do you recommend it?

www.txlegelaw.com/product-page/texas-le ... w-handbook

I know I could use more education on how our legislature works and this popped up on my Twitter feed.
The odds are pretty good that this is already on the shelf in the Reference section of your local library.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I have to agree with ELB and recommend the official legislature web site. I use their site for reference at work regularly. It, and probably most guides, are missing a few things I find important but you may not need. My biggest complaint is that it sometimes take them a long time to update their site, especially during the session.

Keep their site in mind for use during the session. It will get you to the various bills introduced and help you track their stages.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

I do reference the site for bill updates and status. I was thinking more in the way of gaining a better understanding of the processes, procedures and rules of the legislative process.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”