PSA: Be careful driving in inclement weather

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

PSA: Be careful driving in inclement weather

Post by Grundy1133 »

So today at 5:22am I was getting on the entrance ramp to get onto I-35 E to go to work. I proceeded to hydroplane across 2 lanes of traffic and hit the median. long story short I'm ok. my truck not so much... Remember folks, when its wet out you cant always see the water pooled up on the road and hydroplaning can happen anytime and to anyone. luckily for me I didnt hit anyone else and I wasn't hurt. I'll be spending the day today looking for a new vehicle instead of being at work... Be careful out there folks!
NRA Member

flechero

Re: PSA: Be careful driving in inclement weather

Post by flechero »

I had to take a neighbor to the Dr about 40 miles south of me yesterday... 35 between temple and round rock was littered with vehicles in the ditch and a number of them with fire/ems at the medians. It was a mess. Glad you are ok!

strogg

Post by strogg »

I'm happy Grundy walked away from that in one piece. Others may not be that lucky.

PSA Part 2: Don't forget to keep up your vehicle maintenance as well.

-- Don't skimp out on tires. Cheap tires or balding tires will dramatically decrease your grip on a wet road.
-- Make sure your suspension is maintained. You may have awesome tires, but bad shocks or bushings or whatnot WILL make your car drift all over the road for seemingly no reason even if the car feels stable.
-- If you have big tires, make sure you pay attention to wheel balance. The bigger the tire, the less likely it is to be balanced from the factory. Tires aren't guaranteed to stay in one place after installation, so as the tire rotates around the wheel, it will throw off the balance. Typically you'd feel it. If you do, get them back to the shop you got the tires from to rebalance them. They'll typically do it for free, and it should only take a few minutes.

mayor

Post by mayor »

Yep, you have to be alert and drive with both hands on the wheel. When it's icy, I don't try to go in. I'm not at work, but at least I'm not at work AND have a busted vehicle at worst or a towing fee at best. Be safe. Glad you weren't injured.

DocV

Post by DocV »

I am sorry about your accident but am happy you are okay.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Low tire pressure can also cause hydroplaning. In cold weather low pressure is more common. Good tires and proper pressure is important. Glad you are okay.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Umm...slow down? :rules:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Grundy1133 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:35 am So today at 5:22am I was getting on the entrance ramp to get onto I-35 E to go to work. I proceeded to hydroplane across 2 lanes of traffic and hit the median. long story short I'm ok. my truck not so much... Remember folks, when its wet out you cant always see the water pooled up on the road and hydroplaning can happen anytime and to anyone. luckily for me I didnt hit anyone else and I wasn't hurt. I'll be spending the day today looking for a new vehicle instead of being at work... Be careful out there folks!
This is important in the very rural areas of Deep East Texas too. We canceled our Wednesday evening service at the church I pastor due to water, water everywhere. Little community of Beulah 9 miles out of the thriving metropolis of Diboll, Texas. Water gets completely over the road in about 3 different places on 2 Farm Roads going to the church. One of those has to be closed sometimes. (Not last evening though)
Thank you Lord Grundy was not hurt.
Thank several of you for the reminders concerning tires. 1st in importance is will it start. After that #2 I think is tires. :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Watch out for flying deer too!
2F7A3ADB-C3F4-425D-8EBB-22CCD936B602.jpeg

Return to “Off-Topic”