Dick's Sporting Goods

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Dick's Sporting Goods

Post by rotor »

The Wall Street Journal yesterday had an article about Dick's Sporting Goods specifically noting that Dick's just had their 5th consecutive quarter of declines and mentions that they "paid a price" for it's treatment of "gun enthusiasts" in their February decision to raise the age of gun purchases to 21 and their dropping "assault style" guns.

I bring this up to show that "gun enthusiasts" (really just people that believe in the constitution) can with the proper use of their dollars make a difference. Hopefully other companies are noting the ripple effect that Dick's decision has on the bottom line.

Grundy1133

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods

Post by Grundy1133 »

true story. i was in prosper the other day and i saw a brand new dicks and i was just like it doesnt matter how much you try to expand if you treat your customer base like fodder, your profits will be reflected accordingly. Also I saw a "Field & Stream" store right next to it and was gonna go in until i thought wait a minute... and googled it and turns out dicks is owned by field and stream. so remember if you go into field an dstream youre essentially going into a dicks store.
NRA Member

BSHII

Post by BSHII »

There is a Dick’s near my house, and it is the only substantial gun store within 10 miles. Even so, 8’ve cheated and shopped there only once since February. I needed some ammo and bought their Field and Stream brand .45 because it was on sale.

Every 4th round of that Bosnian crap has a light primer strike then fails to extract from my Glock 21 so that I almost need the jaws of life to extract the live, dented-primer cartridge while praying it doesn’t go off in my face. So I have been duly chastised for my moment of weakness and will never shop there again

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

BSHII wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:09 pm There is a Dick’s near my house, and it is the only substantial gun store within 10 miles. Even so, 8’ve cheated and shopped there only once since February. I needed some ammo and bought their Field and Stream brand .45 because it was on sale.

Every 4th round of that Bosnian crap has a light primer strike then fails to extract from my Glock 21 so that I almost need the jaws of life to extract the live, dented-primer cartridge while praying it doesn’t go off in my face. So I have been duly chastised for my moment of weakness and will never shop there again
Say three Jeff Coopers, one Elmer Keith, go forth and sin no more my child.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Not a Dick's anywhere close here and I never heard of a Field and Stream store. Dick's has never got a dime from me and neither of these ever will.
In 5 years may they go the way of Stuckey's, T G & Y, Woolco, and now Sears.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

Two Dick's sporting stores within driving distance of me. I have been in one of them early on before their "gun stance". Well over priced and not that good of a selection. So not shopping there is very easy for me. I agree with 'longtooth" I doubt they will last unless they change their ways

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

puma guy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:15 pmSay three Jeff Coopers, one Elmer Keith, go forth and sin no more my child.
Coke Zero.... Everywhere. :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

And now Dicks is pulling all guns and hunting gear from 125 of their 729 stores... Guess they realize we won't buy from them.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying ... 125-stores
Ron
NRA Member

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

More good news (though sorry to link to Bloomberg): EDITED to add a non Bloomberg link at bottom:

Dick’s estimates the policy change cost the company about $150 million in lost sales, an amount equivalent to 1.7 percent of annual revenue.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... es-by-150m

Of course their CEO thinks it is worth it to drive away their customers and that they are betting on other sports as their business model.

And to top it off, their CEO recently joined the business council of Everytown for Gun Safety, a non-profit that advocates for gun control. (Everytown was founded by Michael Bloomberg, owner of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP.)

Here's a non Bloomberg link: https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/29/dick ... gun-sales/
Ron
NRA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”