Cannon Gun Safe Won't Open: Update

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 14

Cannon Gun Safe Won't Open: Update

Post by puma guy »

I have a Cannon American Eagle gun safe with a dial combination that suddenly will not open. Anyone ever have this problem? It's about 12-14 years old and I recall reading in the manual that you might have to try one number off the original combination due to wear, but even when I try that with plus or minus one digit it will not catch on the opening point on the dial. If I can't get it open what are the alternatives? I assume drilling out would ruin the safe.
Last edited by puma guy on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Cannon Gun Safe Won't Open

Post by ELB »

A locksmith can drill the safe lock then replace the lock and repair the drilling damage so the safe is not ruined, ..but not for free. :)

He may have a few other tricks up his sleeve before drilling.

Look for someone who is member of Safe and Vault Technician’s Association or National Safeman’s Organization
USAF 1982-2005

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

That stinks! Hopefully you didn't have everything in that safe :shock: Let us know how you end up taking care of this.

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

I have an electronic lock but this may help from another internet poster

"Quick follow up...so last night I took a 4 foot 4x4 and ratcheted it down in 3 places on the edge of the door." Apparently relieved pressure that was locking the door. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/sho ... p?t=641113

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Post by crazy2medic »

I guess nitro and dynamite is outta the question?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

rotor wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:44 pm I have an electronic lock but this may help from another internet poster

"Quick follow up...so last night I took a 4 foot 4x4 and ratcheted it down in 3 places on the edge of the door." Apparently relieved pressure that was locking the door. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/sho ... p?t=641113
The dial is supposed to load up at zero and then you continue turning turn to 90 where it stops to release the lock to be able to open the door. The dial doesn't laod up then catch at 90 to release the lever that allow wheeling the handle to open the bolts.
Last edited by puma guy on Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 pm I have a Cannon American Eagle gun safe with a dial combination that suddenly will not open. Anyone ever have this problem? It's about 12-14 years old and I recall reading in the manual that you might have to try one number off the original combination due to wear, but even when I try that with plus or minus one digit it will not catch on the opening point on the dial. If I can't get it open what are the alternatives? I assume drilling out would ruin the safe.
Sorry to hear about your predicament. I suggest going to the Cannon website and contacting them first. Take a picture of your safe and any information you have about the particular model you have. They can point you
in the right direction.

A few years ago I had a similar problem. I ended up using Liberty Locksmith in League City. They ended up having to drill the safe to get it open. it took them several hours to get it open [actually made me feel a bit more secure.
They repaired the lock and reset the combination. They had to order a couple of replacement parts, but it was very quick. I don't remember how much they charged, but I would recommend that you give them a call. Again having photographs and other info will help them give you an estimate.

If you need any other info send me a PM.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:48 pm
rotor wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:44 pm I have an electronic lock but this may help from another internet poster

The dial is supposed to load up at zero and then you continue turning turn to 90 to release the lock to be able to open the door. The dial will not release the lever to allow wheeling the bolts.
My safes have marks on the dial and you have to go a couple clicks further to unlatch and release the bolts.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:51 pm

The dial is supposed to load up at zero and then you continue turning turn to 90 to release the lock to be able to open the door. The dial will not release the lever to allow wheeling the bolts.
My safes have marks on the dial and you have to go a couple clicks further to unlatch and release the bolts.
Thanks, Bill. I have gone to Cannons website but there's no help there. I have their phone number and my serial number for the safe and the . I don't know the model because I put all the paperwork in the safe..... you know for safe keeping. LOL! The dial will not load up and stop at the point that let's you open the lugs with the spoked wheel.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks, Bill. I have gone to Cannons website but there's no help there. I have their phone number and my serial number for the safe and the . I don't know the model because I put all the paperwork in the safe..... you know for safe keeping. LOL! The dial will not load up and stop at the point that let's you open the lugs with the spoked wheel.
Yeah you probably have a copy of your combination locked in the safe too. ;)
If you have the serial number Cannon should have a record of the model number.
Did you give the spoked wheel and dial a good whack with the 4X4 in case there is something stuck or catching? ;)
I can't tell from your post if you have an electric lock. Mine do not.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:33 pm
puma guy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:12 pm

Yeah you probably have a copy of your combination locked in the safe too. ;)
If you have the serial number Cannon should have a record of the model number.
Did you give the spoked wheel and dial a good whack with the 4X4 in case there is something stuck or catching? ;)
I can't tell from your post if you have an electric lock. Mine do not.
I used a whacking method I found on the internet for dial combinations. Didn't work.

Flyincowboy

Post by Flyincowboy »

I have the same safe. It used to have the mechanical dial. I always had a difficult time with opening it. I would always just lock the dial and use the key. Well the keys got lost and I called Cannon they said they no longer make the keys and to call a lock Smith. They also sent me a free Electronic lock system for me to have installed on the safe. When I had a lock smith come out to pick the key and install the new lock he had a very difficult tile working he combination. Upon getting the locking mechanism out he said that it was a very cheap made mechanism and it was not adjusted right for the numbers to align up properly. He tried to adjust it to make it work properly and was unable. Have not had any issues since installing the Electronic lock.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Flyincowboy wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:50 pm I have the same safe. It used to have the mechanical dial. I always had a difficult time with opening it. I would always just lock the dial and use the key. Well the keys got lost and I called Cannon they said they no longer make the keys and to call a lock Smith. They also sent me a free Electronic lock system for me to have installed on the safe. When I had a lock smith come out to pick the key and install the new lock he had a very difficult tile working he combination. Upon getting the locking mechanism out he said that it was a very cheap made mechanism and it was not adjusted right for the numbers to align up properly. He tried to adjust it to make it work properly and was unable. Have not had any issues since installing the Electronic lock.
I used the key a lot as you do because it has acted weirdly before, but I always though it was because I was not careful to perfectly dail the combination. The last time I closed it I was going out of town, so I took the key out closed it and spun the dial. I can't call them tomorrow because I'll be out of town again, so it'll have to wait until Thursday.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I had the opposite issue with my Cannon safe. It wouldn't lock. Very inconvenient timing, too as I was on my way out the door to take my wife to her birthday dinner. I put my Shockwave in the safe and went to lock it, but the wheel just spinned freely and wouldn't catch. Since we were leaving our kids with a babysitter, having the safe unlocked was out of the question. I ended up having to transfer all my long guns and various valuables to a closet that had a lock. Among other things, this let my wife see exactly how many rifles I have (which is never a good thing).

I called Cannon and they were able to identify the lock type by the arrangement of the numbers (electronic keypad). They sent me a replacement mechanism and instructions to complete the replacement for free. I then thought, "let me change the battery first to make sure I'm not just being stupid". I was. And I have a spare locking mechanism in a box somewhere as a result.

Call Cannon. If you get a good agent on the phone, they should be able to figure out your lock type somehow.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”