Tumbleweeds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 973

Re: Tumbleweeds

Post by chuck j »

The Captain walked in the cabin , he was wet with sweat and Wade got him a glass of cool water and started a pot of tea . The Captain sat down a bit and drank the water . He got up and said ...Let me check your wound ma'am . She pulled the blanket up on her side and he knelt down to examine it . He pulled the bandages off and asked Wade to give him a clean sack and a little water . He cleaned the wound and area around it then dried it with a clean cloth .

He said ...It is hardly draining ma'am ! It is red but not bad and is healing really good ! Wade agreed and asked ...Do you think we need to stich it up when the weeping stops Captain ? Captain Jack thought on it and said ..No , it looks like it will scab over well when we quit keeping it open to drain . Lets just let it heal on its own . Wade agreed and said ...Yep ! It's doing good , we will just keep it clean (then he said loudly for her to hear) AND KEEP HER FROM DOING THINGS TO BREAK IT OPEN ! She said ...I'm going to be careful and not do too much . They just looked at her and Wade said ...Yea …...right ! We know how you are and will be watching you

They put a lighter bandage on her and cleaned the gun belt tightening it a little less than it had been .

They checked Sam .They sat him up and roused him to drink water . Captain Jack patted his face calling his name and he opened his eyes then after a few seconds he said ...Captain ? Captain Jack said ...Your alright Sam ! You are at the cabin and we have cleaned your wound . You have a bad fever and we are getting your temperature down . You need to eat ...are you hungry . Sam said ...No . Captain Jack said ...Well your going to eat anyway , you haven't eaten in three days . We will make you some mush , you need to eat ! Sam said ...Ok .

Wade got a small pot and started some mush after they laid him down on his pallet .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Nate and Zeke had done well trying out the new shotgun , they got enough meat for today and tomorrow but Zeke was thinking and told Nate … You know what Nate ! Since we are already here to the river we ought ta set a couple of lines out ! If we catch any catfish we can save em on a stringer fir later . Lets use some quail guts for bait and see how we do . He laughed and said ...I bet catfish like quail too !

They sat out three lines in the willows east of the laundry rock . Coming back Zeke went to the laundry rock and relived the fight just a few days ago . Cartridge brass was almost piled up behind the rock itself from her firing the Henry . He picked all the brass up and counted them as he went . She had fired eighty three rounds while protecting Nate and being wounded under heavy fire . The rock itself was scared with bullet marks .

He thought ...Where would you go to find a another woman like her ? She sustained a serious wound and never complained . Zeke threw all the brass into the river , he picked up anything around the rock having to do with the fight . He would come back with a bucket and clean her blood off the rock . This had been her favorite place to come that was peaceful and he wondered if that would change . He could not remove the scars on the rock . he could not bring Hosea back , he could not take her memory of them killing those outlaws , of living afraid and fearing when Hosea did not come back and she was alone , of losing Jenny on the trail ...He could not erase those memories but he would protect and support her best he could .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Wade finished the mush and let it cool a bit . Him and Captain Jack sat Sam up and gently roused him to eat . He cooperated with Wade feeding him then Sam said ...I can do it ...this is embarrassing . Wade gave him the spoon and Sam managed to eat half a bowlful then said he was tired of it . They gave him water and he laid back down on his own . Captain Jack said ...Your doing better Sam , I know your hurting and not thinking good but your better and we are here . Sam said ...Thank you .

They freshened the damp sacks and let him sleep . They were all glad he seemed a little better .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke and Nate checked the poles before leaving for the cabin , there was no need to hunt anymore they had all the meat that would keep . They had two catfish on , about a four and two pound catfish . Zeke told Nate ...Son this is a good day ! We got quail , rabbit and catfish in just a little bit ! The rest of our folks ought to be proud of us !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Sam had gone back to sleep . Wade and Captain Jack were sitting with her and talking . Captain Jack said ...He is a bit better ma'am ! He managed to feed himself some and drank a lot of water . He needs lots of water to help fight the fever . It's hot weather so that makes it a lot harder on him and it's going to be hard with you too ma'am ! You got to take it easy when you get up and moving around ! Your recovering well and it could get septic just like Sam's wound has .

She promised she would slow down....for a while . She talked about Zeke MAKING her slow down after the heat sickness . She talked about them all working together and it was part of them caring for one another . Wade and the Captain agreed . In the fight at the river they all worked together and won when the odds were stacked against them .

Zeke came in and said ...What do ya'll want for supper ? Me and Nate got your choice of rabbit , quail or catfish ! Wade , the Captain and her said ...QUAIL !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

The hominy was still simmering and Wade stirred it then moved it to the side of the fireplace with the coals . He put a short log in to be ready to turn to coals later . Zeke and Captain Jack dressed the quail and rabbit and talking . Zeke saved the quail guts and told Captain Jack he had found they were magic catfish bait . Captain Jack said ...With the heat I bet they will be REAL magic tomorrow !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Captain Jack stayed with Sam and her while Wade and Zeke went behind the shed to start a water trough . Zeke had tried hard to true boards to build one but hadn't been successful . Wade got the planes , draw knifes and tools to do it . He showed Zeke how to square and true a board . He showed him to make a deep chamfer on the board that would be inside the trough to be able to tap cord in as packing to patch any future leaks . They got the sides of the trough finished before supper and Zeke was happy . They got the stock up and watered , it was time to cook supper and rest .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke fried the quail rolling them in flour with salt and pepper . He left the skin on the potatoes cutting them in thin slabs frying them with salt and pepper . The hominy was done so he washed enough to feed everyone . Wade roused Sam and he managed to sit up on his own . Wade sat his plate on the floor between his legs and sat with him eating . Sam said ...Dang ! This is quail ! They all laughed . Sam did pretty good eating and that was encouraging . When they finished Wade and Captain Jack checked Sam's wound and changed the bandages . The swelling was down and it wasn't draining as much , it was a good sign !

Sam laid back down and slept , they put clean damp sacks on him . Wade , her , Zeke and Captain Jack sat and talked till near sundown . Zeke would stay in the cabin tonight so went to bathe in the shed . When he returned they all said goodnight as Zeke got the oil lamp on the table .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke stayed awake most of the night . He sat in the dark at the table thinking about many things . There were many things needed be done . Right now it was him , her and Nate had Wade , Captain Jack and Sam . They were all good friends . They had worked together , fought for their lives together , cared for one another and shared GOD with one another . They were all fast friends .

But the time would come soon that Sam and Captain Jack would leave . They had finished their business and duty as Rangers and they both had families to go back to . Sam and Captain Jack had been a blessing to them but by the barrier of distance they might never see them again . Of coarse they would correspond by mail but just getting to Eliasville to send a letter took time and was dangerous . Hosea was killed coming back from there by a murdering bushwhacker .

When they left Wade would be here but her and Zeke didn't know what his plans were or if he even knew himself . Wade might leave also then it would just be him , her and Nate again . It was going to be a sad day when Captain Jack and Sam left . They would have to see what Wade had on his mind , he was a good friend and they would support him in what he chose .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke woke Sam up twice to give him water and check his wound with the oil lamp . He could sit up on his own and was talking some , the fever seemed better but he was still hot . Zeke kept damp sacks on him .

Near sunup Zeke started breakfast . They would have bacon , rolled oats with sugar and canned milk . Him and Nate needed to check the poles at the river and bring some catfish back for lunch . He would make rabbit and dumplings for supper and there would be enough left for lunch tomorrow . The shotgun was a good investment , he wanted a double barrel twelve gage but the single shot sixteen was the only shotgun anyone wanted to sell in Eliasville and it was working out fine .

Caqptain Jack and wade were putting the stock on grass and she woke up . Zeke got her a cup of coffee and they talked as he fried bacon . She told him she needed to go and he helped her afterward checking her wound with the lamp . He told her ...It's not draining at all ma'am , that's really good ! We will let Wade and Captain Jack look at it . She said ...I want to sit at the table to eat , I am tired of laying here Zeke . Zeke just said again ...We will let them look at the wound and see about you getting up ! Your not going to break that wound open when it's healing up so good . You can get mad at me all you want but I'll not allow you to be foolish and hurt yourself ! She said nothing and laid there . Zeke started putting the oats on the coals and plates on the table . In a bit she said ...I'm not mad at you , I have never been mad at you . You always take care of us . You know I love you .

Zeke walked over to her and hugged her , kissed her head then finished breakfast as Wade and Captain Jack came in and hung their hats asking ...Whats for breakfast !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke got breakfast made and was dishing it up . Captain Jack got Sam's and woke him . Sam said ...I'm not eatin off the floor again ! Captain Jack said ...I'm going to sit with you to eat . Sam said ...NO ! I'll sit at the table if you will help me , I'm going crazy laying here ! Captain Jack looked at Wade and Zeke and they all helped get him on his feet and help him to the table . Sam said ...Zeke could you hand me a cup of coffee ?" Zeke got him a cup .

She said ...Wade ! Can you and Captain Jack look at my side and tell me I can sit at the table ! Captain Jack and Wade looked and both said ...If you let us help you and go slow you can but you will come back to the bed after and not be straining your wound ! She agreed and Zeke and Wade helped her up and to the table , she ate in her gown .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

They all sat and ate . Things seemed better with them all at the table , Sam and her were not well yet ...but it was better . Captain Jack asked Sam what happen when he was following the Comanche and how he got stabbed . Sam still wasn't thinking perfectly but took his time telling that he had been stupid and fell for the trap they set at the water hole . He said he had killed one of the Comanche with his knife and beaten the other half to death . He said the second one had put the knife in his arm . He told how he had hauled and dumped the live one and made them give up their knifes and tried to get back to the cabin .

Captain Jack told him he had done well ! They all knew how close to death Sam had come and it was only due to him being the man he was that he was still alive . They all enjoyed that breakfast together a lot more than usual .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Zeke , Wade and the Captain let her and Sam sit at the table till they were ready to lay down . It did them good to get up and enjoy being together . Captain Jack told Zeke to go get some sleep , Zeke tried to argue but he lost to Captain Jack and Wade . Zeke left to get a little rest while the Captain and Wade cleaned up , did dishes and took care of little things . They changed dressings on her and Sam cleaning the wounds and pulling a bit of wick out of Sam's wound and trimming it off , the weeping was less .

Captain Jack got two empty buckets and started for the well to get water , said he would feed the hens and see if there were any eggs . Wade finished stacking the dried plates and bowls on her work counter and sat down with her . He laid his hand on her head and said ...You are doing so much better ! I want to see you up and going again and you will be soon enough . Please take time and be patient , I know it's hard to be in bed all the time but you are ready to start easing back to normal . I care too much for you to see you hurt any longer than you have to .

She thanked him and told him she would go slow . Captain Jack came in with a bucket of water and about a five foot dead bull snake . He said ...I went to check the hens and heard them making a noise before I got there . I found the snake in with em . We thought the hot weather was keeping them from laying but lookee here . He held it up and the snake had three bulges in his body . Captain Jack said ...Your hens have been laying but this snake has been stealing the eggs ! But he won't anymore .

Wade said ...Glad you caught the thief Captain , Give him to me and I'll pitch him out back . I'm going to work on the 'project' while it's cool ! Captain Jack agreed and Wade left .

She said I want to talk to you Captain .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Captain Jack drug the gun port seat closer to her bed and said ...How can I help you ? He laid his hand on her shoulder to comfort her and continued ...I would claim you as my daughter but Zeke beat me to it ! But Zeke is as solid as they come so that makes me happy !

She said ...Captain you know how much I love you and Sam . I value your opinions and advice ! You are older and smarter than me , though I did the reading and writing Hosea made most of the decisions ...he was smart .

Captain Jack's face drew up and he said ...Stop ! Just stop ! Don't ever tell me your not smart !! Never say that again ! I will not tolerate it from you !...………...You are one of the smartest women I have ever known . You have overcome every obstacle put in your path ! In my mind you are capable of anything . I have seen it with my eyes , I have seen it in your actions . You are honest , you are capable of truly loving others , you work to make things better for many reasons for different people , you work hard and most of all you care . You have a sense of honor without guile which is in emulation of our Lord to whom all honor is due ….And you are smart !

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j »

She was quiet for a time . She reached up with her right hand and put it on his laying on her shoulder and said … Thank you . I can not see myself and will think on what you told me . But the reason I overcame those obstacles were you , Zeke , Sam and Wade and even Nate . I didn't do it alone , I had you all . GOD is working in all our lives .

Captain Jack thought a second and said ...OH LORD ! Now tell me your not smart !!

Return to “Off-Topic”