Unfair to use an AR-15 against would-be burglars?

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Unfair to use an AR-15 against would-be burglars?

Post by KLB »

I just saw a link to this story, though it's almost two years old. An Oklahoma homeowner kills three night-time burglars. The grandfather of one of the thieves announces that the AR-15 made the fight unfair.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/0 ... fair-fight

Now, I can't speak for others, but when I encounter three home invaders in the dark of night, the last thing I want is a fair fight. As they told us at Quantico, when you're fighting for your life, forget about fairness and take every advantage you can get.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Unfair to use an AR-15 against would-be burglars?

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Correction: the burglars had been to the house earlier in the daytime, then returned later in the daytime.
IIRC, 1 or more of them had a knife. No one was home during incursion 1, but the 21 year old son was home during incursion 2.

Home invasion + weapons + 3 men = AR-15 use is authorized in my world.
It's just simple math.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

That's weird coincidence. I put together a post on the original incident yesterday, but didn't put it up until a minute or so ago (see OK: Home invasion goes badly for invaders). Now I see the bleating of the old man (which gives some insight as to why his grandkids thought breaking into a house was no big deal). Instapundit has a link to the bit about grandpa as well. Weird, because this happened almost two years ago.
USAF 1982-2005

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Unfair? I'd say its VERY unfair to have 4 criminals against 1 homeowner. That AR15 definitely evened the odds.

If we are looking for a root cause, I'd put the responsibility on that "grandfather". He is a horrible person to blame the victim. The criminals knew what they were doing and are ultimately responsible for the results.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

It wasn't "fair" for 3 people to break into a home in the middle of the night; it also wasn't anything close to legal! :banghead:

They got what they deserved!
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

When deadly force is needed or used, "fairness" is not a standard to be concerned with. The concern should only be whether it is reasonable for a person to utilize deadly force or not.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Allons

Post by Allons »

In the end, Schumacher said he supports the Second Amendment right to bear arms but doesn't agree with killing home invaders.
:shock:

As for the fair fight, they got what they deserved. :fire Home Invaders!
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

There is no such thing as a fair fight. Unless you are in a ring and have a referee.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

The homeowner failed to treat these unacompanied minor children seeking asylum in his home with the dignity and hospitality they deserved.

Oh sorry he did.

Some lessons are hard.

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

Middle Age Russ wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:41 am When deadly force is needed or used, "fairness" is not a standard to be concerned with. The concern should only be whether it is reasonable for a person to utilize deadly force or not.

:iagree:

ELB

Post by ELB »

I guess to make it "fairer" the son could have mounted a bayonet on his AR15 and skewered them.
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The fight became “unfair” when the burglars (PLURAL) entered the home. Period.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

KLB wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:08 am As they told us at Quantico, when you're fighting for your life, forget about fairness and take every advantage you can get.
True dat!

1:1 or 1:10

Fight to win. Fight to live.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Unfair advantage? I don't believe it is unfair for the use of any deadly weapon in defense of yourself, especially when there are multiple attackers. Brass knuckles can kill with one strike. I'm not going to stop home invaders and ask for an inventory of the weapons they have brought before selecting the "appropriate" self defense weapon.

The grandfather appears to live down by Denial river.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

These aren't my sayings, just something I found a while back and agree with. "In combat, there are no rules, always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose." And, "the faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." That second one applies to being stabbed, as well.

You know how to not get shot by an AR-15 while breaking into someone's house? Simple, don't break into someone's house.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”