Question: Chief Law Enforcement Office for NFA FORM 4 Notification

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Question: Chief Law Enforcement Office for NFA FORM 4 Notification

Post by ScottDLS »

C-dub wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm
QB wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:09 am I jus try completed my forms and used the Denton County Sheriff.....thanks for all the replies. And yes, it's just a notification, something I didn't have to do before the changes that went into effect (I have a trust).
That’s interesting. I didn’t realize that a trust allowed someone to circumvent having LE sign off on this before. And here I thought these changes only requiring notification were going to make these things easier.
That was the only reason 99% of people used trusts or other entities before. While the new regs in 2016 made it easier for people who previously couldn't find an acceptable (to ATF) CLEO to sign off, they now require photo and fingerprints for all the "responsible parties" of the entity. I got two machine guns and a silencer in 2002 and 2005 and was able to get the Denton County Sheriff at the time to sign off. Now that no sign off required all the cool stuff (transferable machine guns) have gone up 200-400%. $25,000 for a transferable M16... Sorry, I'll spend the money to get licensed as a Type 07/02 FFL manufacturer and build my own toys... :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Although the primary motivation for setting up a trust is gone, i.e. CLEO sign-off, there is still a good reason to have one. If you have NFA items in your name in your collection, passing them along to an heir can be problematic. If you have a trust, those heirs can be part of the trust and you can add people like grandchildren as time allows. It makes life easier for your spouse, kids, grandchildren, etc.

Chas.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/trans ... s/download

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:31 pm Although the primary motivation for setting up a trust is gone, i.e. CLEO sign-off, there is still a good reason to have one. If you have NFA items in your name in your collection, passing them along to an heir can be problematic. If you have a trust, those heirs can be part of the trust and you can add people like grandchildren as time allows. It makes life easier for your spouse, kids, grandchildren, etc.

Chas.
If you have one NFA item not under a trust and one NFA item under a trust how can you move the one that is not under the trust to the trust?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:33 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:31 pm Although the primary motivation for setting up a trust is gone, i.e. CLEO sign-off, there is still a good reason to have one. If you have NFA items in your name in your collection, passing them along to an heir can be problematic. If you have a trust, those heirs can be part of the trust and you can add people like grandchildren as time allows. It makes life easier for your spouse, kids, grandchildren, etc.

Chas.
If you have one NFA item not under a trust and one NFA item under a trust how can you move the one that is not under the trust to the trust?
If that is a tax-free transfer then you would use Form 5. If it's a taxable transfer, then it would be a Form 4 transfer. If it's taxable, it's not worth paying another $200. I added a link to my prior post. It's the BATFE letter on this issue.

Chas.

DocV

Post by DocV »

This is interesting as I am starting the same process. Called the McLennan County Sherrif's office. They referred me to Waco PD.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

DocV wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 pm This is interesting as I am starting the same process. Called the McLennan County Sherrif's office. They referred me to Waco PD.
You don't need to call them. Just put the information on the forms, and send it to whoever you choose that is on the ATFs list. They don't get to decide they don't want to deal with it.
NRA Benefactor Member

Texas1836

Post by Texas1836 »

Curious as to what a County Sheriff or Chief of Police does with these notifications. Stick them in a drawer, throw them away or keep them readily accessible? Do they have any requirements by law to handle these notifications in a certain manner?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Texas1836 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:49 am Curious as to what a County Sheriff or Chief of Police does with these notifications. Stick them in a drawer, throw them away or keep them readily accessible? Do they have any requirements by law to handle these notifications in a certain manner?
They make their own list of places NOT to do "no knock entries" and to be very cautious around and patient when waiting after knocking politely on the door. :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
QB
Posts in topic: 6

Post by QB »

Well my paperwork was just submitted and I mailed a copy of the Form 4 and the "Responsible Person" form for each member on my trust to the Denton County Sheriff.
This added requirement is a bummer but better than having to have a sign off. My other submissions a few years back were approved within 4 months but I hear I'm in for a longer wait this time. Guess I'll stock up on 9mm subsonic ammo in the meantime. :lol:
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

QB wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 pm Well my paperwork was just submitted and I mailed a copy of the Form 4 and the "Responsible Person" form for each member on my trust to the Denton County Sheriff.
This added requirement is a bummer but better than having to have a sign off. My other submissions a few years back were approved within 4 months but I hear I'm in for a longer wait this time. Guess I'll stock up on 9mm subsonic ammo in the meantime. :lol:
Yeah the new Denton County Sheriff said he would sign off if he was elected in 2015(?) (he was, and I voted for him), the previous one wouldn't.

In early 2000's Sheriff Weldon Lucas would sign (or his designate Lt. Johnny Guest), but that was 15+ years ago...

Now with the new regs you don't need sign off, but every "responsible member" of an entity has to do fingerprints and photo. I suspect that slows things up. I really want to buy another machine gun, but I can't handle the prices. Maybe I'll buy a silencer for one of my AR-15's or my pistols.
Last edited by ScottDLS on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

QB wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 pm Well my paperwork was just submitted and I mailed a copy of the Form 4 and the "Responsible Person" form for each member on my trust to the Denton County Sheriff.
Yeah I got an email from the American Suppressor Association that they checks are getting cashed, but with the shutdown nothing is actually getting down with the paperwork.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
QB
Posts in topic: 6

Post by QB »

Jago668 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:28 pm
Yeah I got an email from the American Suppressor Association that they checks are getting cashed, but with the shutdown nothing is actually getting down with the paperwork.
😭
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I know you have to notify ATF if you transport a registered item across state lines non-commercially, but do you/they notify CLEO in the other state(s)?

I believe there's no ATF notification requirement to transport a registered item within the state, but what about moving within Texas? Does the CLEO there get notified? If so, can you list the TxAG or DPS chief as CLEO? :evil2:

Thank you. I don't own any registered items yet but I'm considering it. I'm already on The List anyway, so what's a few bucks to legally "make" a SBR or integral hearing protection?
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”