Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Can Beto O’Rourke really beat Ted Cruz?

Post by WTR »

John Galt wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:58 pm
Ruark wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:30 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:47 pm Exactly! People who have yet to finish high school, never had a job or any other familial responsibilities and otherwise, don't know Snit from Shinola are allowed to vote.
Absolutely. I think lowering the voting age to 18 was a huge mistake.
Needs to be 25.
Actually you are correct. Look at the insurance actuarry tabled. Rates are lowered at 25. According to science, the brain is not fully mature until about 25 years of age. Young kids just don’t think as well as adults.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 32

Post by mojo84 »

WTR wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:45 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:47 pm Exactly! People who have yet to finish high school, never had a job or any other familial responsibilities and otherwise, don't know Snit from Shinola are allowed to vote.
Needs to be 25.
Actually you are correct. Look at the insurance actuarry tabled. Rates are lowered at 25. According to science, the brain is not fully mature until about 25 years of age. Young kids just don’t think as well as adults.
Do you fellas think someone under 25 it's to immature to own, purchase or possess guns? What about driving or owning vehicles? How about joining the service and going to war with all those dangerous weapons and equipment?

I don't think restricting voting is the answer. The answer is doing a better job educating young people and holding then responsible for their actions and decisions.

As Brad McCoy said, "We have to stop preparing the path for our kids and start preparing our kids for the path."
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Paladin »

Democrats Spend $2.5 BILLION Trying to Buy Blue Wave
“The overall estimated cost of the 2018 election would represent a 35 percent increase over the 2014 cycle in nominal dollars, the largest increase in at least two decades,” the report said....

Interestingly, Democrats are hauling in far more cash from out of state than Republicans.

“In terms of itemized individual contributions, Senate Democrats received 60 percent of their funds — nearly $220 million — from out-of-state donors. Democrats in the House got 45 percent of their funds from out-of-state,” according to the report.
Beto O'Rourke fundraising:
54.41% from Large Individual Contributions (>$200)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

LDB415
Posts in topic: 18

Post by LDB415 »

It was far too close and does not bode well for the future of Texas. If only the last decade's worth of immigrants weren't here with none coming. They come here because it's far better than where they were but then they vote the same as where they came from. And I'll go as far as saying you can only vote for an office when you reach the age to be able to run for that office, with a 25 year old minimum.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

flechero
Posts in topic: 30

Post by flechero »

Paladin wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:32 pm Democrats Spend $2.5 BILLION Trying to Buy Blue Wave
“The overall estimated cost of the 2018 election would represent a 35 percent increase over the 2014 cycle in nominal dollars, the largest increase in at least two decades,” the report said....

Interestingly, Democrats are hauling in far more cash from out of state than Republicans.

“In terms of itemized individual contributions, Senate Democrats received 60 percent of their funds — nearly $220 million — from out-of-state donors. Democrats in the House got 45 percent of their funds from out-of-state,” according to the report.

Not sure I understood the detail... how can UT give $365K? One would think a state school would not be allowed to give away the state tax dollars to support a non school cause?

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Oldgringo »

Liberty wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:23 pm
Needs to be 25.
Maybe, but I remember being 19 facing the draft and joining the army. Being held accountable but not being able to buy beer, vote, or even marry without a parents permission. I was pretty resentful about that. I think the real answer is that we need to actually teach our kids to be grownups and not axpect anything for nothing. There is always a cost.
Exactly; e.g., Bernie Sanders, Maxine Waters, Nancy Pelosi, and the list goes on and on.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

AndyC wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 am Image
I can’t stand Beto’s politics, or his crooked Father , Mother and his own dishonest actions. However, I don’t fault him on his nickname. I have White friends out here which are called Pablo( Paul). Paco ( Frank) Juan ( John ) Chuey (Jessie ) and Gillermo ( William ). That’s not uncommon for some reason. It did play in his favor for the idiots out here who think he is the second coming of JFK.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 14

Post by PriestTheRunner »

WTR wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:45 pm
Needs to be 25.
Personally I would like to see a law that all tobacco, marijuana, alcohol, voting and the draft be legally required to apply at the same age. Be it 18, 21 (my preference) or 25.

There is no reason you should be drafted but not able to vote. There is no reason you should be able to vote but not buy alcohol. Essentially they are all constitutional rights (in the sense that government must recognize the rights of a full-bodied citizen) and should all apply equally, as well as buying firearms.

Most people forget but students and minors have several parts of the BOR curtailed for them (free speech, to some extend, freedom of association, to some extent, due process, to some extent). Once a minor become "not a minor" or a full-fledged citizen or legal person in our country, they need to have all the rights and responsibilities that entails. Don't pick and choose based on whats convenient for that voting year.

If you are not mature enough to buy a pistol and carry until you are 21, then you are not mature enough to vote. Make all ages requirements the same...

DEB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DEB »

I think one should have skin in the game. They must have a full time job, not a student of any stripe, and they must have an abode that is in their name, as well as all of the services associated with living in said abode, this can be as part of a marriage or some similarity. Not living with their parents, but on their own and making their own way. Soldiers in barracks, sailors on ship, those living in bunkhouses and etc can be determined to be living in their own abode. I just want folks to have skin in the game, where they are actually living their lives with some sort of fear and trepidation that things could go south in an instant. Then they can vote. At least if they vote communist I can believe that maybe, they at least thought about it and didn't just follow their professor's thoughts/feelings or they didn't just vote for their own stomachs to insure they continue to get a free loaf of bread every day.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

mayor

Post by mayor »

Since this thread was hijacked long ago, my .02:

I think "adult rights" should be awarded only after someone has served honorably in the armed forces. Service has an tendency to change one's point of view. But the government shouldn't be allowed to rush willy-nilly into any old conflict.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 4

Post by srothstein »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:57 amPersonally I would like to see a law that all tobacco, marijuana, alcohol, voting and the draft be legally required to apply at the same age. Be it 18, 21 (my preference) or 25.
I agree and want it taken a step further. I want a constitutional amendment that states that the age of majority is the same age for all actions. Whatever we decide that age is, it applies to everything including voting, buying anything, signing contracts, getting married, and consenting to sex. This would also apply for such things as going to jail or juvenile detention. You are either an adult or not.

I understand the current science does say that the part of the brain that is responsible for judgment is not fully developed until approximately 25. I believe we are artificially delaying our children from developing judgment by protecting them from consequences when they are younger and excusing things based on their age. I will accept almost any age for the cutoff though, whether it is 18, 21, or 25 or something else. It does not have to be what science says is fully developed, though I would argue that it must be high enough to have the brain start developing in that area.

I will point out that a long time ago, there was a general consensus that you were an adult when you said you were and adult and starting working at an adult's job and took the responsibility of being an adult. This is how we had so many underage enlistees in the military during and prior to WWII. There is something to be said for not penalizing the 15 year old genius for the actions of the 21 yer old idiot. I just cannot figure out how the law can be written for this so a single line should be drawn.
Steve Rothstein

rotor
Posts in topic: 8

Post by rotor »

mayor wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:47 pm Since this thread was hijacked long ago, my .02:

I think "adult rights" should be awarded only after someone has served honorably in the armed forces. Service has an tendency to change one's point of view. But the government shouldn't be allowed to rush willy-nilly into any old conflict.
This! Only 3% of the population has served. I think that a mandatory service for men and women would be a great character enhancement for all. No politician should be able to run for office unless they have served unless they have been physically limited like Abbott. Universal draft and no out for those with family pull.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

mayor wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:47 pm Since this thread was hijacked long ago, my .02:

I read R. A. Heilein's "Starship Troopers" and then joined the army.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

mayor

Post by mayor »

oljames3 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:33 pm

I read R. A. Heilein's "Starship Troopers" and then joined the army.
Me too, and I thought it is a great idea when I did read it. I didn't read it until long after I'd been discharged.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Paladin »

flechero wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:34 am
Paladin wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:32 pm Democrats Spend $2.5 BILLION Trying to Buy Blue Wave

Not sure I understood the detail... how can UT give $365K? One would think a state school would not be allowed to give away the state tax dollars to support a non school cause?
The organizations themselves did not donate, rather the money came from the organizations' PACs, their individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families. Organization totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.
From what I understand the school did not give him the money, but a lot of people from the school did.

The fact that Google (Alphabet, INC) was #2 at $227K is worse in my opinion.

Not the first time Google meddled in elections: Dr. Robert Epstein says Google helped shift 2 to 3 million votes in Hillary Clinton's favor with bias search algorithms. Big Tech censorship is election meddling.

Robert Epstein’s Midterm Warning: Big Tech Can ‘Shift Upwards of 12 Million Votes in November’
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”