Maryland’s ‘Red Flag’ Law Turns Deadly: Officer Kills Man Who Refused To Turn In Gun

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Maryland’s ‘Red Flag’ Law Turns Deadly: Officer Kills Man Who Refused To Turn In Gun

Post by puma guy »

I didn't see this posted anywhere. Several states have passed legislation similar to Maryland's whereby gun confiscation results after some sort of reporting by an outside source that bypasses due process for the person being reported. This one turned deadly. I'm not sure why police would pick 5AM in the morning to execute the order. The man's actions doomed him, perhaps he considered it theft by the police if he wasn't familiar with the new law whereby your possessions can be confiscated by police based on someone's word. He was probably confused when he read the Constitution.
“Under the law, family, police, mental health professionals can all ask for the protective orders to remove weapons,” said Sgt. Jacklyn David, with Anne Arundel County Police.
Police continue to investigate the shooting. At this time it’s not clear who called police to alert them about Willis.
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/11/ ... l-county/
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

pushpullpete

Re: Maryland’s ‘Red Flag’ Law Turns Deadly: Officer Kills Man Who Refused To Turn In Gun

Post by pushpullpete »

Not good. This seems like it could become the new "swatting". Wrong, in so many ways.

howdy

Re: Maryland’s ‘Red Flag’ Law Turns Deadly: Officer Kills Man Who Refused To Turn In Gun

Post by howdy »

This will make it even more dangerous to be a Police Officer.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I had the very same concerns when these types of laws were being proposed some time ago. That the laws would be used in a malicious fashion in some cases, and perhaps simply out of spite against someone. My thought was hostile divorce proceedings, in an effort to make one party look "dangerous" so as to win sympathy from the court for the other party. However, I'm sure there are any number of situations that could be concocted to take advantage of such a law, outside of the actual intent of the law.

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

howdy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:22 pm This will make it even more dangerous to be a Police Officer.
Only for mercenaries who enforce unconstitutional laws.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”