Question: Chief Law Enforcement Office for NFA FORM 4 Notification

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
QB
Posts in topic: 6

Question: Chief Law Enforcement Office for NFA FORM 4 Notification

Post by QB »

I now live in Carrollton, TX (Denton County). I will call the Carrollton Police Department tomorrow but thought I'd ask here: has anyone that lives in Carrollton/Denton County submitted a FORM 4 and if so, who did you use as the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (and address)? Based on the below definition, I "assume" I can use the Carrollton Chief of Police? But I am not sure who has "jurisdiction" over my location (Carrollton, Denton County).

Thanks

Each responsible person must provide a notification on this form of the proposed making or acquisition of an NFA firearm to his/her chief law enforcement officer having jurisdiction where the responsible person is located. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Question: Chief Law Enforcement Office for NFA FORM 4 Notification

Post by ScottDLS »

QB wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 pm I now live in Carrollton, TX (Denton County). I will call the Carrollton Police Department tomorrow but thought I'd ask here: has anyone that lives in Carrollton/Denton County submitted a FORM 4 and if so, who did you use as the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (and address)? Based on the below definition, I "assume" I can use the Carrollton Chief of Police? But I am not sure who has "jurisdiction" over my location (Carrollton, Denton County).

Thanks

Each responsible person must provide a notification on this form of the proposed making or acquisition of an NFA firearm to his/her chief law enforcement officer having jurisdiction where the responsible person is located. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.

Denton County Sheriff will work.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

I wouldn't tell the Carrollton Police department or Chief anything.

Denton County Sheriff for sure.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SigM4 »

C-dub wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:23 pm I wouldn't tell the Carrollton Police department or Chief anything.

Denton County Sheriff for sure.
This
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
QB

Post by QB »

Well Carrollton PD fingerprinted me and my trust members but I will send the notification paperwork to the Denton Sheriff as recommended. The new changes to the application certainly made the trust route more cumbersome!!! Thanks for your responses, I want to get the paperwork turned in Wednesday.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I used Garland Police Chief and my SBR went through just fine. It's just a notice not a form they need to do anything with. So doesn't really matter.
NRA Benefactor Member

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

I would pick the agency most likely to sign off.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

mrvmax wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 am I would pick the agency most likely to sign off.
Agencies don't sign off any more. They are simply notified, by mailing a copy of the form.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I believe that by State Law that the county sheriff is considered the Chief Law Enforcement officer. I live in Houston Area and as much as HPD chief hates to admit it, The County Sheriff has jurisdiction inside the City/ies, if they choose to do so.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
QB

Post by QB »

I jus try completed my forms and used the Denton County Sheriff.....thanks for all the replies. And yes, it's just a notification, something I didn't have to do before the changes that went into effect (I have a trust).

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

twomillenium wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:31 am I believe that by State Law that the county sheriff is considered the Chief Law Enforcement officer. I live in Houston Area and as much as HPD chief hates to admit it, The County Sheriff has jurisdiction inside the City/ies, if they choose to do so.
For the ATF they have their own regulations. Direct from the ATF website, "The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police, State or local district attorney or prosecutor."
NRA Benefactor Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

QB wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:09 am I jus try completed my forms and used the Denton County Sheriff.....thanks for all the replies. And yes, it's just a notification, something I didn't have to do before the changes that went into effect (I have a trust).
That’s interesting. I didn’t realize that a trust allowed someone to circumvent having LE sign off on this before. And here I thought these changes only requiring notification were going to make these things easier.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

ScottDLS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:12 am
mrvmax wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 am I would pick the agency most likely to sign off.
Agencies don't sign off any more. They are simply notified, by mailing a copy of the form.
It’s been too long since I got mine, I forgot about all the changes.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Jago668 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:39 pm
twomillenium wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:31 am I believe that by State Law that the county sheriff is considered the Chief Law Enforcement officer. I live in Houston Area and as much as HPD chief hates to admit it, The County Sheriff has jurisdiction inside the City/ies, if they choose to do so.
For the ATF they have their own regulations. Direct from the ATF website, "The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the State police, State or local district attorney or prosecutor."
Not their laws, just what they are willing to accept. In Texas the Chief Law Enforcement Officer is the County Sheriff.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
QB

Post by QB »

Phew.....glad I used the Denton County Sheriff for my paperwork....now yet another wait begins. :bigmouth

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”