Happy Hanukkah

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Happy Hanukkah

Post by Beiruty »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:32 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:55 pm
Redneck_Buddha wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm
Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:34 pm Come to Dallas. I will take you out for the best Kosher bar-b-cue!
I live in DFW. Where pray-tell is this Kosher BBQ? :)
https://kosherpalatetx.com/

Kosher Palate
7989 Belt Line Road, Suite 154, Dallas, Texas 75248, United States
(469) 601-1002

And they are CHL friendly!
No Pulled Pork? What? :lol: :lol:
We offer Pulled Lamb Legs at you next Halall (Kosher) Resto
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:34 pm Come to Dallas. I will take you out for the best Kosher bar-b-cue!
Thanks for the offer Bitter Clinger but i'm too far away. Its been 35 years since i have been to Dallas. Only been there twice when i had a couple of friends living there back then in the Calinas area. I think thats what it was called.

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:43 pm
Take Down Sicko wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:42 pm Happy Hanuka my friends. I wish i had some Jewish friends so i could eat some homemade matzo ball soup, rugelach and sufganiyot and other tasty stuff. :angel: :seeya:
Maneshewitz makes a pretty decent Matzoh ball soup in a box. You can probably find it at your local grocery store. Very easy to make... Just need to be patient about letting the matzo mix set up for a short while before making balls, AND, don't roll them too tight or they'll come out hard in the middle.

The Lipton version isn't as good, but still isn't bad.

I like to add some small noodles to mine. Rice isn't bad either. Wife likes to add leftover chicken (pulled, never sliced), but I don't like chicken. If you're into Asian Fusion, I like to add some sliced Kamaboko fish cake as well.

LOL.
Thanks for the info RoyGBiv. If i find it at Kroger when i go i will get a box to try my hand at making it. However, i'm thinking they'll look more like flap jacks when get through with them since i'm not much of a cook.

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MaduroBU »

It's a huge error to assume that someone keeps kosher because they're Jewish. A Jewish friend turned me on to chocolate with bacon in it (which is amazing).

rotor

Post by rotor »

MaduroBU wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:29 pm It's a huge error to assume that someone keeps kosher because they're Jewish. A Jewish friend turned me on to chocolate with bacon in it (which is amazing).
Very true. My grandmother kept a kosher house for my grandfather but she and the rest of us were spoiled and had non-kosher as well as kosher foods. Grandma kept three sets of dishes in order to do this. And during WWII all of the bacon grease was saved for the war effort. Not sure what the military did with it but we did our share.

Interestingly enough, where I live the only place to really get kosher products were at a Lebanese grocery. Not meat but packaged kosher foods.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bitter Clinger »

MaduroBU wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:29 pm It's a huge error to assume that someone keeps kosher because they're Jewish. A Jewish friend turned me on to chocolate with bacon in it (which is amazing).
Kashrut (practice of keeping Kosher) is not well understood. The animals that are considered Kosher in the Bible are by and large vegetarian and do not eat of dead flesh. The separation between life and death, good and evil is fundamental to the practice of Judiasm. I am certain that chocolate and bacon is awesome, and I am equally certain that I will not intentionally partake.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

rotor wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:10 pm
Very true. My grandmother kept a kosher house for my grandfather but she and the rest of us were spoiled and had non-kosher as well as kosher foods. Grandma kept three sets of dishes in order to do this. And during WWII all of the bacon grease was saved for the war effort. Not sure what the military did with it but we did our share.

Interestingly enough, where I live the only place to really get kosher products were at a Lebanese grocery. Not meat but packaged kosher foods.

The reasons for the multiple sets of dishes is not for kosher/non-kosher, but maybe your grandma used them that way. It is to ensure that meat and dairy products are not eaten or stored on the same dish. This was done in ancient times for health/sanitary reasons, as cleaning/washing were minimal at best. My Grandma did this and that's where I learned "milchadech" and "flechadech" from her in Yiddish.

rotor

Post by rotor »

G26ster wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 pm The reasons for the multiple sets of dishes is not for kosher/non-kosher, but maybe your grandma used them that way. It is to ensure that meat and dairy products are not eaten or stored on the same dish. This was done in ancient times for health/sanitary reasons, as cleaning/washing were minimal at best. My Grandma did this and that's where I learned "milchadech" and "flechadech" from her in Yiddish.
Kosher, non kosher and Passover.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

G26ster wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:03 pm Having grown up in NYC on "Lawn Giland," in a Jewish family, there were two fabulous Jewish Delis in my neighborhood. Alas, that was the '50s and they are gone now. Are there any true Jewish Delis anywhere in the DFW area? I'd pay big money for a big fat potato knish, and a "real" hot pastrami on rye :mrgreen:
Not a deli, but there was a kosher butcher in the Tom Thumb by UTD. They had knishes and similar foods most of the times I was in there. Good salami, which is what I went for.

As an aside, it is the only place I have ever seen a shelf of kosher sushi being sold.
Steve Rothstein

kayt00
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kayt00 »

rotor wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Slightly off topic but the bacon grease was stabilized, filtered, then used as a machining lube. I worked in a machine shop in Utah that had pallets of the stuff and we used for drilling, milling and turning everything from aluminum, to stainless, and high carbon steels.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

G26ster wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:03 pm Having grown up in NYC on "Lawn Giland," in a Jewish family, there were two fabulous Jewish Delis in my neighborhood. Alas, that was the '50s and they are gone now. Are there any true Jewish Delis anywhere in the DFW area? I'd pay big money for a big fat potato knish, and a "real" hot pastrami on rye :mrgreen:
Deli news on Preston rd, near the galleria mall is what you seek my friend.

-surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Deli News:
17062 Preston Rd #100, Dallas, TX 75248
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Kenny and Ziggy's in Houston is amazing (has been called the best deli in Texas and is quietly killing Katz's, which is sad). They have a ton of Kosher options, but literally half of their sandwiches have cheese on them for all the goyim. They still don't do pork, but I just assume that they source their meat from the small number of kosher suppliers in the Northeast that everyone uses.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:38 pm
Kashrut (practice of keeping Kosher) is not well understood. The animals that are considered Kosher in the Bible are by and large vegetarian and do not eat of dead flesh. The separation between life and death, good and evil is fundamental to the practice of Judiasm. I am certain that chocolate and bacon is awesome, and I am equally certain that I will not intentionally partake.
It also made a huge difference in public health. Neurocysticercosis is still the LEADING cause of seizures in most of the world and is only really unknown in the West in modern times. Completely avoiding pigs was really the only way to avoid that disease in the ancient world, as the parasite's life cycle involves pigs and humans and actually only causes the awful form of disease in humans if you consume contaminated human feces (which is still prevalent in the age of hand santizer...people are filthy). You can't just cook your food well- you have to trust your entire city/village to do so as well.

Likewise, rabbits still carry Tularemia. I just assume that camels and rock badgers are filthy creatures that one wouldn't eat regardless.
Last edited by MaduroBU on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bitter Clinger »

MaduroBU wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:24 am
Bitter Clinger wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:38 pm
It also made a huge difference in public health. Neurocysticercosis is still the LEADING cause of seizures in most of the world and is only really unknown in the West in modern times. Completely avoiding pigs was really the only way to avoid that disease in the ancient world, as the parasite's life cycle involves pigs and humans and actually only causes the awful form of disease in humans if you consume contaminated human feces (which is still prevalent in the age of hand santizer...people are filthy). You can't just cook your food well- you have to trust your entire city/village to do so as well.
True. True. Unrelated.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Off-Topic”