Shotgun suggestions

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TexanVeteran
Posts in topic: 2

Shotgun suggestions

Post by TexanVeteran »

As I have recently gotten into guns, I have also recently become interested in hunting. I have never been hunting before, and I don't have a truck. So, I will be starting with small game (squirrels, rabies, etc).

What kind of shotgun(s) do you recommend for a novice hunter?

My pistol is a Ruger and I love it. My brother had a Remington shotgun and he likes it, but I would like to hear y'all's thoughts as well. Thanks.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shotgun suggestions

Post by Jusme »

I am a fan of Mossberg shotguns. The model 500 pump, is a dual use gun for me. I got the Combo, which has a 28" barrel, that I use for hunting, and an 18" barrel, that I use for home defense. I really like the safety, being located on top of the Tang, which makes easier to locate, in the dark, and makes it truly abidextrious. They are very modestly priced, for just starting out, you can usually find the combo, for right around $400. The 590, is also a good option in a pump shotgun.
If you are only looking for a hunting shotgun, take a look at the Mossberg, 930 or 935 semi auto.

Shotguns, are like any other gun, in that, some "fit" different people differently. You will get, several opinions, from others, but, if you can try different guns, you will be be able to make a better decision, on what works best for you. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I personally shoot a Remington 870 express super mag. That’s still my favorite shotgun and I shoot it well. Built like an absolute tank and Uber reliable. Although my shotgun was made by the old Remington before they sold out a few years ago and I have nocticed a decline in their quality compared to mine since then. If I had to go buy a brand new shotgun right now I would buy the mossberg 590 pump. From what I hear the new 870’s are still decent and so are the mossberg 500’s.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

For a pump, either the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500... whichever one you like and fits the best when you bring it to your shoulder. If your budget is a little tight, take a look at the Maverick 88. Made by Mossberg, very similar to the 500. Inexpensive and can be used as a canoe paddle in a pinch!

If you want an semi-auto, I really like the Beretta A300 Outlander for a lower cost semi auto. Several years ago when they first came out, I bought one for my son, we shot a round of skeet with it, and I went back and bought myself one. Fits me well and when I shoulder it, I'm looking right along the barrel, not down onto it.

The Franchi Affinity and the Weatherby SA-O8 are two other less expensive semi auto models worth looking at.

If you want an over and under, the Beretta 686 or the Browning Citori is a good place to start.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

While I would not hesitate to get any of the above mentioned SGs, I have my own suggestion.

Benelli Nova Pump

This is a gun that when I take to the range for Trap, everyone wants to shoot it. Beginners are especially good with this, and I suspect that it is due in part to the Comfort Pad that I installed on it which minimizes the kick.
This SG has never failed me with any load or condition, in the 20+ years I have owned it. And it still looks new, except for the slide wear on the pump.

I never hesitate to suggest this if your budget fits.
~Bill

dlh

Post by dlh »

I second the Mossberg 500. I keep mine loaded with no. 4 game load--does a decent job on any stray raccoons around the house.

I also have the Mossberg 590--it is built like a tank and weighs like one too. :)

If you are just hunting rabbits and squirrel then check out the Harrington Richardson single-shot shotguns at your local pawn-shops. Should be able to get one just north or south of a hundred bucks. They are very light-weight and dependable.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

For pumps, look at the offerings from Benelli, Remington, Mossberg, and Winchester. They will all be reliable and one may feel better to you than the rest. Weight will vary between the different brands as some use aluminum receivers and others steel. You won't wear either one out, its just a preference.

Depending on your budget, you might also want to look at a Yildiz over/under. They are decent guns for the money and my brother's 20 ga weighs about 5lbs or less. For a O/U or single shot, I would say get a 20ga. I think the hardest kicking gun I have ever shot was a single shot 12ga.

Since your are just getting started, I wouldn't recommend a semi auto. It's crazy to think that the gun I paid the most for is a semi auto 12ga.

Also, as tempting as it may be, try to shoot shells that are a step above the Winchester white box that you see in Wal-Mart for super cheap. I'm not sure how they are now but I know in years past they have been blamed for many ejector and extractor problems.

Looking in Pawn shops is a good idea. You can find gently used or not used at all guns for decent prices sometimes.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Back in 1989 I bought a Mossberg 500A kit with both bbls and a pistol grip & full stock for $219 at Service Merchandise :lol:

As a lefty, I went with the Mossberg (because of the safety location) Over the next 15 or so years of shooting skeet, trap & clays when I wasn't dove, quail, pheasant, turkey or deer hunting,(and hundreds of CASES of shells later) I was the only one of our group that had never experienced a failure of any kind... Which was great because they all razzed me constantly for having the "cheap" gun.

Other than a less expensive gun that works great, here is why I'm a fan of Mossberg:

I later I noticed a hairline crack in the firing pin housing... I called up to buy a new part and was told that was only a factory replacement part... They sent me a fedex label (even though it was many years out of warranty) and I reluctantly I sent them the gun and enclosed a note telling them about the story above. (just hoping to get the part for free) The following week a brand new gun showed up with my serial number on it. There was also a note enclosed... Dear flechero, Thank you for your patronage and loyalty as a Mossberg customer. With the obvious usage and 10's of thousands of rounds your gun had seen, and the fact that it had been well cared for, we felt it more appropriate to replace the gun than just replace a part. If you ever need to replace this one, we hope you will once again choose a Mossberg.

:woohoo :thumbs2:

There are lots of good shotguns out there. I think everyone should start with a pump, and later change if another gun, better suits your needs. Then the pump can be relegated to other duty or a back up.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Pump, over-under, semi-auto. Decisions. I have all three and all are 12 g. I Did have an old bolt action but got rid of it.
I personally would stay away from Yildiz o-u. They are only sold via Academy and service is less than ideal. Browning Citori for trap and skeet but heavy and kick.
Auto- Something that will handle magnum 3 1/2 " shells. Remington Versa Max is a mild kicker and handles anything. Something lighter, Beretta A400 Xcel (3").

Pump, I like the Mossbergs. For home defense I have a Maverick 88 in 18" barrel. I use #4 buck at home and double 00 buck in the field. For less than $200 it is one great gun and you can get longer barrels. I would never want to be on the receiving end of that gun with #4 buck. Mossberg makes more refined shotguns but the Maverick is no slouch.

Basically though you have to try each one to see how it fits. I think if I could only have one I would stick with the Versa Max. Never fails me and really a light kicker and will handle any task.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I remember when the answer to this question was usually the Remington 1100. I miss the old days. :coolgleamA:

Lena

Post by Lena »

Probably 5-6 people have shot my FN SLP in 3 gun now all but 2 have one themselves
Stay Safe

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

TexanVeteran wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:46 am As I have recently gotten into guns, I have also recently become interested in hunting. I have never been hunting before, and I don't have a truck. So, I will be starting with small game (squirrels, rabies, etc).

What kind of shotgun(s) do you recommend for a novice hunter?

My pistol is a Ruger and I love it. My brother had a Remington shotgun and he likes it, but I would like to hear y'all's thoughts as well. Thanks.
Not sure why you would hunt for rabies. :mrgreen:

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:18 pm I remember when the answer to this question was usually the Remington 1100. I miss the old days. :coolgleamA:
:iagree: and that is still the best answer IMHO.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:43 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:18 pm I remember when the answer to this question was usually the Remington 1100. I miss the old days. :coolgleamA:
If you have the $, it's hard to argue with the 1100. I also like the Ithica 37 for a pump.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:43 pm
Absolutely, if you are right handed, well budgeted and it fits you! :lol:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”