Looking to get into Sporting Clays / Suggestions?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 3

Looking to get into Sporting Clays / Suggestions?

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I've become interested in sporting clays and am ready to buy a dedicated gun for this. After much research, I think I'd like to get a good used 12 gauge Browning or Beretta over/under. I'm looking for suggestions on where I may go for this purchase. I have looked on gunbroker and texas gun trader. Are there any other sites or shops in the Houston area that may specialize in the sale of used over/under shotguns?

I'd also appreciate any thoughts on the best way to get started and who are some good instructors in the Houston area.

TIA

Tony
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking to get into Sporting Clays / Suggestions?

Post by jason812 »

Since you are in Houston, go by Briley. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Browning Citori 725 or Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon are both great choices, if they fit your eye. I'm in the market for a new O/U skeet gun but I need something with a raised rib so that I'm not seeing too much of the top of the rib. I made the mistake of buying an inexpensive O/U and sold it a few months later. Take some advise and don't go cheap. Let us know when you find something you like.

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

Tony I am glad to see another shooter interested in Sporting Clays. I have been shooting sporting since it came over from England many moons ago and have seen it grow from a somewhat unknown event to what it is today. Living in Houston, you have access to some great courses. Take advantage of them and get a good instructor. The NSCA has three levels of certified instructors. If you are new to sporting you might want to start with a level 1 instructor to get the basics down. As you advance, you can move up the ladder and take advantage of another bit of knowledge. For the last 15 years I have held a private sporting clays shoot and generally have around 150 shooters at the event. It’s interesting to watch some of the same shooters as they progress from not really knowing what they are doing to becoming outstanding shots. All because of a good instructor or two. Just today I received a call from a friend that I had referred to a well-known instructor for some lessons. Heck he was so happy he wouldn’t shut up!! All that being said, I have attached links that might be of interest to you. Best of luck and good shooting to ya!!

http://nsca.nssa-nsca.org/level-1-instructors/
http://nsca.nssa-nsca.org/instructors-2/
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

krieghoff wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:25 pm Tony I am glad to see another shooter interested in Sporting Clays. I have been shooting sporting since it came over from England many moons ago and have seen it grow from a somewh instructor or two.

Member name is appropriate.

Warning, Sporting Clays is addictive!
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

Next you will want to know what brand of atv to buy to drive the course.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

You can also start by looking for local gun shops. Many of them will have used and new shotguns. And someone there will probably also be able to help adjust one you like to fit you if possible.

Good deals can be found at LGSs.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Thanks for all of the advice!

I will definitely go to Briley and look up some instructors.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

berettadave

Post by berettadave »

I see you are in Katy. If you are looking for an instructor, you have some very good ones in your area. I personally would contact Adam Blair at Westside sporting grounds. He is a very good instructor and I'm sure he could help you out. Talk to him about what your goals are and what gun he suggests. If you have never shot sporting much, I would recommend a good semi-auto to start with. They're easier to move than an o/u and a little more forgiving for a beginner imo. I shot a Beretta 391 in competition for 11 years before going to a Blaser o/u. I'm still not sure I can't shoot the 391 better lol.

Krieghoff, I bet we know each other if you've been shooting sporting that long. Were you at nationals last week?

Dave Bishop

Lena

Post by Lena »

I asked the same question when I started shooting Reg Trap, 1st reply was get PT job, shoot 500 targets a week, best practice is a shoot you mentally try harder, guns for SC look hard at a Browning O/U if you stay in it you will probably at one time change guns they are easy to sell, always buy something that other's like also. Keep it stock if possible avoid customs others are selling. I shot Reg Trap close to 30 yrs. Always try to shoot with the best shooters around the very best. Shoot several different places. If you reload I have lots of hulls PM me.
Stay Safe

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

What public sporting clay courses do you guys recommend in the Houston area?

I'm fairly new to sporting clays and have been shooting up in Conroe. But that's just because I knew some people up there. Got NSCA certified so I could be paid in clays for working tournaments. 'Free' clays are great but driving to Conroe to shoot not so much. :lol:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

I shoot with a CZ redhead Premier 12 gauge over-and-under , granted it's not a $3,000 shotgun like the Beretta and Browning but a good quality shotgun that I've had zero issues with. It uses Beretta Benelli chokes which can be purchased in different price ranges. As far as looks the wood is quality Turkish Walnut. I've had many compliments on the gun at Skeet ranges clay shoots and 5 stand ranges
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

berettadave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:39 pm I see you are in Katy. If you are looking for an instructor, you have some very good ones in your area. I personally would contact Adam Blair at Westside sporting grounds. He is a very good instructor and I'm sure he could help you out. Talk to him about what your goals are and what gun he suggests. If you have never shot sporting much, I would recommend a good semi-auto to start with. They're easier to move than an o/u and a little more forgiving for a beginner imo. I shot a Beretta 391 in competition for 11 years before going to a Blaser o/u. I'm still not sure I can't shoot the 391 better lol.

Krieghoff, I bet we know each other if you've been shooting sporting that long. Were you at nationals last week?

Dave Bishop
David you are right on. We do know each other and have shot together from time to time at CCT&S. I will let you keep guessing!! No I wasn't at the Nationals as I spent most of the week working at the ranch.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

berettadave

Post by berettadave »

krieghoff wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:52 am
berettadave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:39 pm I see you are in Katy. If you are looking for an instructor, you have some very good ones in your area. I personally would contact Adam Blair at Westside sporting grounds. He is a very good instructor and I'm sure he could help you out. Talk to him about what your goals are and what gun he suggests. If you have never shot sporting much, I would recommend a good semi-auto to start with. They're easier to move than an o/u and a little more forgiving for a beginner imo. I shot a Beretta 391 in competition for 11 years before going to a Blaser o/u. I'm still not sure I can't shoot the 391 better lol.

Dave Bishop
David you are right on. We do know each other and have shot together from time to time at CCT&S. I will let you keep guessing!! No I wasn't at the Nationals as I spent most of the week working at the ranch.
Aw crap, now you're gonna make me have to think! lol

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”